Comparison of Math (2 Viewers)

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
How harder is 4U compared to 3U? What mark in the yearly test would you have to get to get into Ext 2 Math? Is the algebra much harder? <-- Not including Conics

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
I struggle more with 3u than I do 4u.

Assessment task I got 87% for 4u whereas 64% for 3u.

I'll update you on my half yerly mark however, its a better indicator.

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
tommykins said:
I struggle more with 3u than I do 4u.

Assessment task I got 87% for 4u whereas 64% for 3u.

I'll update you on my half yearly mark however, its a better indicator.
So its must not be that hard from what you have told me. But what did you get last year for your 3U yearly test mark?

EDIT: Whats the lowest mark that you can get that you still can go into Ext 2

Last edited:

undalay

HSC
my school lowest i think was 70% in 3u to get in 4u.

Manipulating algebra is the easy part of 4u (imo anyway)

YannY

HSC
undalay said:
my school lowest i think was 70% in 3u to get in 4u.

Manipulating algebra is the easy part of 4u (imo anyway)
Sif 70% man There were people with less than 50% that got in. im pretty certain. Some of them had to fight in but there were a few that didnt.

undalay

HSC
okay the "official" cut off was 70%.

If you wrote letters to the school, then you could get in with lower marks.

However.
The average for 3unit was like ... 65%?
And half the grade (last year) got band 6 for 3unit.

YannY

HSC
4u has a differently level of algebra i.e complex numbers algebra, intense inequalities and super trig algebra, like everything is algebra even alittle in graphing. They're all part of algebra. Fuck i wish i did 12units so then i can drop down to 3u maths

wogblogger

HSC
4unit is basically learning techniques
if u like to "understand" and not memories then u will get 90+ for 4unit at end of ur hsc
its realy not that hard.. the only thing thats "hard" is ....harder 3unit
4unit ive learnt is just talked up heaps by people who are doing it that arnt that good at it(they will prob still get 80+)

dont waste time talking about it just do it

p.s if you are worried that you might drop 4unit,, then do what i did ie,, only have 10units so u have to keep it LOL

YannY

HSC
undalay said:
okay the "official" cut off was 70%.

If you wrote letters to the school, then you could get in with lower marks.

However.
The average for 3unit was like ... 65%?
And half the grade (last year) got band 6 for 3unit.
Last year and our year are far from being the same, they had many intelligent maths people plus last year's exam was piss easy and band6 performance jumped 5% across the state in HMX2.

As for our year i think you can say my performance reflects its quality, as someone who only started doing maths half way through year 11. And this year i dont think maths will be easier.

undalay

HSC
Its true that our grader is shitter compared to '07 which had many brilliant people (and our grade has none).
Although there were still people who got <70% for the first complex exam, and ended up getting 95+ for 4u hsc mark.
And last years complex was dead ez comapred to ours.

YannY

HSC
Complex numbers test is just a wake up call. Besides our years complex was not that hard either - i finished the test 10minutes early but as you know my past haunts me and my lack of practice caused me to make silly mistakes. Overall i reckon our test was probably 10% harder than the previous one. I got similar in both tests but i knew everything in the tests. It was just my hands that pulled me back.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
kurt.physics said:
So its must not be that hard from what you have told me. But what did you get last year for your 3U yearly test mark?

EDIT: Whats the lowest mark that you can get that you still can go into Ext 2
Thus far, I don't find it THAT hard, of course theres questions that stump me but poly/conics/complex don't seem to difficult so far.

i averaged 75% in 3u last year, we have a few 30-40% averages doing 4unit.

Affinity

HSC
kurt.physics said:
How harder is 4U compared to 3U? What mark in the yearly test would you have to get to get into Ext 2 Math?
1) depends on the way one approaches mathematics. It happens that 3U doesn't really differentiate between rote learners and those who think. For those who think 4U is not that much harder.

2) depends on your school/difficulty of paper

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Extension 2 Sounds heaps good!!! I personally like to understand the concept then memorise formulas, so its right up my ally, and i have an obsession to prove (Unless its congruency or similarity ;)

I have read a bit about the syllabus and mechanics and complex numbers are the ones im looking forward to.

I think i would be able to do it easy because our school pritty much just uses MIF (Maths in Focus). I dont know about you guys but i find that easy. So ive dont Chapters 1, 2 and 3 in the Extension 1 book and done Chapter 1, 2, 3 and 4 and half of 5 in the 2U. For the extension 1, i will ship Ch 4 (geometry) for reasons a, its exactly the same as ch 4 in the other one and b, i will do the chapter again just before i start circle geometry later on, so yeh. Where are you (preliminary HSC) guys at?

Also, i was talking to the head maths teacher, and he claims that you learn the proof of arguably the most elegant equation ever! e + 1 = 0. Do yous get to do that?

rooeys2

i like to laugh =)
HSC
YannY said:
Complex numbers test is just a wake up call. Besides our years complex was not that hard either - i finished the test 10minutes early but as you know my past haunts me and my lack of practice caused me to make silly mistakes. Overall i reckon our test was probably 10% harder than the previous one. I got similar in both tests but i knew everything in the tests. It was just my hands that pulled me back.
stop boasting yang =P

YannY

HSC
yeah i learnt that stuff from the chinese maths book! wo0t its useless though. Go chinese text books~~~ they have no mistakes in them because if they do the writers will be shot literally.

Foxodi

HSC
People dont struggle with conics? Sif, you guys must have ezy-mode textbook questions, naturally brillerent or pushed your way through 30+ difficult questions until you knew how to answer nearly every type of question conics related....

But other then that, yeah I dont find 4u any harder then 3u, and its defiantly the most interesting subject I have. (though modern history is pretty interesting ^^)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)