Competing with selective schools (1 Viewer)

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
Prioritize respectively:
1) Weaknesses
2) Units
3) Interests
You might just be able to identify and consider what competition can lead to from real life experience. To answer your question, HSC sciences are about rote-learning, so as long as you can completely rote-learn each and every important aspect of the syllabus dot-point that requires consideration. Make sample responses for long responses such as those ' assess', 'discuss' etc. and practice writing these responses relative to your verb to not lose marks. Look at the Board Of Studies Website and extract from their sample response, and when you have the perfect sample response try to remember it. For calculations expose yourself to as many different and difficult questions as possible, especially the stoichiometry and other calculation (pH, Heat capacity etc) questions in Chemistry- Do trial papers and HSC papers this helps. And in Maths you cannot and absolutely cannot rote learn. Remember to put more effort in subjects where people in your grade are better so that you don't lag behind. For Math- Trial Papers, HSC papers would be rewarding and most importantly keep confidence. I am not so sure about School Ranking and how much that affects HSC but I hope that the ideas I provided would come to help. Wish you the very best and again keep confidence- key factor.

anguyenh

HSC
Also, the teaching in selective schools isn't that great. The work may be harder and taught more quickly but some teachers are just...

That's why selective kids all go tutoring. Good luck, your school definitely does not limit what you can do!

This is so true, haha. It's just the environment that pushes us to work harder. When you've got kids around you crying about getting 92% in assessments and dropping from Rank 5 to 8 in Max2... well...

Honestly my tips to studying would be:
- Do past selective school papers (esp. Maths) to get a feel of how hard the exams could be.
- Do past HSC papers

That's it. Really...

Or for other subjects (e.g. Ancient, Legal) just gather as many past papers as you can and identify the (limited) amount of questions they can ask you in the exam. And really remember your syllabus for particular subjects. (e.g. Business Studies)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)