Competing with selective schools (1 Viewer)

moonshoes

HSC
N/A
I go to regional school that sits at around 300th in the state for HSC ranking. Although my brother got a high 90's ATAR, my year is considerably less academic.

As an example- my Chemistry class contains just three students.

It would be great if some metro and selective school students could provide some insight on anything that helps you place highly in the state. Even if you just post your study routines, or what work your teachers assign that helps to heighten your grades.

Hopefully we can create a link between regional students who wish to succeed and metro students who are willing to help. I think my fellow regional students would be glad for some friendly competition outside of their school!

Thanks!
ms

turntaker

HSC
I'm in the same position but my school is like 540 th. Just a tip never only rely on what the schools sets you. Always do past papers and extra work. And make notes. Its not about the school and its more about the student. Also I don't think selective school people will help since it will be bad for them if they tell us stuff haha. Also their teachers will teach them stuff outside the course which will make it easier for them to do some hsc level question. They also get harder assessments and more homework. That's the only disadvantage but a public school student can still achieve a high atar.

HSC
Hey, I transferred into a selective this year. I'm not very experienced with stuff yet but one very good thing to do in my opinion is to refer to multiple textbooks. For maths do questions from Cambridge, Fitzpatrick, Maths in Focus. Expose yourself to different types of questions. Pick the more challenging questions.

For other subjects (eg chem) also get multiple textbooks and make comprehensive notes based on all of them.

Also, the teaching in selective schools isn't that great. The work may be harder and taught more quickly but some teachers are just...

That's why selective kids all go tutoring. Good luck, your school definitely does not limit what you can do!

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Hey, I transferred into a selective this year. I'm not very experienced with stuff yet but one very good thing to do in my opinion is to refer to multiple textbooks. For maths do questions from Cambridge, Fitzpatrick, Maths in Focus. Expose yourself to different types of questions. Pick the more challenging questions.

For other subjects (eg chem) also get multiple textbooks and make comprehensive notes based on all of them.

Also, the teaching in selective schools isn't that great. The work may be harder and taught more quickly but some teachers are just...

That's why selective kids all go tutoring. Good luck, your school definitely does not limit what you can do!
Never ever use Maths in focus. NEVER.

moonshoes

HSC
N/A
I don't blame my school for having a bad ranking. :)

Thanks for the help! I'm already trying to hoard different textbooks on my hard drive to get the upper hand.

Are you enjoying your new school? Or are the teachers bad?

matchalolz

HSC
already said above but use multiple textbooks for maths especially - cambridge, fitzpatrick, terry lee. do lots of questions and practice with past papers. i also have a book where i write down all the really difficult questions, which i go over before an exam. i dont do chemistry so i can't really help on that haha.

moonshoes

HSC
N/A
already said above but use multiple textbooks for maths especially - cambridge, fitzpatrick, terry lee. do lots of questions and practice with past papers. i also have a book where i write down all the really difficult questions, which i go over before an exam. i dont do chemistry so i can't really help on that haha.
Thanks for that. Are you enjoying prelim?

sabz1996

HSC
This is how I study for chemistry.

Every night, I test myself on the dot point/s that were covered that day. I read over the notes that my teacher provided in class, read the relevant information in the textbook as well (Conquering Chemistry). Also, I usually go onto the internet for dot points that I don't thoroughly understand (sources such as youtube, bos, simply typing the keywords into google followed by "hsc") and read/watch the information provided there. Once I finally feel confident with the information, I take out a blank piece of paper (for theory-type dot points), write the dot point at the top of the page and scribble down an answer to the dot point without referring to any sources so it's solely from my own understanding. I also refer to my success one chemistry textbook and attempt relevant past questions from there (on nights when I have an assessment coming up or have too much homework for other subjects, I either only do one question or may even skip this step). Doing this every night takes about an hour but I have found it to be much easier, less stressful then cramming and of course, a lot more effective!

That way when exams are approaching, I don't have to sit there trying to understand the content (considering the fact that there isn't enough time) and can proceed straight to attempting past papers and perfecting my answers. Also, when exam time is approaching, I try to find myself harder questions.

This is how I study so I give chemistry an hour each night unless I have an assessment and that's because chemistry used to be my weak subject and thankfully, I've improved heaps by giving it more time than other subjects.

I hope this helps and then again, different study methods suit different students. :)

Also, please see the following thread, it may serve as a bit of inspiration! :)

http://community.boredofstudies.org...spiration-your-school-rank-doesnt-matter.html

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
My school only had 3 people in MX2 in a 600+ rank.

We still got a a better average together than many top 50 schools.

School rank makes no difference.

Combo

beast
HSC
There's a reason you only used it once
funny m8, have some respect for the authors lol
i bet you're a posh cambridge punk who thinks its be best because it says "cambridge" <- worst 4u book 5eva

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)