Competitive vs non competitive (1 Viewer)

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
i think a little healthy competition is ok I think esspecially with the higher ranking people. I think that as long as you are supportive at the same time and are working together a little healthy competition, however if they need help give it to them you are still going to be judged as a cohort, i find competition effective as it pushes you to do well.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
bawd said:
98% of our year freely share their marks around; sometimes someone would get a really bad mark and rather keep it to themselves, which of course is perfectly understandable. What I do not understand however, is those who get competitive by keeping ideas to themselves in class.

We were having a discussion about Othello in English Advanced and just pouring out streams of consciousness in an attempt to get ideas for the upcoming assessment task. This one guy, let's call him X (he was a pretty good guy in year 10, but he's been getting cocky lately), then gets a good idea, whispers it to a mate (we'll call him Y) who tells him it's excellent and to tell the class (or confirm the idea with the teacher, I don't know for certain) and he says, "But everyone else will hear it!" Then, half the class turns to him and just goes "What the hell X, we're trying to help each other here!" But he just shrugs it off with a smirk. :vcross:
Good work Mr. X.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I only brag when I gety a good mark in English which is very rare and when I do good in English everyone else does as well so no one feels bad.

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
When I ask people "how'd you go?" I don't actually care how much they did better/worse than me. I ask it out of politeness.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
bawd said:
98% of our year freely share their marks around; sometimes someone would get a really bad mark and rather keep it to themselves, which of course is perfectly understandable. What I do not understand however, is those who get competitive by keeping ideas to themselves in class.

We were having a discussion about Othello in English Advanced and just pouring out streams of consciousness in an attempt to get ideas for the upcoming assessment task. This one guy, let's call him X (he was a pretty good guy in year 10, but he's been getting cocky lately), then gets a good idea, whispers it to a mate (we'll call him Y) who tells him it's excellent and to tell the class (or confirm the idea with the teacher, I don't know for certain) and he says, "But everyone else will hear it!" Then, half the class turns to him and just goes "What the hell X, we're trying to help each other here!" But he just shrugs it off with a smirk. :vcross:
Oh yeah. Nothing I hate more than those guys too.

the-derivative said:
Those aren't real asians... in most cases..

but since you're at boys... 150/210... might still own?
Nah, 150th at our school looks pretty bad. Getting about 80th at our school would classify you at about 'good', whereas getting to about 120 would be pushing 'average'.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
lol in HSC all regards for morales and ethics are dropped. The aim is rank 1 for every subject and you don't care how you get there as long as you do.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
You obviously didn't identify the sarcasm.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
the-derivative said:
Yeah that could work..

Then everyone will hate you by the end of Year 12 and you'll end up as a nerd and a loner.
I'd rather be a loner, rank 1 in all my subjects, and walk out of school with smiles and laughter when I receive that 99+ UAI to get into my preference course :).

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Razizi said:
I'd rather be a loner, rank 1 in all my subjects, and walk out of school with smiles and laughter when I receive that 99+ UAI to get into my preference course :).

I would rather be both. And I strive to become one. :rolleyes:

Aplus

HSC
N/A
I've never knew a time when I wasn't told to be competitive. Family influence...

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
Aplus said:
I've never knew a time when I wasn't told to be competitive. Family influence...
Typical Asian parents, aye Victor?

Sonata

HSC
happens all the time in my school... gets annoying if ur not at the top lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)