Completing a degree and going into another degree? (1 Viewer)

itszen

HSC
Hi there, after year 12 im considering doing an exercise science degree, though i cant see myself doing a career out of this that would last a long time. To which could i apply for another unrelated undergraduate degree (say commerce?) after i finish and work for a couple of years? Would i be able to do this even if i dont get a credit average of my exercise science degree? Im really confused with this university entry, anyone willing to explain how it works?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Hi there, after year 12 im considering doing an exercise science degree, though i cant see myself doing a career out of this that would last a long time. To which could i apply for another unrelated undergraduate degree (say commerce?) after i finish and work for a couple of years? Would i be able to do this even if i dont get a credit average of my exercise science degree? Im really confused with this university entry, anyone willing to explain how it works?
Yes, you could come back after a few years and do another degree. You should as well look into doing a double degree (e.g. B Science/B Commerce) now.

sinophile2

HSC
N/A
Why not just do a double/combined degree. With commerce and science, you only add 1 more year of study if im not mistaken. However during thsoe 4 years u'll have to work harder. Though not that much harder because commerce tends not to have a lot of in-class hours.

itszen

HSC
tbh i pefer doing an exercise science degree by it self, a science degree contains other science subjects that i consider hard while exercise science goes straight to the point of the exercise theme. But do you know if i have maintain a credit average or anything to complete another undergraduate after a while? Also, for a combined degree, is the HECS fees the same as a single degree?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
tbh i pefer doing an exercise science degree by it self, a science degree contains other science subjects that i consider hard while exercise science goes straight to the point of the exercise theme. But do you know if i have maintain a credit average or anything to complete another undergraduate after a while? Also, for a combined degree, is the HECS fees the same as a single degree?
You wouldn't need to maintain an average if you're taking a gap between courses. HECS is more for a double degree, because you're there longer. It's not overly more though.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
imo, you should do a commerce/science degree, or if u want do science, and then do master in commerce or something (if u can do that?)

sinophile2

HSC
N/A
Ah yeah, there are also two problems with taking one after the other:
- General education: some unis (i know unsw has it) has compulsory general education, where you have to take some units from a different faculty to get your degree, for 'having a wide education' reasons. often there are 'spaces' in the degree itself where you're meant to put a general ed subject in there. this 'space' might cause some problems. if you do a double degree, however, you dont need to take gen ed because the subjects in your other degree are considered gen ed.
- doing one degree after the other takes more time. do you honestly want to spend 6-7 years doing a degree instead of 4 or 5?

itszen

HSC
so if you finished a degree could you apply again for another undergraduate degree even if you dont have a credit average on the previous degree? How does the university determine who gets in their course that already finished a degree beforehand?

itszen

HSC
im kinda confused. Can you give me an example maybe? Also, how does this university fees work? I know i will be deferring my university fees until i start working, so if i do a combined degree would it be more expensive then a single degree?

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
im kinda confused. Can you give me an example maybe? Also, how does this university fees work? I know i will be deferring my university fees until i start working, so if i do a combined degree would it be more expensive then a single degree?
no, doing 2 degrees separately will be A LOT more expensive than doing a combined degree. A combined degree is NOT more expensive than a single degree, it is the SAME price (per year).

In short. Don't do 2 undergraduate degrees one after another. IT IS A WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY. THERE ARE NO PRO'S FOR IT! (Unless you just want to stay in uni and pay more money)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
so if you finished a degree could you apply again for another undergraduate degree even if you dont have a credit average on the previous degree?
Yes

How does the university determine who gets in their course that already finished a degree beforehand?
Various selection criteria. In particular what you've done over the past few years. More info here: http://www.gooduniguide.com.au/Mature-Age-Students

im kinda confused. Can you give me an example maybe?
Of what?

- General education:
Think of these as filler electives subjects. My uni just calls them electives. If you do a double degree, you don't have to do these subjects.

Also, how does this university fees work?
You pay per subject you do.

I know i will be deferring my university fees until i start working, so if i do a combined degree would it be more expensive then a single degree?
Yes it would. But it is cheaper than doing two degrees seperately.

itszen

HSC
Oh okay, thanks guys for answering my questions! If i have more i'll post them up if i can think of any.

X

xeuyrawp

no, doing 2 degrees separately will be A LOT more expensive than doing a combined degree. A combined degree is NOT more expensive than a single degree, it is the SAME price (per year).

In short. Don't do 2 undergraduate degrees one after another. IT IS A WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY. THERE ARE NO PRO'S FOR IT! (Unless you just want to stay in uni and pay more money)
What?

You pay per subject, which doesn't change.

The issue is running out of HECS-HELP; I'm not sure how long they give you. In the past it was 9 years' worth, not sure now.

izzy88

HSC
What?

The issue is running out of HECS-HELP; I'm not sure how long they give you. In the past it was 9 years' worth, not sure now.
I believe you have equivalent of 7 years of HECS-HELP- so you can do two degrees on hecs help :)

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
What?

yes, but if u do 2 degrees separately, it will be 2 years longer (or so). Hence paying for 2 years more of subjects.

izzy88

HSC
yes, but if u do 2 degrees separately, it will be 2 years longer (or so). Hence paying for 2 years more of subjects.
to my knowledge, most combined degrees only save 1 year- so its one year of extra money, rather than two...eg. combined arts/law is 5 years whereas separately its 6.

the positive of not doing combined is that you get more opportunity to do broader range of subjects in your first degree. eg. if doing arts/law combined I only got 1 arts major whereas if I had done them separately i would have done 2 majors.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
^^yeah but we're not talking about faggy degrees though

com and sci would be 6 years seperately and combined would be 4(?) . so defs better to do combined.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
most things would save 2 years.
e.g.
com/sci,com/arts,sci/arts,eng/sci etc.

so, the benefit might be an extra major, and if that's what you really want, then I guess you could take that option. (worth it only if its just an extra 1 year imo)
if it was a something thats longer by 2 years, you could probably just spend an extra year studying and get a double major? (prob should talk to faculty about this first though to confirm)

Last edited:

izzy88

HSC
com and sci would be 6 years seperately and combined would be 4(?) . so defs better to do combined.
actually commerce/science or commerce/arts at usyd is 5 years. So it only saves you 1 year. Although i guess it really depends on the university/course as to how long combined degrees will take- it probably changes depending on the university.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)