• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Conception Day 2005 (2 Viewers)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Phanatic said:
Conception Day 2005 is Macquarie students only. I don't even think ex-students will be allowed in, but I have to verify this.

However, the order has come down from the University Management (Vice-Chancellor Di Yerbury) banning SAM from using the grass outside her offices (which is the grass area) and limiting CD to Mac students only. One can only guess why this is so: apparantly she's always hated Conception Day (though I have a photo of her on a dodgem car in 1996!), and I'd imagine it's something to do with the 'party' image Mac has (which I believe is completely unfounded - we're no longer a party Uni at all!)

We're thinking about massive awareness campaigns - lecture bashing, chalking, postering, maybe a rally or two, just to let the Vice-Chancellor know how 'upset' we are. If you want to get involved, check out our thread on the issue: http://www.oneeightydegrees.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=94 - you don't have to be registered to post.
damn that sucks

AFTER CONCEPTION DAY DI IS AT MAC FOR ANOTHER 2 MONTHS! she has been there for years - why does she want to take away the day the uni is known for? and now?!

the party image isn't a bad thing, we work our arses off, it's nice to have a party image to hide behind

lecture bashing doesn't sound good. the majority of the uni doesn't know this is going to happen - i know from here, i have heard of 1 person only who knows about it from an outside source.

i really like your slogan a lot "if there was no conception day you wouldn't be here"

Last edited:

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
dodgem cars???? THEY HAVE DODGEM CARS!!!!!

I am soooo going this year if they have dodgem cars..

EDIT: anything that takes my mind off the mind-numbing pain that my growing wisdom teeth is giving me.. weh

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
cro_angel said:
ok i have got to ask
what is with the whole meeting someone at the gym at 3pm thing which is chalked all over campus?
The Fix = Hillsong = the devil

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
Are there going to be any non-student bands at c-day?
Most if not all bands are non-student.

Actually i dont think there wa sa single student band last year nor the years prior.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Cyan_phoeniX said:
dodgem cars???? THEY HAVE DODGEM CARS!!!!!

I am soooo going this year if they have dodgem cars..

EDIT: anything that takes my mind off the mind-numbing pain that my growing wisdom teeth is giving me.. weh
go early because they close early, best of all they are free (if they have them this year)

zipztar

HSC
hate crime

You know what? I think that Di or whatever her name is should be charged with a hate crime. Shes leaving yet she wants to m00t it up for us.. i recon shes thinking" ill go out with a bang" cos thats the only bang ill get in my whole life. I seriously wouldnt give a humpety fuck if they cancelled conception day altogether, because whats the point in having a party when itll be stunted?! ITs like coffee without the beans.... its like apples without the core... its like.. well u get the idea. IT STINKS

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
the problem with the picture is di is majorly cool, she seems to care about the students and i like her a lot, i find it strange that in her final weeks at the uni she would cancel the most important day of the mac calender

X

xeuyrawp

iambored said:
the problem with the picture is di is majorly cool, she seems to care about the students and i like her a lot
Er... Are you serious?

180 Degree's 800+ petition letters didn't even get a response from her.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
AsyLum said:
Most if not all bands are non-student.

Actually i dont think there wa sa single student band last year nor the years prior.
My mate (who's a student, and also president of the macquarie university law society) had his band play first on the punk stage 2 years ago. But I wasn't aware of any others.

X

xeuyrawp

GoodToGo said:
My mate (who's a student, and also president of the macquarie university law society) had his band play first on the punk stage 2 years ago. But I wasn't aware of any others.
Ah, well I'm sure he's a strapping fellow- was he the one to write the "Bring back Drew Fraser" bullshit, or did he just tell someone to write it?

I got asked by someone in my English class to play with them on Conception Day, apparently they know that they're doing it, but I still haven't got any of the specifics.

Phanatic

HSC
Traditionally the winners of the Band Comp play at Conception Day, and the rest are outside acts. However, this years winners, Nil by Mouth have not been asked to play, due to "insurance reasons".

X

xeuyrawp

Phanatic said:
Traditionally the winners of the Band Comp play at Conception Day, and the rest are outside acts. However, this years winners, Nil by Mouth have not been asked to play, due to "insurance reasons".
Really? So noone else plays? Why was I asked then...

Phanatic

HSC
Well they're making a push for acts from in and around Sydney, so that doesn't necessarily exclude bands with Macquarie students in them. Traditionally though they tend not to be, though it's not a hard and fast rule. Considering for a while Conception Day was going to be cancelled, they might have more student bands this year, as they don't have much time to organise it.

X

xeuyrawp

Phanatic said:
Well they're making a push for acts from in and around Sydney, so that doesn't necessarily exclude bands with Macquarie students in them. Traditionally though they tend not to be, though it's not a hard and fast rule. Considering for a while Conception Day was going to be cancelled, they might have more student bands this year, as they don't have much time to organise it.
If conception day gets cancelled, I'm taking my busine-- I mean tertiary education elsewhere :p

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
ok whos this di lady? and im sure youve answered it, why does she have a say about concepo?

X

xeuyrawp

Orange Juice said:
ok whos this di lady? and im sure youve answered it, why does she have a say about concepo?
Emeritus Professor Dianne Yerbury AO is the Vice-Chancellor of our University. Essentially it means that she runs the entire uni. However, she is not supposed to have anything to do with SAM and hence conception day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)