Concert Review Thread (2 Viewers)

Cub Thesaurus

HSC
Re: Official Concert Review Thread

Tegan and Sara January 2009

Late but oh well.

I was fucking pumped for this gig.

UNTIL, the pizza guys on emore road said he was gonna kill us. Mmm interesting experience.

Back to the point.

Jezabels ----> An Horse ----> Tegan and Sara

Jezabels, were an amazing act, but after waiting 5 hours in line you just wanna see the band you paid for and get out. Fuck standing. I was impressed the were musicians and seemed shy, which is nice to see.

AN HORSE. Didnt get a chance to hear the album "Rearrange beds" before going to the concert. But, I think for any person that enjoys that indie pop sound its a great cd to have. Damon the drummer is great, I think he's an awesome drummer and I think his drums really compliment Kate's guitar. By compliment, I mean his drumming is somewhat complex and kate's guitar riffs are quite simple. They played a great show and the crowd was their choir with a few of their songs, impressive. There song "little lungs" stood out for me, with all the other songs sounding upbeat this song was intense.

TEGAN & SARA. I love this band, and they sound even better off their records. How ever, sometimes you just want an intimate show. impossible with people throwing bras on stage and yelling "SARAAAA I LOOOVE YOU".

I feel like tegan and sara sorta let go their part of experience of the show by not rambling like they usually do. It sounds stupid but last year I had more fun being on the second barricade and listening to them talk shit and play a great show.

The other thing about last year was the sound was so much better. I'm not sure if it was because this year i was right near the stage or what. But I couldnt understand what they were saying and the music was distorted and shit. For waiting so long, I was so unimpressed.

L-esky

HSC

I went to the same concert when it was up in Brisbane.

I thought AAR were fucking amazing, though!
I was at the Brisbane show too. AAR amused me, I was in the second row from the barrier when they were playing and I really just want to know what drugs Tyson was on. He kept coming over to where I was standing and at one stage he started frothing at the mouth. It was probably one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen. Having said that, they were much better live than last time I saw them.

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC

Trivium Supported by Black Tide and Heaven Shall burn 14/5/09

Was the experience really as good as you expected? Yer it was sweet
What was the playlist like? Awesome, triviums was good, but they didnt play tread the floods or dying in your arms which sucked, black tide should have played prowler other than that i was good
The crowd demeanor? It went off
The band/singers energy? Awesome
The venue? UNSW roundhouse, needed a big/better venue

_trickster_

Currently High
HSC

a while a go...........

THE PRESETS AT HORDON PAVILION!!!

Was the experience really as good as you expected? HELLS YEAH, i mean, if feeling like your about to feint whilst moshing is BAD, then no, but otherwise yeah :D
What was the playlist like? LOOONG, (hence the feinting), 15 min encore, about 1.5-2 hour set NOT INCLUDING the supporting acts before it (Architecture in Helsinki and someone else) but heaps good
The crowd demeanor? lol, the amount of 13 year old sluts there was absolutely INCREDIBLE lol, one bloody 40yr old bogan ruining it for everyone, but apart from that awesome espech the front, fulla energy and hot sweaty half naked bodies everywhere :)
The band/singers energy? presets so good that they can just stand there, make really bad dance moves and shout their names a couple of times and the crowd would go crazy
The venue? hordon pavillion, handnt heard of it before that, its alright

:haha: great fun

Arctopus

HSC

The Dillinger Escape Plan

Was the experience really as good as you expected?
Yep, was one of the best shows I've seen.
What was the playlist like?
A really nice spread of songs ranging from their earliest album and EP's to their latest album.
The crowd demeanor?
High energy; everyone getting sweaty and angry.
The band/singers energy?
I've never seen a band that comes anywhere near matching the intensity of Dillinger's stage presence.
The venue?
The Forum, Sydney, opposite the Hordern Pavillion. Really nice venue, not too big and not too small.

Kiim2507

HSC

All American Rejects w/ Hoobastank and The Sundace Kids at Enmore Theatre 22/08/09

Supports
Missed The Sundance Kids but Hoobastank were awesome. Way better live then I expected.
Better. AAR were fucking awesomeeeee
It was pretty good...there were some songs I would've loved them to played but overall pretty sweet.
The crowd demeanor?
Everyone was going insane...one of the best crowds I've been in in a long time.
The band/singers energy?
Tyson is a fucking nut. He was running around the stage, humping guitars, giving Nick a blowjob.
The venue?
Enmore is awesome. The floor turns into a trampoline when everyone moshes.
Highlight
Move Along
Lowlight
15 year olds making out in front of me every 5 minutes..ergh no one wants to see that.

anyscope

HSC

All American Rejects w/ Hoobastank and The Sundace Kids at Enmore Theatre 22/08/09

Supports
Missed The Sundance Kids but Hoobastank were awesome. Way better live then I expected.
It was pretty good...there were some songs I would've loved them to played but overall pretty sweet.
The crowd demeanor?
The band/singers energy?
Tyson is a fucking nut. He was running around the stage, humping guitars, giving Nick a blowjob.
The venue?
Highlight
Move Along
Lowlight
15 year olds making out in front of me every 5 minutes..ergh no one wants to see that.
I agree with you. It was seriously a mad arse concert. And the floor trampoline was fucking epic! I was flinging so high in the airrrrr.

Hornby

Banned
HSC

Supports
The crowd demeanor?
The band/singers energy?
The venue?
Highlight
Move Along
Lowlight
Sundance kids were absolute shit, Hoobastank were a hell of alot better then I thought they would be. All American Rejects were pretty good. Crowd was not bad, a bit above average but nothing special. Trampoline floor was neato for jumping, Not bad, I'd give it a 6.5/10.

Hornby

Banned
HSC

Where were you standing? Crowd was awesome where I was
Second tier (back), smack bang near the middle near the barricade. Crowd was better then I thought it would be but still nothing special.

Hornby

Banned
HSC

Slayer and Megadeth w/Double Dragon at Horden Pavillion 08/10/09

Supports:

Double Dragon were pretty good but generic, nice and heavy to get the crowd into it, even a circle pit emerged towards end of set

Better. Megadeth were awesome from start to finish, crowd surge was awesome and Slayer were awesome although there start was pretty slow they hit their stride throughout the middle and were fucking relentless towards the end, if anything Megadeth upstaged Slayer. Moshpit was great, covered in bruises

Megadeth's was pretty fantastic although I didn't care much for she-wolf, Skin of my teeth, they played some awesome songs. Holy Wars with Mechanix in the middle to finish made my night. Slayer started off slow, but picked up around mandatory suicide and were fucking relentless from their on. Overall both were fantastic although I'd say Megadeth's playlist was awesome, I loved how they both bands but more so megadeth played the songs one after another.

The crowd demeanor?

Crowd was fucking insane for Megadeth and kept it going for Slayer.

The band/singers energy?

One word: Incredible.

The venue?

Hordern is slow to get into but apart from that pretty gppf

Highlight

Holy Wars/Mechanix and probably Hell Awaits

Lowlight

World Painted Blood

Overall: Concert was awesome although Slayer could have been better - 8.5/10

Stackiee

HSC

SIMPLE PLAN

No, it was heaps better.. I bought tickets on implulse when they were release and almost talked myself out of going, but they were fucking awesome, absolutely blew me away with how well they worked as a group and their stage perfmorance/ability.

Playlist

Again, fantastic they played some of their new ones and some old ones (did play save me which they did really well) Jump was good being used at the start as everyone got involved. They also did some of some other artist's songs which was hilarious (flo rider, i kissed a girl, etc)

The crowd demeanor?

One minus that sorta was a plus, it was all ages so there was a huge line up when doors opened and we watched from the pub accross the road, free entertainment from the trampy 15 year olds and this 15-16 year old chick who was drunk at 8pm and fell over 3 times in huge heels.

The band/singers energy?

Incredible, the lead singer was running around non stop and even managed to run from the stage to the stage manager's spot (they turned the lights off for a few seconds) and he was still good after running a hundred metres with people trying to grope him. (groupies who aren't legal, talk about disappointing.)

The venue?

Horden, was great, cool area to wait in before we went in and after when waiting for cabs, good size for the crowd (still room up the back behind all the teenieboppers)
i went to that show.
that was such an amazing concert :)

_trickster_

Currently High
HSC

ACDC

fuckin awesome mate

Stackiee

HSC

Cobra Starship w/ Owl City & Amy Merideth @ UNSW Roundhouse 16/3/2010

it was amazing, best concert ive ever been too. i didnt expect it to be that good

it was fantastic cobra opened with the city is at war so it got everyone even more hyped up. they played some of the songs from the old albums and some from the new album. owl city was amazing the majority of the songs he played were from the new album.
The crowd demeanor?
there wasnt that many fangirls which made me happy cause fangirls ruin everything.
The band/singers energy?
cobra had so much energy and so did owl city :) amy merideth had so much energy too
The venue?
of been a bit bigger. but other than it was really good

occer

HSC
N/A

Pixies w/ TheArt @ Hordern Pavillion 16/3/2010

It matchedthe wild expectations that I had for the gig, so yes.

From looking at the setlists over the three concerts they played, we had the best. They played the entirety of my favourite Pixies album and many of my favourite songs in the encore.

The crowd demeanor?

Mostly good, pretty friendly and the leb security guards even joked around with us. Some idiots kept crowdsurfitng though and one ginger kid got thrown off the top (but not out of the Hordern) four times too many imo. Hecklers during TheArt were excellently timed.

The band/singers energy?

TheArt were pretty awful. Hot bassist though. Pixies were even better and friendlier than I thought. Kim Deal was smiling throughout the show and they came out, bowed and waved at all the sections of the crowd.

The venue?

First time I've been to the Hordern...A++ would go again.

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC

Jamie Cullum with Matt Corby at The Basement 20/4/2010
Definitely. I saw Jamie four years ago at the State Theatre and it was the best show I've ever seen so I had high expectations for this gig. Was even better than I was hoping it to be. The best show I've been to since I last saw him.
It was great. He played songs from his past four albums. Old jazz songs, his own songs, slow songs and fast songs, some jazz renditions of contemporary songs, improvisations... everything. Lots of variety.
The crowd demeanor?
Great. Very enthusiastic and people were friendly. Crowd participation in some songs (London Skies chorus, Mixtape, Twentysomething) was awesome.
The band/singers energy?
Jamie is just amazing. He loves a chat with the crowd, funny guy, works the stage well (and the rest of the venue, what with the whole just moving the band down into the seated section and playing Cry Me a River in the middle of the crowd), plays the piano better than anyone I've ever seen. Jamie and his band know how to put on a good show.
Matt Corby was great although there wasn't much communication because the whole time he was playing hardly anyone had a clue who he was and he only introduced himself as "Matty". Nothing like I remember him to be on Idol. His music was just beautiful (reminded me a lot of Bon Iver and Jeff Buckley). Talented guy. I met him after the show because I wanted to find out who he was and we had a bit of a chat. Really nice guy.
The venue?
Wonderful and intimate. The first time I've ever been to the Basement.
Would you go see said band/singer again, why? why not?
Definitely. Jamie is the best performer I've ever seen. Seeing him live is inspiring.
I'd probably go see Matt Corby again too.

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC

Cloud Control opening for Vampire Weekend at Festival Hall 5/05/10
Absolutely. The whole set was incredibly energetic, loud, fun and Koenig seemed to be having the time of his life. Like the albums only cranked up and gone bananas. The light effects were crazy, too - between the flashing blue and red lights and the strobe light I'm surprised nobody ended up having a seizure.

I'd never heard of Cloud Control before last night but they're actually pretty wonderful, too.
They haven't got a particularly huge discography so they pretty much played all the songs on their albums. Which is what we all wanted, really.
The crowd demeanor?
Great - everyone was happy and excited to be there - though there were a couple of drunk guys making things difficult for part of it.
The band/singers energy?
They seemed pretty thrilled to be there. Koening kept trying to get everyone to sing along to the chorus, so he'd teach us them and have us practice before he started singing! They were jumping and running around so much, they were drenched in sweat before the third or fourth song was over.
The venue?
Festival Hall is really just a huge barn, but it sounds fine.
Would you go see said band/singer again, why? why not?
I'd go again tonight if I could. They're so enthusiastic and the music is so happy, you can't help but get swept up in it.

HSC
Uni Grad

SIMPLE PLAN

No, it was heaps better.. I bought tickets on implulse when they were release and almost talked myself out of going, but they were fucking awesome, absolutely blew me away with how well they worked as a group and their stage perfmorance/ability.

Playlist

Again, fantastic they played some of their new ones and some old ones (did play save me which they did really well) Jump was good being used at the start as everyone got involved. They also did some of some other artist's songs which was hilarious (flo rider, i kissed a girl, etc)

The crowd demeanor?

One minus that sorta was a plus, it was all ages so there was a huge line up when doors opened and we watched from the pub accross the road, free entertainment from the trampy 15 year olds and this 15-16 year old chick who was drunk at 8pm and fell over 3 times in huge heels.

The band/singers energy?

Incredible, the lead singer was running around non stop and even managed to run from the stage to the stage manager's spot (they turned the lights off for a few seconds) and he was still good after running a hundred metres with people trying to grope him. (groupies who aren't legal, talk about disappointing.)

The venue?

Horden, was great, cool area to wait in before we went in and after when waiting for cabs, good size for the crowd (still room up the back behind all the teenieboppers)
lolll

studded

HSC

It's not much of a review, but I went to see Muse in Sydney and they were simply epic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)