confused as to how to answer "Understanding nourishes belonging..." (1 Viewer)

rinc

HSC
So we have to write an essay using the 2009 HSC question "understanding nourishes belonging, a lack of it prevents it" (one prescribed text, one related)

I'm confused as to how to approach answering this...

Do I show how understanding nourishes belonging etc in both my texts and focus on that alone with techniques etc

OR

do i talk about the ideas that my texts present about belonging and some how link it to how understanding nourishes this belonging?

So confused... any help/tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated

ishita mehrotra

HSC
hi,
i did my hsc in 2009. in my essay, i discussed how "understanding nourishes belonging, a lack of it prevents it" is explored in my core text and in my related. I was able to show that belonging was nourished my an understanding in my core text and that a lack of it prevented belonging in my related. thus, i examined both parts of the question.

salt_on_chips

HSC
Help with AOS essay???

Ok so i gave an essay on belonging which was last years HSC question:
"Understanding nourishes belonging...a lack of it prevents it"
I was wondering how i should approach this question. If someone could explain it to me that would be great thanks.
BTW my texts are immigrant chronicle, The lovely bones and edward scissorhands.</SPAN>

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Re: Help with AOS essay???

I've merged your thread this one as they're talking about the same topic. Please don't create another one. Just a friendly reminder, we're here to help, not do the work for you.

mystery_meat

HSC
We have to do that question too... tomorrow, actually. So I should really be looking over my related texts. Ah well.

I've chosen related texts that can be used to back up both parts of the question (The Arrival and an article by Michael Leunig), so for example with The Arrival I'm going to focus on the extreme cultural isolation he experiences, which arises from his lack of understanding, and how it gradually lessens as he begins to understand the society and place he has moved to with the help of other refugees etc.

If you can't do that with your texts, then I'd suggest just adressing it separately (using different texts).

My problem is how I'm going to integrate E.D.s works...

Last edited:

musicxbox

HSC
Ah same question.
I gotta hand in my essay on this w/ 2 of the poems from my core text and one related txt and I'm struggling to find a related =\
any suggestions

Tensai1827

HSC
I'm doing the crucible, so I wrote about how when one party (the majority) does not acknowledge another party (say the minority), for example their way thinking, or religion, etc, the minority gets alienated. - basically i approached from the negative side.

:( I would be so screwed if I got this in the actual HSC. LOL, solz, not much of help.

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
So we have to write an essay using the 2009 HSC question "understanding nourishes belonging, a lack of it prevents it" (one prescribed text, one related)

I'm confused as to how to approach answering this...

Do I show how understanding nourishes belonging etc in both my texts and focus on that alone with techniques etc

OR

do i talk about the ideas that my texts present about belonging and some how link it to how understanding nourishes this belonging?

So confused... any help/tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated

I did this question last year and my approach was more akin to the first option. It makes for a more focused essay IMHO. Remember not to ignore the "lack of understanding" part of the question though.

My thesis was about self-understanding and being able to recognise/understand similarities and a core morality in other people. I used Prufrock as my related text ... it's a fairly easy poem to use, and it's good too :).

Hope that helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)