CONQUER YOUR HSC TRIALS-free seminars-from a 99+ student (1 Viewer)

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
Great seminar, i took a fair lot out of it and learned many things that will very likely allow me to maximize my potential throughout Belonging. Highly recommending it to any future HSC students come 2015.

iStudent

HSC
Great seminars. Learnt a lot of tricks I didn't know. Thanks a lot of doing this :D

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Feeling generous at the moment:)-So I am going to paste must know dot points for the first two HSC chemistry modules here:)

MODULE 1: PRODUCTION OF MATERIALS
•Outline the steps in the production of ethylene(HDPE/LDPE)
• Discuss cellulose’s potential as a material for replacement of
petrochemicals
• Analyse recent developments of a named biopolymer.
• Assess the potential of ethanol as an alternative fuel and discuss advantages and disadvantages of its use
• Describe the process of fermentation
• Oxidation/reduction reactions-galvanic cells
• Evaluate dry cell/lead-acid cell in comparison to one other cell in terms of chemistry, cost and practicality, impact on society and environment
• Describe the way in which an industrial and medical radioisotope are used and explain their use in terms of their chemical properties
• Describe how transuranic elements are produced
• Describe how commercial radioisotopes are produced

EXPERIMENTS:
• Alkanes/Alkenes-bromine water experiment-comparison of reactivity
• Measuring /comparison of Heat of Combustions experiment

MODULE 2:THE ACIDIC ENVIRONMENT
• Analyse the position of these non-metals in the Periodic Table and outline the relationship between position of elements in the Periodic Table and acidity/basicity of oxides
• assess the evidence which indicates increases in atmospheric concentration of oxides of sulfur and nitrogen, summarise the industrial origins of sulfur dioxides and oxides of nitrogen and evaluate reasons for concern about their release into the environment
• Explain the formation and effects of acid rain
• describe the difference between a strong and a weak acid in terms of an equilibrium
between the intact molecule and its ions
• Outline the historical development of ideas about acids including those of: Lavoisier, Davy and Arrhenius, Bronsted Lowry
• Explain the difference in melting point and boiling point caused by straight-chained alkanoic acid and straight-chained primary alkanol structures

EXPERIMENTS
• Perform a first-hand investigation and solve problems using titrations and including the preparation of standard solutions
• Perform a first-hand investigation to prepare an ester from reflux

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
CHEMISTRY TIP: Sometimes when you attempt past HSC papers, take a look at the notes from marking centre. Below is an extract from the 2009 HSC paper marking centre comments which illuminates some of the key aspects of a good chemistry student:)

In better responses, candidates:
-set out all working for numerical questions
-thought carefully about the units to be used and the quantities to be substituted into formulae
-did not repeat the question as part of the response
-looked at the structure of the whole question and noted that in some questions the parts followed on from each other, eg responses in part (a) led to the required response in part (b)
-used appropriate equipment, eg pencils and a ruler to draw graphs. (A clear plastic ruler would aid candidates to plot points that are further from the axes and rule straight lines of best fit where relevant.)
-accurately transcribed and used values from the periodic table and data sheet for calculations
-included balanced chemical equations where appropriate.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Only a few days left before I am removing my belonging seminar slides-so download them quick if you don't want to miss out:)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
English tip: Above every exam question in the HSC English paper, there is a short summary of the marking criteria/rubric-sometimes reading this before the exam can help to calm your nerves down and focus your mind on the important areas of the question. Remember, no question is designed to trick you. But be prepared for the unexpected:)

I also apologise if I haven't manage to send the seminar slides to everyone's emails, unfortunately I have lost some emails and couldn't decipher the handwriting of some individuals, so if you know someone who came to the seminar and don't have a boredofstudies account, please send them the link to my seminar slides or direct them to this thread so they can download them.

Last edited:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
hey :)
can u please pm the slides from ur presentation, thanks :)
I don't think I can attach files via the PM system, for the belonging seminar slides-if you see my original post for this seminar-so essentially the first post on the first page of this thread-there is a link to my english seminar slides which you can download:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)