Conservatoriums - GENERAL: Entry, atmosphere, auditions etc. (1 Viewer)

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
All righty peeps, whos auditioning for teh con?
which course(s)?

im going for bmus perf (Jazz) and bmus ed
also im going for bmus perf/arts at UNSW and bmusic studies/arts at USYD

all on Sax

Rach_10

HSC
does anyone know how many piano majors are accepted into the con for BMus(perf)? What about Music Studies or MusicStudies/Arts? ive heard that you can transfer after a year from these into the BMus but are many piano students able to do this? i really want to do music but dont think that im up to the standard...is Amus high enough or do you need to be higher?

sorry about all the questions guys....

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
BMus (Perf.) with a major in piano is one of the hardest to get into, purely because the standard is so high. That's why most students minor in it as part of the BMusStudies or the DipMus. Officially there is no minimum grade, but AMusA standard is probably an absolute minimum for a Piano major (Most would have the LMusA before they start the BMus) - whereas a Piano minor is a LOT more lax in terms of standard.

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
Ok, for numbers- you're talking about 2 - probably maximum of 3 (even thats rare) people a year for Bmus (perf).. Minor studies, theres heaps of pianists, and whats required to transfer is a HD (high Distinction ) in every semester for your mark in that instrument and then another audition. For Bmus Studies/ Arts you can either do it at a major or minor level. Major- seeing as they're the same audition comprises of that '2 or 3 ' - minor a lot more...

Rach_10

HSC
thanks for that. with a piano minor and music studies, what can that lead to after you finish your degree? can you basically only be a piano teacher?

robertisdabest

BeatMaker™
HSC
Usyd

Gevaudan said:
THe sydney con uses uai & audition/interview.
I spoke to them recently, and they said a UAI of around 80 should be right. Makes sense, as it's a product of supply and demand, ie out of two equally good auditions, they'll take the one who is also good at stuy, school, etc.
In cases of exceptional musical skill, i suppose the take on people with a lower (or no) uai.
They also require music theory to be at around AMEB 6th grade, or Music Course 2 standard
I was just wondering... is there any chance that a person (me) with a UAI... let say... lower than 50 or close to... be accepted in the Sydney Conservatorium? Cause looking at the reality, i don't think my UAI would be good...? I've applied for the Sydney Conservatorium, BMus Compo... hoping for the best... thanks

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
HSC
-nodnod- -nodnod- they have done so. Yesh, under 50 -cough-
umm.. Don't really stress about your UAI, work on your compositions and don't stress too much about the UAI..
thats from experience -cough- (not from comp, but performance ^.^;;; )

soulshine

HSC
mine's nov 30, and compo interview is dec 6.
haha i should start practising... now!

Rach_10

HSC
Does anyone know approximatley how long a piano major audition goes for? Do you think that we'll have to play many of the five prescribed pieces?

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
HSC
usually between 20-30 minutes, but they dont usually listen to all of tthe piece, they'll skim through them all though, theres usually a big group of people auditioning on the same day, so (a mix of different instruments) so they'll try and be as quick as possible.

robertisdabest

BeatMaker™
HSC
UAI association with entry of the Con

Bunny04 said:
-nodnod- -nodnod- they have done so. Yesh, under 50 -cough-
umm.. Don't really stress about your UAI, work on your compositions and don't stress too much about the UAI..
thats from experience -cough- (not from comp, but performance ^.^;;; )
Just wondering... i just got my UAI and it came out in the low 60s. Do i still have chances of getting in into the Con? I'm very concerned.

robert.jonathan

Bunny04 said:
Don't stress too much over it. I got much lower than a 60 so pft. I think they are more concerned about the audition and music skills test. But don't worry, I know plenty of people that have gotten in with a 60 +
thanks a lot... *figerscrossed*

robert.jonathan

Hi! the prelimenary offer came out today. A couple of my friends who applied for the con got in as Education min Perf and Performance maj. They both got over 95 UAI... I checked with tthe student admin at the con today for my results and they said i did outstanding for my composition and education interview and great for my exam. I got 61.10 for my UAI, do you think I still have chances to study at the con? If yes, what are the chances?

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Technically, a student is required to have "a" UAI. This is to indicate that yes, you've done the HSC. And that's about all. I strongly doubt UAI has any Real value in the applications process.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)