conVSUsed (1 Viewer)

imhere4themusic

flied lice
HSC
What is VSU?
Why is it bad?
Why can't they put all trades learnt in TAFE included in University systems then more people will be going into University and then it would be free like the Whitlam days?
I know I'm totally ingorant but please explain..

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
VSU is Voluntary Student Unionism. The idea that students should be able to choose whether or not they wish to belong to a student organisation.

Some believe its bad some believe it is good. See the VSU thread about this.

More people would require more government expenditure making it cost more.

santaslayer

HSC
imhere4themusic said:
What is VSU?
Why is it bad?
Why can't they put all trades learnt in TAFE included in University systems then more people will be going into University and then it would be free like the Whitlam days?
I know I'm totally ingorant but please explain..
Because TAFE is different from university. It caters for different people.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
anti-mathmite said:
VSU.. From what i can gather caters for child care and stuff like that. I don't care how good it is really, if someone doesn't want to be a part of it, you cant force them.

That doesn't mean that the government can't subsidise to make these services available still.
Ha! Do you honestly think that the Howard government is going to fund anything of any use to young people?

They're willing to ship us off for war but you ask 'em to help you study, expect a slap.

iamgir

HSC
MWUAHAHAHAHA....
Guess who?....
sorry for the thread hijacking, thought it was necessary.
Meow.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
anti-mathmite said:
VSU.. From what i can gather caters for child care and stuff like that. I don't care how good it is really, if someone doesn't want to be a part of it, you cant force them.
my union fees pay for all the venues our music gets played at so.... yeah, its a huge part of our university lives....and you may say "well thats just you"... there's quite a bunch of us at the con...

but no one cares about the con so meh

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
ur_inner_child said:
my union fees pay for all the venues our music gets played at so.... yeah, its a huge part of our university lives....and you may say "well thats just you"... there's quite a bunch of us at the con...

yeh noone cares about you and your little group of armpit hair growing witches

transcendent

HSC
N/A
I care about the con cause you're at the con. :p

I like the subsidised food, the clubs and societies, the events, the venues and the services. I've never attended a anti-VSU rally and probably never will cause I hate rallies and all those useless political/religious societies shoving papers down my throat. But I'm against VSU.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
if you want people payign fees for shit they dont use , so u can benefit. why dony you pay me money so i benefit while u get jackshit. Its the same principle

imhere4themusic

flied lice
HSC
ur_inner_child said:

I'm going to the con next year, hopefully. So are you for or against VSU?

imhere4themusic

flied lice
HSC
anti-mathmite said:
Whitlam days?!

aren't they a band

ohhhhhh 'Gough' the nation destroyer. That's what you mean by Whitlam. I hope we don't ever return to those days.

VSU is where legislation is introduced at a federal level, prohibiting universities from forcing students to be part of student unions, as some organisations do.

That doesn't mean that the government can't subsidise to make these services available still.
But didn't he make better living experiences for everyone, making people more equal. Who cares about debt with other countries.. Australia got out of it somehow. Would you sacrifice good living and low prices for being out of line with another country or the Governer General?

iamgir

HSC
I say the con.
Why?
Cos its got a great view.

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
Becasue TAFE culture and Uni culture / states of mind will not mix.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
SashatheMan said:
if you want people payign fees for shit they dont use , so u can benefit. why dony you pay me money so i benefit while u get jackshit. Its the same principle
are you talking to me?

YOUR money doesnt go to the con and that's it, if that's what you're thinking. Sydney uni is so self-absorbed with the main campus, they send Con people the same shit they send the main campus, ie the first day was 7th March, and when our exams are.

different for us, but they dont give a shit, so i doubt that if you go to the main campus and pay $590, that it goes to us and not you.

anyway, I'm a bit mixed with VSU. Venues are an issue, but $590 is a bit much.

Last edited:

walrusbear

HSC
could any pro-VSU person here please step outside of their fundamentalist belief in the superiority of user pay systems to EVERYTHING and offer a real, logical reason why VSU is a good idea?

essentially it can be seen that removing funding from university infrastructure can only be a bad thing, right. so where does the advantage in reducing the quality of national tertiary education lie?

does australia not want world class universities? would you people prefer degree factories?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Well the SRC is $65. Given the services they do provide it is probably resonable.

SU Sport is $144.

USU is $271, with a $110 first year, building fee thingy.

Questionable how they charge so much when places like ANU do fine with much less.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Asquithian said:
590 is certainly too much. Usyd union and its death has much to do with such high fees.

I dont know who handles the books over there but 590 is too much. I think its 422 or so a year at unsw.
The people who handle the books there are the same people that spent $100 000+ on protests last year.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Asquithian said:
Whats wrong with protests? Have a problem with activism?
When they're racking up fines for setting the fire alarms off in buildings so they can herd people onto the front lawns, and bribing people with free bbqs it's a rather huge problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)