Cool Things. (1 Viewer)

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
The infinite series of rational numbers which had nice patterns and converged to nice irrational numbers (which I didn't expect at all when I first encountered them)

This was it for me.

HSC
The creation and derivation of the function e^x. Saw it on MIT and it was...amazing. WOW.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Basically any infinite series converging to a decently neat closed form is really pretty to me.

HSC
Just proved via squeeze theorem!!

nerdjizzm

== people moved into the neighbourhood and are stealing my cable net so every night is a farce is 0.5kbps ==

Last edited:

largarithmic

HSC
One of my favourite things is the Euler characteristic / Euler's formula; basically for any "nice" polyhedron, if V is the number of vertices, E is the number of edges and F is the number of faces, V - E + F = 2 always. And if you change the space you're working in to something nasty and non-euclidean, the equation still 'holds' - only you change the integer on the RHS.

seanieg89

HSC
One of my favourite things is the Euler characteristic / Euler's formula; basically for any "nice" polyhedron, if V is the number of vertices, E is the number of edges and F is the number of faces, V - E + F = 2 always. And if you change the space you're working in to something nasty and non-euclidean, the equation still 'holds' - only you change the integer on the RHS.
Definitely falls into the category of cool! Especially in light of its generalisations in algebraic topology. How are you finding university larg?

largarithmic

HSC
Definitely falls into the category of cool! Especially in light of its generalisations in algebraic topology. How are you finding university larg?
Yeah it's really cool! University is going great - I've been taking 2nd/3rd year maths subjects, putting the most time into 3969 and 3966 - I was very much tempted to put down "the Lebesgue integral" as something here as 'cool', but it doesn't have the simplicity of the Euler characteristic (and fewer people wuld know it). What are you doing your PhD in?

seanieg89

HSC
Yeah it's really cool! University is going great - I've been taking 2nd/3rd year maths subjects, putting the most time into 3969 and 3966 - I was very much tempted to put down "the Lebesgue integral" as something here as 'cool', but it doesn't have the simplicity of the Euler characteristic (and fewer people wuld know it). What are you doing your PhD in?
Yep, agreed. Glad you are enjoying it! I am doing broad background work in harmonic analysis, functional analysis and PDE theory at the moment.

My proposed thesis problem involves the study of a property known as quantum ergodicity.

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
Yep, agreed. Glad you are enjoying it! I am doing broad background work in harmonic analysis, functional analysis and PDE theory at the moment.

My proposed thesis problem involves the study of a property known as quantum ergodicity.
You missed a good conference in Vienna then last month :wink:

seanieg89

HSC
You missed a good conference in Vienna then last month :wink:
Yep I know! I was still finalising my enrolment and such last month. Did you go?

Also, who was your thesis supervisor at ANU?

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
Yep I know! I was still finalising my enrolment and such last month. Did you go?

Also, who was your thesis supervisor at ANU?
Yep, it was pretty good. My supervisor was originally Andrew Hassell, but then changed to Jim Borger when I changed from a PhD to an MPhil.

seanieg89

HSC
Cool, Andrew is my supervisor at the moment. Are you his old student who is currently working with Peter Sarnak?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)