Cool Things. (1 Viewer)

HSC
I remember when we were learning calculus a couple of weeks back we were doing differentiation by first principles and then the short method came along and I was ecstatic xD

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Lol, yeah that is cool. There's two ways of actually doing that.

Method 1: Use the fact that sin z = [e^(iz)-e^(-iz)]/(2i) and solve the resultant quadratic

Method 2: Use sin(x+iy)=sinx cosh y + i cosx sinh y. But this method only works if the imaginary or real part is zero.

jet

Banned
HSC
You can extend the factorial to all complex numbers except for the non-positive integers using the gamma function

It's not too hard to prove that using integration by parts which means when is a positive integer.

Last edited:

seanieg89

HSC
You can extend the factorial to all complex numbers except for the negative integers using the gamma function

It's not too hard to prove that using integration by parts which means when is a positive integer.
*non-positive integers*

seanieg89

HSC
Is this because there is only 1 way to pick nothing? Or is there a deeper reason?
By convention the product of an empty collection of numbers is 1 and the sum of an empty collection of numbers is 0. I stress that this is just convention, it is convenient for this to be the definition.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Is this because there is only 1 way to pick nothing? Or is there a deeper reason?
Yep. The empty set could be said to have only 1 possible permutation (identity permutation).

Hence 0! = 1.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
You can extend the factorial to all complex numbers except for the non-positive integers using the gamma function

Reminds me of this nice result

JINOUGA

HSC
N/A
Not really a result, but I absolutely love The Pigeonhole Principle. So intuitive to understand yet oh so effective for many more complex problems

seanieg89

HSC
Not really a result, but I absolutely love The Pigeonhole Principle. So intuitive to understand yet oh so effective for many more complex problems
Big +1. I find things like this much more beautiful than random analysis identities...because they are ideas that are universal. Simple and elegant.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
If my sock drawer has 4 pairs of matching socks, and I pick 5 socks at random, what is the probability of me getting at least 1 matching pair?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)