Coop Scholarship (1 Viewer)

ValentinesM

HSC
hi!

i received an interview offer for actuarial studies today.
i would just like to ask about what i can do to best prepare myself for this interview and some of the things that i should know.
it is a 30min interview, so what are the things they can ask? i mean, there's a lot to be said in that period of time.
also, does anyone know approximately how many interviews are given out to actuarial studies hopefuls and about how many actually get accepted?

thanks for your help!!

keithmoon

Like a virgin.
HSC
hi!

i received an interview offer for actuarial studies today.
i would just like to ask about what i can do to best prepare myself for this interview and some of the things that i should know.
it is a 30min interview, so what are the things they can ask? i mean, there's a lot to be said in that period of time.
also, does anyone know approximately how many interviews are given out to actuarial studies hopefuls and about how many actually get accepted?

thanks for your help!!
Hi,

Congrats on getting an interview.

The most likely questions you will be asked include

Tell me about yourself?
How do you go about managing your time when you have a lot to do? (or how do you prioritise, etc) - Im not a huge fan of this question but it will most likely be asked
Why do you wish to do actuarial studies?
What industries you are interested in going into? (life, general, health, super, banking?)
What do you hope to get out of this co-op program?
What are you goals?
They will also ask you about your extracurricular activities and what roles you have been involved in them.
What your favourite subject in HSC and least favourite. Your favourite would obviously be maths...right?
What are your strengths/weaknesses?

Thirty minutes isn't actually a long time at all.

Best of luck!

ValentinesM

HSC
Thank you so much keithmoon! are you a coop scholar?
where could i find good information on actuaries working in different fields - super, life, health, banking?
another question, if you get interviewed, what are the chances of actually getting the scholarship? is it really tough? i hear the companies are cutting down on the sponsorships due to the financial downturn.

Hi,

Congrats on getting an interview.

The most likely questions you will be asked include

Tell me about yourself?
How do you go about managing your time when you have a lot to do? (or how do you prioritise, etc) - Im not a huge fan of this question but it will most likely be asked
Why do you wish to do actuarial studies?
What industries you are interested in going into? (life, general, health, super, banking?)
What do you hope to get out of this co-op program?
What are you goals?
They will also ask you about your extracurricular activities and what roles you have been involved in them.
What your favourite subject in HSC and least favourite. Your favourite would obviously be maths...right?
What are your strengths/weaknesses?

Thirty minutes isn't actually a long time at all.

Best of luck!

yeeshu

HSC
just be yourself, i tried to go in with pre-planned answers for my one and failed then i got another chance for the DB scholarship and was just myself and got it, they can tell when your trying to project a certain image...be yourself

keithmoon

Like a virgin.
HSC
Thank you so much keithmoon! are you a coop scholar?
where could i find good information on actuaries working in different fields - super, life, health, banking?
another question, if you get interviewed, what are the chances of actually getting the scholarship? is it really tough? i hear the companies are cutting down on the sponsorships due to the financial downturn.
Welcome.

No I'm not, although I was interviewed in second year for actuarial coop position because someone lost their scholarship and I recall those were the questions asked.

Not too sure of good websites although a google search may do you well. Maybe try Institute of Actuaries of Australia

Chances of getting scholarship - depends on how well you do at interview.

Companies may have cut down although they should be picking it back up again - I'm only guessing this though - in any case, Coop is good opportunity.

And yes I agree with Yeeshu.

ValentinesM

HSC
how do you 'lose' a scholarship? do you have to maintain a particular grade?

nessyismad

HSC
hey guys,

what do u reckon they will think of an interviewee who has taken a gap year? im part of the army gap year program atm.

keithmoon

Like a virgin.
HSC
hey guys,

what do u reckon they will think of an interviewee who has taken a gap year? im part of the army gap year program atm.
The army gap year is a great program that broadens your experience and it's definitely something that will be looked highly upon.

ValentinesM: Yes, you need to maintain a certain grade, I can't recall what that is, but I'd be guessing a Distinction.

Sam91

HSC
hey i was wondering if the questions asked would be similar for a co op BIT interview? i also have one coming up and have no idea how to prepare or even if I shoukd prepare. any help will be appreciated. thanks

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I am pretty sure the certain grade is the credit level.

keithmoon

Like a virgin.
HSC
I am pretty sure the certain grade is the credit level.
You may be right, distinction minimum would be for Finance co-op.

In any case, ValentinesM, being a coop, a distinction in actuarial studies would be expected of you - it's not that difficult if you're a little bit smart and if you put in the effort.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
You may be right, distinction minimum would be for Finance co-op.

In any case, ValentinesM, being a coop, a distinction in actuarial studies would be expected of you - it's not that difficult if you're a little bit smart and if you put in the effort.
hmm....isn't it much more difficult to maintain D in Actuarial Studies?

keithmoon

Like a virgin.
HSC
hmm....isn't it much more difficult to maintain D in Actuarial Studies?
Relative to Finance, I would say so. However, given the quality of the actuarial coop scholars (the ones that I know) they're usually at least a D average anyway, so yeah. But don't let that intimidate you.

whoisurdaddy

HSC
My cousin does actuarial at macquarie and she said that something like 33% of the people there got HD for 1st year.

ascentyx

HSC
My cousin does actuarial at macquarie and she said that something like 33% of the people there got HD for 1st year.
This is kind of irrelevant to the topic of unsw actuarial but i'll respond anyways :D I do actuarial at macquarie and i know that 33% of people getting HD (average i assume) is a bit of an exaggeration. There is a top class for one subject and everyone in it has a perfect gpa ( distinction or hd) except for like 1 or 2 people and this class constitutes 1/3 of the remaining year. so pretty much about a third of people who made it into the subject ( a credit in stat was required) have a distinction average or better. For hd average though i would guess about 5%.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I think the faculty will let you know when there are vacancies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)