Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Would you take a coronavirus vaccine if it was available to you, and if so which would you prefer?

• No

Votes: 18 11.8%
  • Any vaccine

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • Pfizer

Votes: 47 30.7%
  • Astra Zeneca

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Already vaccinated with AZ

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Already vaccinated with Pfizer

Votes: 60 39.2%
  • Moderna

• Sputnik

• Janssen

• Novavax

• Total voters

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Update on this with latest data and that spike was huge in the US. About to exceed 4 million confirmed cases.

I can't see how they are going to flatten that curve effectively, given that no one wants to lockdown.
View attachment 28584
Had another look at the US figures and once again they are just hopeless at flattening the curve as a nation.

1606474564840.png

Hospitalisations are at their highest ever level now. Interestingly they were at similar levels in the first and second waves. This third wave is looking like their worst one yet.

1606474527439.png

The deaths look like they're on track to reach similar peaks to the first wave. It looks like survival rates in hospitalisation have improved since the first wave. However, it remains to be seen whether this can be sustained with more stress on the hospital system.

1606474599571.png

tldr Christmas is not looking good for the US :(

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Vaccines are slowly rolling out though, so I'd imagine it's only a matter of time before they get it under control.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Vaccines are slowly rolling out though, so I'd imagine it's only a matter of time before they get it under control.
I'm gonna wait a bit before getting one just incase. Even though I'm an advocate for Science, it's not 100% perfect!

Time&moretime

HSC
Yes. However, I believe many will not due to the fear that It will cause health problems. Also, like the COVIDsafe app they created not everyone downloaded it because they thought it was a risk to their privacy. :)
Good point.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
They're all going to health care workers first. Best case scenario is general public access around March 2021. That is still 3-4 months away.

I'm gonna wait a bit before getting one just incase. Even though I'm an advocate for Science, it's not 100% perfect!
I think a lot of people have similar thoughts. The problem is that if everyone (or a significant enough portion) has the same mentality of waiting for others to go first, it's going to take forever to get to the required herd immunity levels...

blyatman

HSC
N/A
They're all going to health care workers first. Best case scenario is general public access around March 2021. That is still 3-4 months away.
Yeah that's why I said 'slowly', since it'll need time for mass manufacture as well as public trust. I had in mind about 6 months, probably more. Either way, they'll get there, they just need some time. Once Biden takes the reigns, things will also probably change.

Last edited:

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
I think a lot of people have similar thoughts. The problem is that if everyone (or a significant enough portion) has the same mentality of waiting for others to go first, it's going to take forever to get to the required herd immunity levels...
Yeah it’s unfortunate but then again considering there’s large groups of Anti-vaxxers even though there’s soo much evidence for vaccines I would say the opposite extreme probably exists as well.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Yeah it’s unfortunate but then again considering there’s large groups of Anti-vaxxers even though there’s soo much evidence for vaccines I would say the opposite extreme probably exists as well.
how many are there?

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
how many are there?
How would I know? Who knows the actual percentage.

This article seems to suggest a decent amount of people are anti-vaxxers. Obviously this isn’t conclusive so actual percentages will vary but it’s probably not gonna be negligible.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Update: The coronavirus vaccine which has been given to the public in the UK has caused unanticipated side effects such as shortness of breath to those with allergies..

They are now telling people with those allergies not to take the vaccine.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Update: The coronavirus vaccine which has been given to the public in the UK has caused unanticipated side effects such as shortness of breath to those with allergies..

They are now telling people with those allergies not to take the vaccine.
Not sure it was really unanticipated? Basically every vaccine i've ever had they always ask first if you have allergies or had adverse reactions to previous vaccines.

I heard the people affected in the UK all carried epipens, so must have had relatively serious allergies.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Looks like we’re most likely getting the Oxford vaccine at this rate. There’s only enough of the Pfizer vaccine ordered for 5 million people.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
You're claiming there's "large groups of anti-vaxxers" but don't actually know if this is true?
According to the survey I linked it’s actually a decent amount of people. Even though the percentage is not that much that’s still a lot of people especially for something that’s just a conspiracy. As for large groups I meant large only in terms of the number of people that believe in the idea of anti-vaxxers which is seen in the survey.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)