Could this be our new flag? (1 Viewer)

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
There's been a lot of talk about this flag which has been described as an "inclusive flag symbolising reconciliation".

Dr John Blaxland from Australian National University told Tom Elliott our current flag is "not a flag of inclusion, it's a flag of exclusion".

"It has come to be associated with fringe politics, with a white supremacist kind of mindset," he said.

"It has been defended by people who don't really understand Australian history very well."

LISTEN: Australian National University's Doctor John Blaxland, who designed the flag, speaks with Tom Elliott

TOM ELLIOTT'S TAKE: Frankly I think it's like a horse designed by a committee which ends up looking like a camel.

It tries to please too many different groups and ends up pleasing absolutely no one.

It's too busy.

I'm not a fan of changing our flag, but if we're going to do it we need to do something like what the Canadians did.

They found one symbol, the maple leaf, it just symbolises their country, everybody seems to like it, it's Canada.

We've got to find a similar thing for Australia.

What do you think?

http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/3aw-dri...ould-this-be-our-new-flag/20140327-35kp7.html

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
If we are making plebs knights and dames; I highly doubt we will be changing the flag any time soon... if we do, I don't want that one... looks like shit

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
looks like a fish trying to suck in water and starfish with a vacuum mouth

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad

This should be our new flag to reflect our foreign policy, culture, history and future.
Nope. Our history was terrible. The English people invaded the aboriginals and basically massacred them. I agree with the new flag being the symbol.

The aboriginals reflects what makes Australia unique!

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Nope. Our history was terrible. The English people invaded the aboriginals and basically massacred them. I agree with the new flag being the symbol.

but it is still our history and we need to acknowledge it, it also connects us with our judaeo-christian roots and values and the diggers fought under that flag in Galipoli

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
but it is still our history and we need to acknowledge it, it also connects us with our judaeo-christian roots and values and the diggers fought under that flag in Galipoli
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
^

The aboriginals were part of our culture and history.

They fought in world war 1 and 2 , except many war generals did not recognise their contributions.

Ultimately, the flag should reflect our roots.

50,000 years of aboriginal culture and history man... Much longer than the us.

The US only became part of that in the 1900s, not 20,000 years ago.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Australia was created by Europeans. The only reason why it exists as a country, and not just land on which different aboriginal tribes live, is because of the British. Australia would be virtually indistinguishable today if it had been empty when the europeans showed up.

50,000 years of throwing spears at animals

"history"

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
^

The aboriginals were part of our culture and history.

They fought in world war 1 and 2 , except many war generals did not recognise their contributions.

The US only became part of that in the 1900s, not 20,000 years ago.
i do not think you quite caught on to the point kaz1 was making lol

jdennis

HSC
Australia was created by Europeans. The only reason why it exists as a country, and not just land on which different aboriginal tribes live, is because of the British. Australia would be virtually indistinguishable today if it had been empty when the europeans showed up.

50,000 years of throwing spears at animals

"history"
Sometimes, I'm really glad when people get banned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)