Creative Responses (1 Viewer)

BlackDragon

HSC
to anyone that can give it to me, i need advice. I'm a pretty good english student but creative writing is definitely my weakness. i've got a very analytical mind. but anyway, what should i do if i want to practice creative writing these holidays? what are the keys to making good creative stories in exam situations? and how should i make sure i'll improve at writing? its more creative interesting plots that aren't stagnate or confusing? thanks. :D

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
In general, some important things you could do to develop your creative writing for Ext 1 exams:

*Do extensive reading into your chosen elective - the creative question is basically testing on whether you can apply the understanding of your elective.

*Create some characters that you would feel comfortable with in a variety of scenarios and then have a go at some creative questions.

Otherwise the advice that can be given depends on the module and elective you are doing.

Mrs.McDreamy

stalker inc. president
HSC
I'm doing postmodernism, and I'm really puzzled as to how I am supposed to write a good story. There are the stories that begin along the lines of "hi im a postmodern story, here to challenge your thinking." and then it basically continues along the lines of reciting all the postmodern techniques you have studied. Surely there is a more interesting way? Our texts in class aren't like that.

kit scara

Lyres Lair, just past the pink baloon tied to the
HSC
I'm doing Spec Fiction. Stereotypes can aid in the straight forward, okay, I know the genre has shiney weirdness, the basic things, but I think if you use them, you probably want to add a twist to them, so it's not outright pulp fiction, which would also show your smartness about subverting the genre. Probably a good idea to Establish that it is spec fic, crime, etc etc etc, and an evocative way to do this would be to describe the world you create using a lot of sense imagery, but hold back on the adjectives, go for the verbs. Also if you create your world, it means you can adapt it to the question so it doesn't read like a preprepared response.
If anyone wants imaginative writing excercises, especially to improve description or poetry, shout out.

jamesw07

HSC
I have to write the beginning of a Crime Fiction practise response for ext 1 and I have a night to do it in. It tells me that we need to have a narrative plan visible? What’s all this about including techniques as well. I understand that you need to write a story including the conventions of the genre, but is it meant to be some silly text which instead turns from a crime fiction to a humour piece due to the obvious pointing out and inclusion of unnecessary techniques?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Every piece uses techniques - whether its in how you make your characters talk, how you put the scenes together etc. its all technique. So no one is asking you to force the inclusion of techniques so much as to change it from a crime fiction, more likely it is that you demonstrate that you can use techniques that enhance your crime fic, and that you can use those techniques well.

revhead.meg

HSC
my goodness, reading bits and pieces of what you guys are all posting is making me nervous.
The analytical aspect of english im all good with but in creative writing i suck!
so in a nutshell,
any tips on how to write a good postmodern story for someone who is almost stuffed?!
thanks
=)

somewhereelse

HSC
does anyone have advice for creative writing relating to acts of reading and writing?
ive really got no idea how to go about this..

emmyg

HSC
Great advice. I'm doing Crime Fiction and I'm having a great lot of trouble with my creative writing piece so I can pre-prepare it for the exams. I seem to use the conventions, stereotypes etc but am not able to set a good plan and usually cannot think of a way to "solve" the crime. Can I leave it hanging or an assumed "solution"? Can I pick a story up halfway?

hopooki

HSC
i swear i would rather write 5 essays than one creative story...eekk

dirtyboi

HSC
kk u gaize i has n idee 4 ctv ritng. u has a gurl rite n she dusnt lyk boiz. WTF. n she findz anutha gurll hu dusnt lyk boiz. i did this 4 my test n i got gud markz but dat waz a long tim ago n im shure timez hav changeed? neway its jus n idea, take it or leev it :) :) :)

gesh17

HSC
N/A
I remember reading a sample postmodern piece a while back and I thought the ending was interesting if a little lazy. The writer had basically written a story about surreal perceptions (i.e. magically appearing chairs and pens that vanished) and then ended with something along the lines of telling the HSC marker to finish writing the story with the remaining pages of the answer booklet.

Have no idea how he/she went though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)