Creative Writing: Plagiarising (1 Viewer)

LonelyWolf

HSC
Is it possible to be caught for plagiarism if you took a short story off the internet? Even if you changed it around?

I ask this, due to my teacher explaining that markers can always tell when something is plagiarised, however they are not able to do anything about it.

thoughts?

interesting

HSC
N/A
if not, are you going to do it? wouldn't risk it though..

howver if u change it around, i don't see how the teachers would find out.. maybe your writing style suddenly changes or something

D94

HSC
N/A
My English teacher is a HSC marker and he tells us that 95% of stories are just a different version of another story, which is acceptable. We get ideas from every where and stick them together, and so it's not plagiarizing to the extent where you're copy/pasting. As long your version is well written, you can't go wrong.

themanman

HSC
N/A
off the internet?

big chance of another kid finding the exact same creative off the interweb>

yours

HSC
I can imagine if the marker thinks it's plagarised, it's a real hassle to complain and have it checked, when it's so much easier to just 'sigh', mark it and move on. Maybe they don't want to be that marker.

o_0

HSC
I can imagine if the marker thinks it's plagarised, it's a real hassle to complain and have it checked, when it's so much easier to just 'sigh', mark it and move on. Maybe they don't want to be that marker.
that's why only a surprisingly small number of people are penalised for plagiarism.. i'm guessing it would be new markers that want to leave a good impression to their supervisors or some shiz

Official

Bring it on
HSC
Is it possible to be caught for plagiarism if you took a short story off the internet? Even if you changed it around?

I ask this, due to my teacher explaining that markers can always tell when something is plagiarised, however they are not able to do anything about it.

thoughts?
Depends on how good the story is and how readily it is available

Bobbo1

HSC
I've heard they do catch our a few people each from my teacher who is a hsc market, idk about u but i wouldnt risk it

powlmao

Banned
HSC

thoughts?

Would be very stupid to risk it. I wouldn't do it.

What if others did, what if the marker has read that story?

interesting

HSC
N/A
Would be very stupid to risk it. I wouldn't do it.

What if others did, what if the marker has read that story?
this is true however, the chances of that marker getting that same story is unlikely

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Don't play the odds. Be safe. Get ideas from stories, however, copying from the internet is not acceptable, and you might get caught.

OP probably won't get caught, but, as conservative as I am, I wouldn't risk it.

Kakoose

HSC
Nowadays in universities, they have some sort of scanner which can read and detect most text and can to a point accurately spit out a % which is completely plagiarised. Maybe BOS is planning to implement this or maybe even already
using it?

HSC
My teacher told us she reported two cases of plagiarism last year:
- one where two students in a bundle had the same story
- one where a student had modified a story from a textbook and my teacher recognised it

Don't think that they don't ever report it!

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad

thoughts?
unlikely but if they recognise it they actually can go look it up -> one of my tutors (marker) said there are comps at the front and you can just google something if you're suss

she also told us of a story where in one year they had a marker who marked this story, then the next day he was going through his bundle and read the same story and he was like "wtf? did they just put the bundle in here again?". obv he realised then it was a new bundle since the other stories were different, and that somebody had used that same story.

they then notified the entire marking centre and found at least 4 other people with the same script.

zhiying

HSC
What ifffffff two people worked on a story together so they have a similar plot, but different way of writing descriptions and stuff. And they are in completely different schools?

E

Effekt

I probably wouldn't risk it as the markers mark by computer now so they could easily open google and do a quick search. Remember in English they get double marked so it might not just be one marker who reads yours.

Watch this video: http://youtu.be/WbVNaa20MUs

Old Spice Man

HSC
If you and somebody else have what is basically a identical plot structure, but the specific wording and the setting is changed around heaps between the two, does that still qualify as plaguirism (yes, i really want to just steal somebody else's idea because I lost the right hemisphere of my brain at some point)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
If you and somebody else have what is basically a identical plot structure, but the specific wording and the setting is changed around heaps between the two, does that still qualify as plaguirism (yes, i really want to just steal somebody else's idea because I lost the right hemisphere of my brain at some point)
I think you've answered your own question.

engie_benji

HSC
put it this way, i think plagiarising creative writing is more risky than an essay,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)