Crime Fic Composing (1 Viewer)

steffo

steph
HSC
i've just got no idea where to start with composing a creative piece for crime fic. i am just not a whodunnit writer. im just not. does anyone have any sites or places or ideas for finding my way through this web of poo i've caught myself in- i.e. ext 1 composing.

Logain

aka Will, Skis, Willskis
HSC
I had to write a "cozy" crime fiction piece using the characters from the board game Cluedo. I found it easier to research the conventions and build on them. My story basically wrote itself. If you're doing a general crime fiction piece, before you write it, work out:

what the crime is
the victim
the perpetrator
the sleuth
a few fake clues etc.
and a cool twist maybe

just a few thoughts. :D

HSC
I don't know the requirements for the composition, but I'd suggest a parody or satire, similar to that in The Real Inspector Hound, if you're allowed to that is

tennille

HSC
I reckon it is much easier to compose a hardboiled crime fiction story, using a female detective. That is what I used for the HSC. I also incorporated forensics as the investigation technique.

Abbeygale

HSC
Trippendicular said:
I don't know the requirements for the composition, but I'd suggest a parody or satire, similar to that in The Real Inspector Hound, if you're allowed to that is
That is allowed, but just about everybody at our school seems to be doing a parody.

steffo

steph
HSC
Abbeygale said:
That is allowed, but just about everybody at our school seems to be doing a parody.

i dont think anybody at mine is doing parody. im glad it is allowed. but i have such a small word limit. its hard to believe that ANYBODY can compose a reasonable crime fic story let alone parody in about 1000 words. i am mrs write-a-lot anyway.

steffo

steph
HSC
Logain said:
I had to write a "cozy" crime fiction piece using the characters from the board game Cluedo. I found it easier to research the conventions and build on them. My story basically wrote itself. If you're doing a general crime fiction piece, before you write it, work out:

what the crime is
the victim
the perpetrator
the sleuth
a few fake clues etc.
and a cool twist maybe

just a few thoughts. :D

thanks heaps. the cluedo thing is actually a cool idea too. i love cosy- it's so easy.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
apparently you need to put yourself into the criminal's mind.
if you were going to commit a crime, how would you do it?
and ask yourself some "what if's"

like... "what if the detective IS the murderer, so he's assigned to investigate himself?"

steffo

steph
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
apparently you need to put yourself into the criminal's mind.
if you were going to commit a crime, how would you do it?
and ask yourself some "what if's"

like... "what if the detective IS the murderer, so he's assigned to investigate himself?"

i've been told that making the detective the murderer is number one no-no.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
lol, sorry, bad example :p
you know what, don't listen to me at all. i'm planning to drop it :p

monique66

holy crap i need to compose a piece too...only mine has to challenge the boundaries of the genre...meh...i'm screwed, i have no imagination...

ishq

brown?
HSC
Everyone tries to do parody. I think, actually, its quite hard to actually be able to use humour and satire effectively unless you are really gifted. I am not.
i want to do the cosy school too! It is definately the easiest! But for me, the problem is that I cant think of a crime! All the ones I think of doing are so stereotypical!

I need a spurt of inspiration.
Soon.

desdemona

HSC
you should write within the convention that your studying its much easier. Or you can subvert the genre too to make it interesting. What about writing from the forensic's perspective instead of the detective? my teacher told us to collect clippings from the paper of crime and we could get inspiration from them when composing our own creative pieces. hey do u find that we r not really thought how to write creatively, we r taught the critical skills?

Abbeygale

HSC
steffo said:
i dont think anybody at mine is doing parody. im glad it is allowed. but i have such a small word limit. its hard to believe that ANYBODY can compose a reasonable crime fic story let alone parody in about 1000 words. i am mrs write-a-lot anyway.
Steffo, you go to the same school as me, don't you? MHS?

At least 50% of the people I've spoken to are doing or seriously considering a parody.

steffo

steph
HSC
Abbeygale said:
Steffo, you go to the same school as me, don't you? MHS?

At least 50% of the people I've spoken to are doing or seriously considering a parody.
yeh im at MHS. who's this?
that's good lots of people are doing it. i wasn't sure if we were allowed. parody will be kinda hard tho. u have to actually be funny....
what are your plans?

steffo

steph
HSC
ishq said:
Everyone tries to do parody. I think, actually, its quite hard to actually be able to use humour and satire effectively unless you are really gifted. I am not.
i want to do the cosy school too! It is definately the easiest! But for me, the problem is that I cant think of a crime! All the ones I think of doing are so stereotypical!

I need a spurt of inspiration.
Soon.
i agree with the parody being hard thing.

with the cosy school idea, it would be quite easy. i've actually started writing a hardboiled one. i'm doing it really tongue in cheek though. have you ever seen 'dead men dont wear plaid'? its a parody with steve martin. about a hardboiled detective. if u can, get it out, its funny and lame and its a good pardoy. u can fit in conventions easily with hardboiled, and take the piss out of it too.

Abbeygale

HSC
steffo said:
yeh im at MHS. who's this?
that's good lots of people are doing it. i wasn't sure if we were allowed. parody will be kinda hard tho. u have to actually be funny....
what are your plans?
Shelley (that username was already taken by someone who haunts the Extension History subforum). I'm going with your typical cosy school conventions.

steffo

steph
HSC
Abbeygale said:
Shelley (that username was already taken by someone who haunts the Extension History subforum). I'm going with your typical cosy school conventions.
hi shelley!
we are such cool internet kids.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)