Crime Fiction (1 Viewer)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
remember gosford park, fantastic movie for this unit, but overused, i used it nevertheless. it;s a cozy type, but murder mystery, with it's main focus on people and class not really the crime

Katjif

pondering dystopic life
HSC
Yup I'm doing crime this yeah autopsy..all the stuff I've posted so far is recent stuff that I've either been given, or compiled from my notes!

I'm assuming you're doing it this year..what texts are u doing?

chantelle87

get ova it

hey snot..... lets get things straight just because someone beats u everytime in ur assesments 4 eng ex doesnt make them the favourite generally it makes them smarter.... GET OVA IT

snot

yeah what eva. It probably means that they are beta at that assesment but most definately NOT smarter

Last edited:

pitted

HSC
N/A
yeah im doing crime fiction - fun stuff, i swear there is sooo much on crime fiction and i know quite a bit more than i used to, i must admit Anils Ghost is weird - great, but weird. the skull beneath the skin boring - good but boring. and may i ask if anyone has the DVD uncut version??? the one with the scene where marlowe goes to the police office (i think its that) instead of meeting whatshername (sorry cant remember - vivian?) at the bar? coz we did but it didnt work.

oh and guess what one of my additional texts is? Bone Woman its pretty much exactly like Anils Ghost except its a memoir - ties in really well, is that wrong????

also has anyone seen The Beg Lebowski??? i was going to have that for one of my additional texts but i couldnt analyse it for the life of me. :$

ciao

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
Hey everyone, I am in yr 11 but next year our Extention class will probably do crime fiction. Is it a very difficult Module, i.e. what does it involve and what should I be aiming at studying now in year 11 in order to do better in year 12? It's kind of an abstract question, but I dont feel as though I'm doing enough work or I am missing out on some major study :(

meisme

prelim study

nick1048 said:
Is it a very difficult Module, i.e. what does it involve and what should I be aiming at studying now in year 11 in order to do better in year 12? It's kind of an abstract question, but I dont feel as though I'm doing enough work or I am missing out on some major study :(

very general question!!
firsly what module are you doing now in yr 11? we did romance genre which involved a lot of focus on genre theory, so now when we're doing cf its so much easier becos we already understand the concept of genre, how and why they're used and the problems and distinctions of classifications.

so i guess how easy it will be 4 u depends on what ur doing, but it also depends on ur interests
personally, i think cf genre is fairly easygoing, mind you i have no room 4 comparison!
but if ur really dedicated/possessed/downright-fucking-crazy you can always get a headstart on your texts both prescribed & suppl because it does require an in-depth knowledge of your focal texts, also just start watching reading cf stuff, its remarkable how much you can pick up just by reading and watching, you can learn the nuances of the genre w/out really realising it

snot

ok im doing the real inspector hound and the big sleep there my two prescribed texts is just two enough and i was also for my supplementry texts weve been doin anils ghost though i enjoy agartha christie more so would it be possible for me to do her. yeah so to sum up how many prescribed and supplementry texts do we need

meisme

okly dokly, you study 3 prescribed texts im doing RIH and TBS like u and also P.D James the skull beneath the skin

U need about 3 supps i rekon, to study in detail ne way, and reference a lot of others, and when i say detail, you wanna be able to tell the examiners the middle name of Sherlocks pet canary..... but remember you only need detail in refernence to the cf genre
how did u find TRIH?, its what an absolute riot!!

lucyinthehole

I thought we needed 2 core and 2 sups? (i know we SHOULD do all of them, in case our texts don't suit the question, but i mean really, NEED only those?)

Candypants

lucyinthehole said:
I thought we needed 2 core and 2 sups? (i know we SHOULD do all of them, in case our texts don't suit the question, but i mean really, NEED only those?)
They'll probably ask you for two core, and two sup's. Learning three core's is a good idea just because it'll give you more flexibility in the creative response.
And I'd try and talk about 3 supp's if I were you.

X

xeuyrawp

Just so you know, if you wrote about three sups today, you would have technically been marked down. I know that's mean to say, but it's true- "nono, you just DONT get marked for it", yes that's true, but that means you lose time and space.

When the marker reads your shit, they read what they asked for- TWO SUP TEXTS. If you wrote about three, they IGNORED the third one and kept reading.

emma+chelsea

Hey has anyone done The Maltese Falcon for a related text? I have an assessment due on Friday and had trouble finding techniques, so if anyone can help it will be much appreciated:)

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
PwarYuex said:
Just so you know, if you wrote about three sups today, you would have technically been marked down. I know that's mean to say, but it's true- "nono, you just DONT get marked for it", yes that's true, but that means you lose time and space.

When the marker reads your shit, they read what they asked for- TWO SUP TEXTS. If you wrote about three, they IGNORED the third one and kept reading.
I read the question as saying TWO texts, and supp texts of your own choosing.

THEY WOULD NOT LIMIT YOUR SUP TEXTS, NOR WOULD THEY NOT READ THEM. As for core texts, I would agree with you, although I am not sure.

djmattyd

HSC
We've started doing Crime Fiction, and "Anil's Ghost" was the book we started with. Starting with this was probably the worst idea...I totally have no idea where the boundries for Crime Fiction end and begin. Thank God that "The Skull Beneath The Skin" is much more archetypal for the genre, for if it wasn't, I would have no idea what the archetypal "crime fiction" text is. We're also doing "The Real Inspector Hound".

I was wondering, does anyone think "The Silence of the Lambs" is a relevant text for this field, either the book by Thomas Harris, or the movie? For me, it seems a good choice, but I guess it does break the archetype almost as much as "Anil's Ghost" does.

Is anyone else reading or have read "Anil's Ghost" and thought "what if we didn't choose this text?!". The book was so good, but totally threw me in relation to the Crime Fiction genre. I've seen "The Big Sleep" before, so I know it is also fairly archetypal of the Crime Fiction genre...

As you can see, Michael Ondaatje has really thrown me a curve ball with "Anil's Ghost".

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
ive read anil's ghost and i hated every word in it.. apparently the show silent witness is good for anil's ghost, thats what our teacher told us.. but we havent started studying it fully yet..

tennille

HSC
_muse_ said:
ive read anil's ghost and i hated every word in it.. apparently the show silent witness is good for anil's ghost, thats what our teacher told us.. but we havent started studying it fully yet..
We read/watched all 4 texts last year and this year. We were going to do Anil's Ghost but my teacher hated it and I could barely see any connection between that and crime fiction. We did The Real Inspector Hound instead- that was pretty good.

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
Tennille said:
We read/watched all 4 texts last year and this year. We were going to do Anil's Ghost but my teacher hated it and I could barely see any connection between that and crime fiction. We did The Real Inspector Hound instead- that was pretty good.

we're doing the real inspector hound as well.. apparently there is some link between anil's ghost and crime fiction but i dont see it.. maybe its the whole autopsy side in more detail but i really have no idea.. i hate it with a passion

tennille

HSC
Yeah...it sucked heaps. The Real Inspector Hound is pretty good because the conventions are so obvious. I used that for my HSC this year, and it wasn't that difficult to explain. I liked The Big Sleep as well.

Pointy Ears

HSC
In Desperate Need Of Help

HI.
I have an assessment due this friday and i absolutley have no concpt of how i should structure it, or wat it is that i have to write about.

The question is

'You have studied some texts. What makes these texts crime fiction texts?'

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I know that i have to compare each of my texts in relation to the convention and how the context and values of that text shape the convetion.

The problem is.......HOW DO YOU DO THAT?!?!?!?!?

Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)