Crime Fiction (1 Viewer)

>::DeuZ::<

HSC
well i have to find 5 texts 4 skool as part of assesment for crime fiction and i have 3 already i have a fair idea of thses but i need two more text in the areas

a novel from the golden age and some hard bioled type of media(Tv, film, stuff other then novels or short stories0

my other texts r a csi epsode a book fomr john Grisham and a book form edgar alan poe....i havent finalised what the books from those authors r

fright

HSC
N/A
Can some very kind person give me the names of books and/or movies which incorporate serial crime? Thanks

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
fright said:
Can some very kind person give me the names of books and/or movies which incorporate serial crime? Thanks
The Bone Collector, Se7en and Beneath the Skin by Nicci French all involve serial murders, and I strongly reccommend Beneath the Skin as it provides a psychological look at the victim, criminal and to a lesser extent the detective.

crazycuri0scool

HSC
hi

for an assessment i've got to consider the following statement: "the conventions of the classical crime fiction genre has been re-evaluated, expanded, adapted or transformed in response to changing contexts" in the light of 3 texts.

in choosing the texts i was thinking of doing maybe one of poe's works, something from the 1940s and a contemporary. would this be the right way of going about it? and if so, could anyone recommend texts that i could use?

thanks in advance :)

nwatts

HSC
fright said:
I think texts which take the genre and do something really special/interesting with it are the best to use - they give a broader scope to your essay, letting the marker know that you aren't sticking to conventional texts. In your case I think Christopher Nolan's film Memento would be excellent, as it is in no way a conventional crime piece, nor is it a conventional film in its own right. You could easily and effectively incorporate an excellent discussion on technique with this text, as the way it is filmed/edited/structured has far more bearing on the film than the narrative.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
gelina said:
Anyone wanna approve 'Insomnia' as a related text for me?
I would, it has validity as a crime text with the added bonus of being fairly unconventional. Make sure that you analyse it specifically as a crime text though and not in general terms otherwise you might have problems.

Dragie

HSC
Hmm...What are the most important things I have to learn (and remember) for 'The Big Sleep'? I'm having some trouble with it and would like to understand what are some of the most important things that needed to be remembered about TBS. Thank you so much in advance :)

gelo

HSC
My half-yearlies are coming up in 2 weeks.

My teach told me that exam for Ext 1 will have the following:

1. Creative Question (crime fiction genre)

2. Text question
-Big Sleep
-PD James The Skull Beneath the Skin
-Own sources

Now.. i was planning to do for study several creative tasks in which i write a short text or something that reflects the crime genre.. so ill study conventions and stuff to help out too.

then i planned to study the big sleep, and TSBTS, and my own sources... but the thing is.. i dont know exactly WHAT about these texts i need to know. is there anything in the sylabus that says what?

anyone have any suggestions as to what else i need to do to prepare for the exam?

thanks.

Apeydapey

HSC
McLake said:
Hi, I am one of this Forums moderators, and I did "Genre: Crime Fiction" in 2002. If you have any questions about any of the prescribed texts, or any additional texts, please post them here and I will try to answer them for you.
Hi my name iS April and I am studying Crime Fiction this year 2006. I was wondering if you had any notes on Skull Beneath the Skin, Snow Falling on cedars(book) and the Big Sleep. Struggling to get all my notes together any assistance would be greatly appreciated
peaceout April

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Woah, haven't been in this thread in ages, well here goes:

Dragie said:
What are the most important things I have to learn (and remember) for 'The Big Sleep'?
You need to think of how The Big Sleep defies and re-affirms harboiled conventions [think misogynistic traits, misery of the mean streets, the detective standing alone against corruption and also how the hardboiled conventions are subverted/denied with the romantic ending], also think about genre hybridity in regards to this text, values ie depression and prohibition, and film noir conventions also. Most of this can be inferred by analysing Marlowe and how he interacts with the other characters.

gelo said:
then i planned to study the big sleep, and TSBTS, and my own sources... but the thing is.. i dont know exactly WHAT about these texts i need to know. is there anything in the sylabus that says what?
This is a bit late, but it applies to all EE1 essays...An important thing to remember is that this course is not like Advanced, you can't specify things to put in your essays only major foci since the question could be on pretty much anything genre related. Having said this, the bulk of the module relates to conventions, context and values so if you can come to terms with these concepts and see how they impact on each other then you are well on your way. Its also worth noting that this isn't an essay about your texts, its more an essay about crime fiction using your texts as evidence and examples.
fatalapathy said:
Hi... I'm wondering if I could have any help with the sub-plots of 'Anil's Ghost'. I just need any notes on it... cos I can't find mine.
Hi, there should be some notes in the resources section otherwise if you have any specific questions I'd be happy to answer them.
Apeydapey said:
Hi my name iS April and I am studying Crime Fiction this year 2006. I was wondering if you had any notes on Skull Beneath the Skin, Snow Falling on cedars(book) and the Big Sleep. Struggling to get all my notes together any assistance would be greatly appreciated
Hi April, its to my regret that I must tell you McLake doesn't mod this forum anymore and he hasn't been on in a while so I can't say when he'll be back. In the mean time though there should be some notes in the resources section otherwise if you have any specific questions I'd be happy to answer them.

xlr8-crillz

HSC
1 question can someone plz answer this asap.

Is crime fiction jst about like someoen killing another person, a detective getting invovled and getting clues and solving hte mystrey.

OR can it also be like someone doing somethign wrong like stealing or something which doenst involve murder or any serious detective, jst someone getting a few clues and figuring out who's done the wrong thing or even better, letting the reader figure it.

plz if u dont mind can u answe that question asap or can u tell me the elements of crime fiction story writing if possible. thanx for all the help.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
xlr8-crillz said:
1 question can someone plz answer this asap.

Is crime fiction jst about like someoen killing another person, a detective getting invovled and getting clues and solving hte mystrey.

OR can it also be like someone doing somethign wrong like stealing or something which doenst involve murder or any serious detective, jst someone getting a few clues and figuring out who's done the wrong thing or even better, letting the reader figure it.

plz if u dont mind can u answe that question asap or can u tell me the elements of crime fiction story writing if possible. thanx for all the help.
This is one of the key questions of the module as we attempt to decipher the limits of genre and see that nothing is isolated in just one genre or sub-genre. Something doesn't need to be a 'traditional' crime fiction (if there is such a thing) to be analysed as a crime fiction as you would be looking at the crime fiction aspects of the text.

So you can look at a text with other crimes such as rape, arson, theft etc. that involves characters coping with crimes with some form of detective which can range from scientist to cop to P.I to hitman or even the victim themselves in some cases.

Sometimes the crime is not definitively resolved either - it can be that the protagonist fails in solving the crime, or solves the crime but the criminal cannot be properly brought to justice.

Trillium

HSC
Hiya.
Im having a minor battle with Values, at present. And i was wondering if someone could help.
Basically, the majority of my related texts are modern crime fiction examples that include elements of either mythology, religion, sci-fi or the 'superhero' idea. I've chosen these because i figured that i could say the inclusion of these elements is an example of the subversion of the genre as different conventions are included due to the modern context or whatever, but i'm finding it difficult to then show the values this represents.
For example, The Righteous Men by Sam Bourne has a lot of religious and moral connotations to it- so i thought a value could be the idea of not judging people by what they appear to be, or the idea of finding goodness in what appears to be a typically 'bad' action. Would this be a value or not?
Also, in Batman Begins (yes. i know. But i can not stand crime fiction. really. i can't) i think you can link a lot to the "noir" aspect but i thought that perhaps the superhero character could refelct a value as well- societies desire for more action, more escape, more lycra etc. but I'm told that's not a value- a value is something represented in a text not something the audience relates to? Is this correct?
*sighs*
I basically have no idea what the values of CF are at all. I just wanted to do 4unit. Please someone tell me some values.
eep.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Values is generally what is 'valued' in a specific context, eg. Agatha Christie displays fairly conservative values in her novels and plays as a result of the context - a society desiring 'moral reassurance' after the World War.

Batman would represent inexorable justice I would think, he'd also represent the wild violence of the mean streets turning in against itself (Batman's parents were mugged when he was a child I believe)...so one value would sort of be 'an eye for an eye' I guess. You also have the spy-esque tactics Batman uses which could be both a reflection of the WW2 caused paranoia when the Batman comics started and in Batman Begins this paranoia is starting to return to an extent because of the terrorist mania going on.

^Thats a bit of a convoluted explanation so I hope I haven't thrown you off too much, but thats all I can think of when it comes to Batman.

stevie-kirkland

HSC
hi thankyou so much for this!
im currently doing an assignment that i am having a lot of trouble with.
i have to create a mindmap and speech that explores the relationship between:
*the genre convetions of the classical detective story based on caweltis formula and own research
* the real inspector hound
* two related texts, i think i will do ten little niggers and the adventure of the speckled band - conan doyle.
i really dont understand it at all
help please!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)