Crime Fiction (2 Viewers)

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
i usually come onto the post-mortem forums saying how shit I went and that I'll be lucky to string 20% together, so I feel almost ashamed to say I was confident coming out of the exam hall...

quietly confident though...

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
Hmm...I kind of quoted different parts of the provided text and said how they linked to the thematic areas I'd concentrated on. For example, the line 'Nobody can stop me, not even you' is a direct challenge to both the reader and the detective, and it describes the symbolic conflict between good and evil that is most apparent in Golden Age cosy stories.

Shar

sarw
HSC
Bizarre is the word for it

Yep that exam was so bizarre! I ended up disagreeing with the 'quote' or whatever that was in all my texts (Cornwell, Holmes, Big Sleep and Hound) because in all of them you need a detective! There is no such thing as 'a perfect crime'... that's what detectives are meant to prove!

And the creative... what the? Do you reckon a letter is 'imaginative'? woops I think it was meant to be like a story.

senzazn

asian mo-fo
HSC
N/A
hey wat would happen if you didnt specify the focus area u were doing in your imaginative response?

jessi_tosa

HSC
gaaaaaaaaar I found it so weeird!

I'd extract line bits from the imagined character's dialogue thingy and related it to each of my text's as I opened para after para.

I'm relying on scaling tooo... garr

gemblack88

HSC
senzazn said:
hey wat would happen if you didnt specify the focus area u were doing in your imaginative response?
crap, come to think of it, i don't think i specified either... Hopefully they'll figure it out? maybe they'll be nice enough to find out what essay question we did and... yeh. damn, now im worried. thanks alot senzazn!! :p

HSC
gemblack88 said:
crap, come to think of it, i don't think i specified either... Hopefully they'll figure it out? maybe they'll be nice enough to find out what essay question we did and... yeh. damn, now im worried. thanks alot senzazn!! :p
yeah i didnt do it either and now i read that, i feeeeel so much better
ah well, i think they will consider we were unders stress, for maths they search for questions in diff books. lol, we shall be okkkkay :)

woodsier

bleh
HSC
N/A
I only said a few points about the included text:

1. It outlines the fundamental conventions of Crime Fiction.
2. It challenges the responder ("not even you")
3. It is inherently contradictory. By telling us, the person HAS created motive. There is no such thing as a "perfect crime".

Stefcia87

HSC
i didn't really like the exam but i made the best of the stuff i had learnt. the crime fiction essay confused me cos it was difficult relating it back to the stimulus provided. the imaginative piece was ok but the picture was so random.

TimmyDD

HSC
Schroedinger said:
What, you mean setting an exam that tests your abilities rather than how to regurgitate a pre-learned essay?

That's what they're SUPPOSED TO DO.

I'm so glad they did it. I hope everyone with a pre-learned essay failed because of this.
i agree with you about the pre learned essay part.
Suggesting everyone should fail???
I think i'll say what everyone here is thinking.
You're a wanker.

x_meow_x

HSC
if all you people seem so hostile towards people with pre-prepared answers, it kind of looks like you're thereatened by that and are trying to make yourself feel better by saying they will fail. i didn't prepare anything, but who cares if other people did? generally pre-prepared responses are generic, and adapted to suit the question.

we're all in the same boat here, we're all trying to ge through these exams. so do it your own way...

when people say things like "i hope you fail" it comes across like they arent confident in themselves and want to believe everyone else failed miserably to feel better

TimmyDD

HSC
Schroedinger said:
Hey, you've obviously failed the English course because you've not heard of HYPERBOLE you decrepit fuck.

May you come to some form of gross misfortune.
There's no need to get all emotional about everything. Maybe something happened to you as a child. Maybe you just finally realised that no-one cares what you have to say. Maybe attacking people on internet forums is your escape from life...Maybe you get off on it...Do u schroedinger??? Do you find some kind of sadistic pleasure in seeing yourself swear on a school forum?
Tell you what...When i'm 40, i'll come back here and check to make sure you're not still attacking the little kiddies ok?
Little dinger...no-one cares.

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
bridgy said:
Hmmm, I did not have a preprepared anything. Creative or essay. I used related material that I have NEVER read (Hound of the Baskervilles) and used about mmm 2 quotes in that fucked up essay. Oh and some critical commentary where I made up the critic and their quote. So just at a guess I'm going high band 6..... Yeh that would be pretty accurate. Actually come to think of it I didn't read any of my texts for advanced either. Woops. Hope that doesn't affect my marks. Oh and my 4 unit major work I finished the night it was due and handed it in to my teacher at 9pm because as long as you finish before midnight you're right. I mean sure I couldn't proof read it or anything but that doesn't really matter...does it? And I mean I couldn't really reflect on it in the Reflection Statement because I wasn't quite sure what it was about.But that's ok..right? All in all I would say that that is one dedicated approach to English. :)
OMG OMG OMG OMG x 1000000....you are a carbon copy of me...except i used more quotes for the hound of baskerville...but yeah

I never read any of my texts for advanced and I had an internal mark of 98 which came down to 91 after the trials...But i still came first in advanced.

I never read shit for English Ext 1...ever...except for those books with essays and shit and plot summaries...and i came first in english ext 1

I got no freckin idea what my Ext 2 english work is about...i just copied and pasted shit from books that have not been published in australia (its a critical essay)...i bought em from amazon.com and i came first in eng ext 2 with a mark of 49/50.

HAHAHAHAhahahah....anyone else on the same boat?

Pumpkin Eater

HSC
I thought both questions were fairly straightforward. The creative writing was similar to last year's (I was terrified it'd be another crazy one like 'write an interview with a character from one of your set texts' or something), and the essay really let you come to your own conclusions. I used the "perfect crime" thing, and the connotation that the criminal wanted a battle of wits, to get into stuff like morality and intellect.

Like, for example in Golden Age, you've always got the detective who's more intelligent than the criminal, because that kind of rationalist world view sees crime as a deviation from what's good for humanity, and therefore reckons criminals are stupid and can't possibly beat rational thinkers like Sherlock or Hercule.
Translate that over to The Skull Beneath The Skin, and while Ambrose is clever, the reason he gets away is that Cordelia is flawed, human and "imperfect", and that society's morals are based in materialism, so a rich dude is untouchable. It's not "the perfect crime" per se, but more so the imperfect system.

Might I add, Se7en was the perfect related material. Hehehe. :cool:

loz28597

grrrrrrrrrr

that essay question was not fair!!
I didn't think it gave enough room for us to demonstrate what WE have learnt when we studied crime fiction. My focus was not on the crime, my focus was how the composers reflected society through using crime as a vehicle on the surface. It just wasn't a good question. The Catholic trial paper was fantastic ... 'What do responders value' was the guts of the question.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

oh my related texts were a Patricia Cornwell novel for Cosy (used with P.D. James) and the first Sin City book by Frank Miller 'The Hard Goodbye', used with The Big Sleep

TimmyDD

HSC
i used The Da Vinci Code, The Bone Collector and Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead for my related texts.

Limited Silence

HSC
Ah yes well unfortunately I went in to *STORYPANICMODEAAAAAAH*
Saw the picture, crapped myself, and decided to take a nice satiric first person narrative. Downside? FORGOT to incorporate the picture. Completely screwed.
Essay question WAS rather random, but I thought it was alright. I kinda used a few quotes from the provided text as the basis for my argument and just crapped on about the conventions of crime fiction and what not. Hopefully it was upper-class crap.
One thing I'm proud of though... in the writing booklets, on every page in the upper left hand corner is the Board Of Studies symbol... I wrote SMELLS next to it... just to be rebellious...
My own texts were 'Inspector Rex' - a german crime fiction television show. Absolute rubbish.
And also 'Love and Grudges' - a postmodern short story by Garry Disher.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)