Critical Responders for the 2005 HSC (1 Viewer)

nobbles

El Nombre
HSC
I thought that I'd get the ball rolling for all the Critical Responders of 4u English as nobody has started a thread for us yet. So here it is. Put your hand up if you are choosing this avenue for your major work.

*Puts hand up*

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
Hey, nobbles. Unless I totally miss my guess, I know a friend of yours - Alexandra Bruderlin, otherwise known as Lexie. Hopefully she hasn't mentioned me.

*puts hand up*

...but that's no fun. How about a quick description of what you're doing from everyone? Starting with me. Okay.

Well, I'm studying how specific [and yet to be decided] online communities affect the english language. In particular, I'm examining whether said changes constitute an evolution of the language or not. Currently terrifyingly broad, and I'm planning on using the school holidays to narrow my focus, possibly while curled up into a foetal ball in anticipation of the stress... or something like that.

Next person! Don't leave me lonely!

flamearrows

Last edited:

Lozzyl

Sensational Member
HSC
I'm another crazy one looking forward to the completion of my major work next year

*puts her hand up*

I'm doing a critical response about why teen magazines (girlfriend, dolly, cleo, cosmo) are so successful and are they successful for the right reasons?

Should be fun, I get to read lots of magazines.
And get in contact with the editors
and all that sort of thing

Am excited,

but my proposal is due on friday and am sorta not exactly sure what to write for it

tanjap

HSC
hey guys
i originally began my idea with a short story....my proposal is in like 5 days and i wana change it...now i want to write a critical piece on the masons...which would have been a hell lot of fun...and reading..but as it was pointed out to me...not much is concrete stuff...and it would be really hard to find somthing to go by.
so atm i think im going to stik to my short story idea for the proposal...which is all about a boy with a tough life that has psychological problems and change it on the holidays.
im kinda worried i wont have time for all this...the topic change and the whole chaning to a critical response thing...but i hope i pull it off ! :(
anyone else having doubts/??
cheers

nobbles

El Nombre
HSC
flamearrows said:
Hey, nobbles. Unless I totally miss my guess, I know a friend of yours - Alexandra Bruderlin, otherwise known as Lexie. Hopefully she hasn't mentioned me.
I certaintly do know Lexie, and, luckily for you, I don't know you. Lexie is in my software class as well (im sure you've heard lots about us... I'm the nice one of the bunch).

For my response, I'm using psychoanalytical theory to look at the individual in society and whether they are valued, there's a bit more to that, but it's kinda hard to get down in words.

Last edited:

littlewing

la belle etoile
HSC
hello!!
i'm one of your fellow critical responders for 2005..
i'm doing an investigation into the illusion of female power in modern texts and the way that patriarchal power structures force women to work against themselves in our society... through buffy and the stepford wives, so far.
my proposal is due second week back at the start of feb and i'm currently just doing heaps of research, watching lots of buffy and trying to get myself as angry and motivated as possible to write some kick-ass persuasion for my essay. anyone have any good sources for the essay medium???

good luck to all, hope the holidays are fruitful for us :D

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
i did buffy

don't do female power, so overdone. do something original.

not adolescent sexuality. that's my area of expertise :cool:

my other bit of advice is you really don't have time to talk about two separate texts. pick buf OR stepford wives, you can't do much on both in 4500 words

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Ohhh im joining the critical essay world, my teachers have convinced me. I'm not sure EXACTLY what i am doing since i was doing to do a play dealing with the idea of status anxiety in modern society incorporating the works of Niccolo Machiavelli, Karl Marx, Vaber and also using MacBeth and some other texts to broaden my play, obviously i cant use all these ideas for my criitcal essay but i think thats basically the direction im heading in, im going to TRy and think of something slightly original.

Oh yeh and that one in the 2003 showcase 'from feminists to fools: the myth of girl power' or something, she went to my school!! feels there is hope for me as well.

Lhyviathan

2/cos C
HSC
I'm planning to portray anime as an intellectually viable medium in my critical response...

I'm still fishing around for a specific area to look at. Since I have to link it to another area of English, Postmodernism is probably the best bet...

Any ideas??

Limited Silence

HSC
*puts hand up*
Critical response, here I come.
But I have to say, I'm feeling rather like I'm in over my head.
Originally I was going to focus on Indigenous Australians and their journey as is portrayed through literature. Although, I've sat down with my now mentor, and she's helped me a lot in narrowing down my ideas. I think now, I'm going to focus on the portrayal of Aboriginals in literature and how that affects the average teenager's perception of them.
OR, how literature has REFLECTED and changed with the Indigenous journey. Isn't that what I said up there but in different words? Meh.
Hmm... I like the idea anyway.
What got me into was, that whenever the word 'Aboriginal' is mentioned at my school, everyone cringes with bad memories from year nine and ten history. I really want to change that.

djmattyd

HSC
I'm doing Extension 2 in 2005.

I already wrote what I'm doing in the other thread, a critical response on the works of Quentin Tarantino...I'm so afraid that the topic is overdone judging by the amount of people who have said they're doing or thinking about doing it. But I guess I can't let that discourage me. I asked a group of markers if it was overdone, and they said "Nothing is overdone if it is done well", so I guess I can have a shot and see how I go.

I'm guessing this is going to be the one unit that doesnt count towards my UAI but I don't care, the course is worth it.

nobbles

El Nombre
HSC
Well, I'm doing it for the experience... and to see if I can get my Extension subjects to count as my two units of English for my UAI! In all seriousness, 4u Eng (in my opinion) has the ability to help the student find themselves.

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
glycerine said:
i did buffy

don't do female power, so overdone. do something original.

not adolescent sexuality. that's my area of expertise :cool:

my other bit of advice is you really don't have time to talk about two separate texts. pick buf OR stepford wives, you can't do much on both in 4500 words
female power is SO overdone!

Especially since there was one on the "illusions of post-feminism" in the 2003 Showcase!

Feminism in general is pretty overdone unless you have some sort of unique spin on it!

Lhyviathan

2/cos C
HSC
I had an idea of examining anime in relation to various religions...

Spirited Away -> Shintoist perspective
Haibane Renmei -> Christian perspective...

If do I go ahead with this, is there any way I can link it to Postmodernism??? (Seeing as how 2U English is pretty useless to link to...)

Last edited:

Mr. Osama

I will be exploring the so called "second wave femism"- Looking at the whole objectification and steriotypes through the exploration of the Orignal charles Angels Series to the more modern ones. the 70's is an extremely significant era as both "Feminism" and "Objectificaton of women", were at thier individual peaks. Charles Angles seems to be the only tv show at the time reflecting these social attitudes...etc..etc.

Well its just an idea what do you guys think?

sK...

HSC
N/A
i'm doing a study into dehumanization and it's contextual representations, using full metal jacket and american history X as primary texts.

veridis

droog
HSC
dehumanisation in films without clockwork orange? cmon you cant leave it CO
with FMJ the first half would be great but the 2nd half is more just about the realisty of war. sure it dehumanises the enemy and the dead but it kinda celebrates the human qualities of the soldiers themselves.
also i'd reccomend requiem for a dream if you need another related text

sK...

HSC
N/A
Yeah, referrring to Clockwork Orange as a secondary text.

I think the second half of FMJ is still appropriate as it shows how, if at all effective the process of dehumanisation is. It shows how they react to different situations.
I think Joker and Rafterman possibly undergo the process even more while on tour than they did in training.............

hmm, might have to check out requiem.
cheers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)