Cssa biology (1 Viewer)

OH1995

HSC
It can't have been dominant because two parents without the trait had a child with the trait, and it can't have been co dominant because we were only looking at one trait, and also because we know it was recessive due to the reason above
Exactly. Why would you need to guess? It was one of the simplest pedigree diagrams. In HSC Biology there are only 2 certainties you need to be aware of in pedigrees.
1) If 2 parents WITHOUT the condition have a child with the condition the trait is RECESSIVE.
2) If 2 parents BOTH HAVE the condition and they have a child WITHOUT the condition then the trait is DOMINANT.
Just remember those 2 things whenever looking at a pedigree.

lightingbolt

HSC
N/A
Exactly. Why would you need to guess? It was one of the simplest pedigree diagrams. In HSC Biology there are only 2 certainties you need to be aware of in pedigrees.
1) If 2 parents WITHOUT the condition have a child with the condition the trait is RECESSIVE.
2) If 2 parents BOTH HAVE the condition and they have a child WITHOUT the condition then the trait is DOMINANT.
Just remember those 2 things whenever looking at a pedigree.
so, your saying if both parents don't have the disease, but their child have the disease, that means, the child must my carrying a recessive gene.

If both parents has the disease, bt their child don't have the disease, then it is dominant, since both parents would be have the disease.

What would be co-dominance, I understand it now, thank god I got that MC right, tough?

Plus, What was the answer to the question, Explain the relation between DNA, polypeptide and protein synthesis. ( 3 marks)

I did not study that dotpoint, I went blank as soon as I saw the question, what did you had to say to that question.

Last edited:

OH1995

HSC
What would be co-dominance, I understand it now, thank god I got that MC right, tough?

Plus, What was the answer to the question, Explain the relation between DNA, polypeptide and protein synthesis. ( 3 marks)

I did not study that dotpoint, I went blank as soon as I saw the question, what did you had to say to that question.
1. I don't think you'd ever get a pedigree that exhibits co-dominance, it would look a little weird.

2. The DNA, polypeptide and protein synthesis question. I can't remember exactly what I wrote but just generally.
- The base pairs of DNA affect the type of polypeptides that are produced during protein synthesis.
- Gave a brief description of transcription and translation in protein synthesis and thus showed the creation of polypeptides from varying combinations of codons.
- The talked about the effect of polypeptides in the creation of proteins, which are enzymes that affect the functioning/phenotype of the cell.
- The linked it back to how then DNA therefore influences cell expression through the creation of polypeptides.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
What was the hardest question and/or most random part of the syllabus regarding a question in the core topics?

OH1995

HSC
Like... EVERYTHING.

The multiple choice answers were also quite BS. So our teachers think that they may need to change a few answers.
What multiple choice questions were contentious? Most of them seemed pretty straightforward, bar destructive/non-destructive and maybe the advantages of group work one...

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
What multiple choice questions were contentious? Most of them seemed pretty straightforward, bar destructive/non-destructive and maybe the advantages of group work one...
One about skinning trees and so.
And I think er, the one about biochemistry and comparison.

OH1995

HSC
One about skinning trees and so.
And I think er, the one about biochemistry and comparison.
For the skinning trees one I think I put something about reducing competition for nutrients.
And the biochemistry I put the one about gaps in the fossil record.

Candidate

HSC
Just got my marks back.
It was harsh.
Don't worry, they were VERY harsh at my school too. I came first in the cohort and maintained my first place ranking, but ironically received my lowest mark all year. I made too many basic errors and reckon I could lift my marks up substantially for the HSC. I think everyone needs to really start studying the skills section of the syllabus.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
For the skinning trees one I think I put something about reducing competition for nutrients.
And the biochemistry I put the one about gaps in the fossil record.
Yeah, apparently both those answers were wrong according to the CSSA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)