• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

CSSA MX2 Trial (2 Viewers)

math man

HSC
N/A
Saw the questions for the MX2 CSSA.

The last question was pretty nice, except not quite happy about the fact that to complete one of the questions, you have to swap an integral and a summation sign under the assumption that it's allowed.

At least say something like "You may freely interchange a summation and the integral, without proof".

But overall this is something I would expect to be HSC difficulty, maybe a wee bit more difficult for the last question.
i agree with the assumed uniform convergence thing, today when i went through the cssa trial in my class i had
to tell my students to just swap the integral and sum notation and that you cant justify it, you just have to do it...

HSC
I've got everything except the last 2 marks. Any ideas?

HSC
AH! Thankyou.

Why is it always pi^2/6...HSC/CCSA papers lol

Also carrot what is that typeset from? (program?)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
BTW a small typo: The bottom limit for 'O' should be 0, not 1.

AH! Thankyou.

Why is it always pi^2/6...HSC/CCSA papers lol

Also carrot what is that typeset from? (program?)
Math Type + Microsoft Word. Couldn't be bothered TeXing.

And it's asked often because it's the first converging p-series (assumed integer exponent).

HSC
Yes I realised it should be 0, to get the '1' at the front.

Thankyou!

seanieg89

HSC
On the issue of rigour, it should be noted that the manipulation in the last question is only valid because the series in question is absolutely convergent.

jezzamon

HSC
i agree with the assumed uniform convergence thing, today when i went through the cssa trial in my class i had
to tell my students to just swap the integral and sum notation and that you cant justify it, you just have to do it...
I just did the question now (not in the test, unfortunately)

Well, you can swap the sum and integral because you can split integrals if the things inside are just added, like we do in partial fractions and everything. Then you take the constant out of the integral, because it's a constant

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Well, you can swap the sum and integral because you can split integrals if the things inside are just added, like we do in partial fractions and everything. You can then take the constant out of the integral... not too difficult
That is true for a FINITE number of terms in the sum, but not necessarily for an INFINITE number of terms.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
The pi^2/6 result can also be proved using Complex Analysis. Quite neat I think.

deswa1

HSC
Just finished it. All up I thought it was good, a bit harder than our school's paper and the MC was challenging I thought. I liked the last question- I love it when you do all this random integration etc. and then end up with neat results that have almost nothing to do with what you started with. Do you guys know the answers to:

13 d ii) The one about find the coordinates of C if ABCD is a square
16 a ii) Find the values of k and c-> the one where f(x) has line symmetry around x=c

I'm not that confident with my answers on these two

billym

HSC
Just finished it. All up I thought it was good, a bit harder than our school's paper and the MC was challenging I thought. I liked the last question- I love it when you do all this random integration etc. and then end up with neat results that have almost nothing to do with what you started with. Do you guys know the answers to:

16 a ii) Find the values of k and c-> the one where f(x) has line symmetry around x=c

13 d ii)

x - value of C = (1+2^(1/2))^(1/2)

16 a ii)

k = (AB)^(1/2)

c = (1/2)ln(B/A)

Pardon the horrible typesetting, not very good with LaTex

deswa1

HSC
13 d ii)

x - value of C = (1+2^(1/2))^(1/2)

16 a ii)

k = (AB)^(1/2)

c = (1/2)ln(B/A)

Pardon the horrible typesetting, not very good with LaTex
Yay got 13 right but my answer for 16 was wrong- it was semi close though- I'll redo it.

Thanks bro :)

jenslekman

HSC

is that what you do in class?

kayven

HSC
Could I get a copy of the CSSA 2012 trial paper or no?

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
I had a go at it on the weekend. I skipped the ABCD square question because I had no idea how to do it. Got everything else though, just silly errors here and there. Full marks on the last question, which I was very happy about (although I did have to think for a while about the last part of a)).

I thought the multiple choice was surprisingly hard. All my school exams had fairly easy questions, so it came as a bit of a shock. Overall though, it was easier than I'd expected. There was nothing that was really "out there", so to speak.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)