Curve of best fit through every point or half half? (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
So I understand that a line of best fit has to have approx half points above and below
What about a curve of best fit? Do you need to plot it through as many points as possible, or just plot a general shape with half of the points above and half of the points below (approx)?

Thank you!

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
it's a general curve that has half above, half below - imagine the type of curve you get from Excel.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
I think the latter. I don't see why you wouldn't apply the same method to a curve of best fit...

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
it's a general curve that has half above, half below - imagine the type of curve you get from Excel.
Pretty much this.

Just to add, the curve should be smooth (like don't have jagged points here and there looking like a resistor).

YoloStudent

HSC
N/A
Do not take into consideration of outliers as well. Also, the line of best fit does not have to connect with (0.0) from what I have learnt (unless stated of course), so long as the perpendicular distance between the points (outlier excluded) is roughly the same, it should be alright (remember to not include outliers

Also generally a line of best fit is a straight line if you didn't know (some people at my school draw curves that look like a hyperbola...)

Last edited:

YoloStudent

HSC
N/A
Do not take into consideration of outliers as well. Also, the line of best fit does not have to connect with (0.0) from what I have learnt (unless stated of course), so long as the perpendicular distance between the points (outlier excluded) is roughly the same, it should be alright (remember to not include outliers

Also generally a line of best fit is a straight line if you didn't know (some people at my school draw curves that look like a hyperbola...)
nvm didn't read the question of "curve of best fit". Ignore this trash of a response :c

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)