Dad throws 4 year old daughter off bridge (1 Viewer)

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Plenty of eye witnesses saw him and he went to a family law court and begged them to take his other two sons. At this stage they're accusations yes, because he hasn't been formally charged with her murder, but be reasonable, do you honestly think he didn't do it?

I've been thinking about this for the last few days and I have some points.

I don't hate this man. I think he should be institutionalized forever, but I think this case highlights the need for us to pay more attention to, and invest more efforts in detecting, supporting and treating depression and other mental health issues in men. It's still taboo, and apart from one promotional month/week a year, we don't hear much about BeyondBlue or other initiatives for men to seek help for mental health.

If he had done this purely because he was a hateful man, because he hated his daughter and because he got kicks out of it, it would be a different situation for me. I think he was feeling alone and desperate, and we all know that Family Court is biased towards women. Many men act in desperation because the removal of their kids and breakdown of their marriages signals failure. There is no fairness in the system. This doesn't excuse their irrational actions, but I think it helps to explain them.

It highlights the need for people to look closely at their relationships. Not to ignore the warning signs, because usually there are many. Domineering, controlling men in marriages will take the breakdown and removal of their kids as failure, and will act vindictively. Women don't help the situation by being vindictive bitches themselves, using their power within the courts to destroy the man they may have once loved.

It sickens me that a girl had to die, and I think the reason he killed his daughter and not his sons was because he perhaps had this subconscious hatred towards women, but I think his actions following her death point towards a man with a snapped mentality, and not a man who did this purely for kicks.

Hopefully her death won't be in vain, and hopefully mental health issues in men will get the recognition they deserve.
The public outrage, calling for the man to be lynched, fairly sickens me tbh. Mob/revenge mentality helps no one. Whatever happens, it's sad faces all round.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Exactly my sentiments. There are three groups that I know of, one with at least 10,000 people. Most of the people are calling for blood and even suggesting torture rape as a punishment. I can't in good conscience brand this man with the same iron I would if he had done this because he got a kick out of it.

I find it hard to hate him as a person. I feel incredibly sad for him, and for anybody else who is in a situation as such, that they feel there is no other alternative. Sad panda indeed.

EDIT: I don't think this makes me a monster, that I sympathise for this man. I still think he deserves punishment/treatment, and I don't think he should ever be released. I'm also incredibly saddened for the girl and her brothers, and I can only hope she had no inclination about what was about to happen. But I just can't bring myself to call for his blood.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
The death penalty is dodgy in the worst of circumstances, but this is just... fucked.

We don't even know what happened, and I don't think we'll ever be capable of understanding why he would do it.

EDIT: I don't think this makes me a monster, that I sympathise for this man. I still think he deserves punishment/treatment, and I don't think he should ever be released
Of course, most murderers are probably suffering from some mental illness, there's plenty of psychotic or schizophrenic criminals out there, but the law is still upheld in their case, mental illness may be taken into consideration in sentencing, but no one goes scot free over violent crimes for their mental illness.

He deserves a fair trial and whatever the law considers a fair verdict.

Dumb, violent, hysterical mob mentality scares the shit out of me.
That's the mindset which allows real atrocities to be committed.

Last edited:

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
I personally find the lynching of guys like this, is detrimental to the whole issue of men seeking treatment for mental health issues. When they're stigmatized over something like this, it really makes me curious as to how many people won't seek help because they're scared they'll be branded a murderer or sick fuck, regardless of whether they act.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I'm just terrified by how tenous most people's respect is for the idea of justice and a fair trial.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
I wanted to be a criminal lawyer once, when I was a teen. I found it impossible to grapple with the idea of representing somebody I knew was guilty and inherently evil.

It scared me to think that maybe I'd help murderers and rapists walk free. The only reason I support fair trials for all, is because I wonder how many innocent people were convicted for crimes they didn't commit, purely because they'd already been sentenced.

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
A Canadian mother stangled her 12 year old daughter after her boyfriend gave her an ultimatum "It's either her or me."

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
A Canadian mother stangled her 12 year old daughter after her boyfriend gave her an ultimatum "It's either her or me."
I find it hard to sympathise with that. I'm not sure why. I wouldn't call for her blood, but idk...

Reminds me of the woman in Texas who drowned all 5 children because she had PND. I found it hard to sympathise with her, because her actions were so cold and methodical. To manually drown all 5 children, it sickened me to the core.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I found it impossible to grapple with the idea of representing somebody I knew was guilty and inherently evil.

The only reason I support fair trials for all, is because I wonder how many innocent people were convicted for crimes they didn't commit, purely because they'd already been sentenced.
That's a horrible thing to say

If we have faith in our legal system, the most a lawyer can do is represent their client honestly and fairly, to the best of their ability, and their client will receive the sentence they deserve.

There is no moral dilemma if you have basic faith in our legal system.

If you really believe criminals routinely get away with the worst of crimes, I think you're mistaken.

Everyone deserves a fair trial, if only to determine any mitigating circumstances and the exact length of sentence they deserve. You can't prosecute without a trial either. Who's truth do you accept to say "yep, this person is fucked, they did it, lynch' em all"? Seemingly plain, guilty cases, often become less clear when all the evidence is presented. A trial is the only fair and objective way for all.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
It's not horrible. I don't think I could live with myself if my job was to represent these guys in court and try and get them off. Even if they didn't, I would still have to live with the idea that I am getting paid to try and help these guys evade justice, regardless of how fair the system is.

I don't disagree with you mang, I totally believe that the system should entitle all, regardless of how heinous their crime, a fair and balanced trial. I'd rather just not bat for team bad guy.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Fair enough, objection withdrawn.

I'd have no problem with providing legal counsel to Geoff Leonard, or any raper.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Some people should have their tubes tied, or their testicles cut.
Rapists and sexual pedophiles. See? There are some advantages to Bronze Age theories on justice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)