DAILY TELEGRAPH - Top 200 schools (1 Viewer)

ReTArdEd

HSC
jessied said:
YEW GO MCAULEY CATHOLIC COLLEGE GRAFTON!!! 186th!! (no, its not Catherine McAuley College). Pretty stoked considering we came 300th or something last year.
this is exactli what i mean about the effing daily telegraph....

midi

HSC
but if you look at the stats, look how many exams were sat by baulko and how many were sat by hghs

i don't think small selective schools such as hghs should be disadvantaged because only 120 students sit the test rather than maybe 150+ from other schools

so calculating it into ratio is more accurate than just counting the number of allrounders

And, hghs came 4th last year with 27 all rounders but this year if you like, hghs came 3rd with only 23 allrounders. Some people get merits without being an allrounder, so the ranking of a school shouldn't just be based on how many allrounders they have.

ReTArdEd

HSC
midi said:
but if you look at the stats, look how many exams were sat by baulko and how many were sat by hghs

i don't think small selective schools such as hghs should be disadvantaged because only 120 students sit the test rather than maybe 150+ from other schools

so calculating it into ratio is more accurate than just counting the number of allrounders

And, hghs came 4th last year with 27 all rounders but this year if you like, hghs came 3rd with only 23 allrounders. Some people get merits without being an allrounder, so the ranking of a school shouldn't just be based on how many allrounders they have.
yeaaa, ur rite, it shouldnt b based purely on allrounders, and it shouldnt purely b based on merits either, lyk i said baulko has quite a few dropkicks that shoulda dropped outta skool in yr10, and they've screwed up our marks... grrrr

nehooooz "midi", what're u doin posting threads, shouldnt u b studying??? 'the hsc is upon u in 300 or sumthin days'

emma88

HSC
Country schools

My school came 149th which is really good considering we're a country school. Second in our region!!! (but more band 6s & all rounders) YAY! I say go the country schools who may be disadvantaged espcially getting 2 on the all rounder's list thats heaps good 4 us. I'm pretty sure this is the best we've ever done.

At least disadvantage can be helped through bonus UAI points, early entry, interviews, EAS, etc.

BTW how can i get a copy of previous years lists???

PS. Newcastle shouldnt count as country anymore :p

tigergal

Wests Tigers Supporter
HSC
whitelove said:
NSG must really suck now! HAHAHAHAHA I bet their principal would be so disappointed!
so one grade which had 150 people out of about 175 get on the distinguished achievers list and which still ranked in the top 5 schools makes the entire school suck now??? Have you not done science ever, one result does not prove anything.

Each year is a new year but over the past 10 years NSG have had that 2nd place all the time apart from now and have just as much a chance of reclaiming it next year as baulko does of keeping it (i believe Baulko is the true 2nd place not hornsby).

Which principal are you referring to, outgoing or incoming? If outgoing; in her presentation day speech, her final one which marked the end of a brilliant era at the school, she said she was still very proud of them because they still did well and because that grade had soo much talent in drama/art/sporting areas so it was obvious they were going to be a little less successful than the previous grades in terms of the hsc uai success.. plus i hardly think that the uai directly determines how good you are in any shape or form, class of 2005 were a great grade they just didnt get as good hsc wise as previous grades but they still kicked the butt of every school except 4.

whitelove

HSC
I don't deny the fact that HGHS has done incredibly well this year. Good on 'em.
But they have not always been 4th, from my memory, their best rank has been 4 which only occured once.
However, Baulko have done well for the past few years. Ever since 2000, they have been in the state's top 5, where in year 2001, they were ranked 2nd for the very first time. Now it seems as though they're holding onto their position.
Isn't it funny though how noone really considers HGHS a smart school? It's always been known as one of the shittier selectives...whereas Baulko is given a lot of credit. And I too believe that Baulko has definitely more students achieving higher UAIs than HGHS. Also, the majority of people prioritize Baulko to HGHS when applying for selective, because Baulko has always been known as the better selective. That tells me something......that HGHS does not kick Baulko's ass. AND I REPEAT, THE DAILY TELEGRAPH HAS NOT BEEN KNOWN AS A RELIABLE SOURCE AND WILL NEVER BE BECAUSE THEY JUST LOVE TO SENSATIONALISE.

VQ

HSC
I wonder if this list should include all names of school doing the HSC or only the school in Syd or prolly in NSW? How about overseas schools doing HSC?

SmileyCam

HSC
OMG 192nd!!!! GO US!!! WE RULE YOU ALL!!! (the only school in out town to be in the top 200)

juju80189

HSC
ReTArdEd said:
glitterfairy, if u've ever managed to look at the "all-rounders" list in the smh, u'd realise that hornsby gurls has about 20 ppl on that list, compared to 50 and 70+ in baulko and ruse respectively...
thats gotta tell u sumthing..ON AVERAGE THOSE SKOOLS HAV MORE PPL GETTING HIGH UAIS =P

pluuuuus, baulko has always consistently done well and hornsby is neva evaaaaaa gonna knock em off the no.2 spot...and, and, and, the onli reason why baulko mite hav been ranked 3rd in the daily telegraph was cause its got 150+ students getting ova 97UAI, but then the tail-end of the skool gets lyk 57s,

jus thought i'd let u knoe...
well just to let YOU know, hornsby has been improving over the years especially after it turned back to being selective in the late 1990s. If you were onli to take into consideration the people who got an UAI over 97, then wat's the point of being part of a school if you're only to be excluded when you get an UAI of 57?! u don't just exclude people just because they didn't perform to the best of their ability! No matter how extremely well a part of the grade does and how extremely *bad* another part of the grade does, they're all still part of that school and we should look at a school not by individuals or groups, but as a WHOLE.

white love said:
Isn't it funny though how noone really considers HGHS a smart school? It's always been known as one of the shittier selectives...whereas Baulko is given a lot of credit. And I too believe that Baulko has definitely more students achieving higher UAIs than HGHS. Also, the majority of people prioritize Baulko to HGHS when applying for selective, because Baulko has always been known as the better selective. That tells me something......that HGHS does not kick Baulko's ass.
When you say "noone" considers HGHS a smart school, think twice. There are definitely some people who do see it as a smart selective school, and it's just because hornsby has not been a selective school for as long as baulko has, thats why baulko is more *well known*. Besides, what people prioritize for their selective test in year 6 does not directly mean that the school is better. hornsby is a single sex high school whereas baulko is a co-ed high school, and MANY would prefer going to a co-ed than single sex school, thus the higher priority.

The ranks really don't mean that much in my opinon, it just kinda gives everyone a general idea of how well the year 12 grade at different schools performed in the hsc. But it is also because of these ranks that you have pride in your school. =)

Last edited:

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
CSI: CRIMES ™ said:
ok where's the rest? apart from the top 200??????????????????

the 200 +
Like it was stated before CRIMES know body is sure when the '200 +' list will be out, I like you am awaiting its release because my school didn't make it in the top 200 and I would really like to see how well we did or didn't score.

spoon3er

HSC
N/A
wow. go sceggs darlinghurst '05 - the girls this yr did an awesome job - 10th on that list! top private girls school... and the ONLY private school apart from syd grammar in the top 10 - woohoo!!

frootloop

HSC
michaelirish said:
We have a list of the top 200 schools on an over all basis....
What about a list bASED on Maths only?
They included one in the SMH Honour Roll liftout.

A l

HSC
N/A
Can you post that up? Either by scan or manually typing it please....

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
glitterfairy said:
28. Sefton HS --- 934, DA: 248, 26.55%
That's a fantastic result and it raises the bar for us as class of 2006.
I'd like to see where sefton came in Maths....Class of 2005 had:
53 Distinguished Achievers in Mathematics
52 Distinguished Achievers in Mathematics Extension 1
15 Distinguished Achievers in Mathematics Extension 2
I hope this is just the beginning of Sefton's rise up and cracking the Top 20 is our aim. Sefton has not been in the Top 20 since 2000! The only thing is, that there is (so far) no Hong Hui or David Ong type of person in our grade......

HNCS

Fanatic
HSC
whitelove said:
NSG must really suck now! HAHAHAHAHA I bet their principal would be so disappointed!
Um..correction..our principal is going to Ascham Girls..thus not dissapointed..she's going to get so much money over there...= =

HNCS

Fanatic
HSC
I can't believe our school isn't even on the list..a glimpse of our motto: what is the best school in the best city in the best country in the world? Oatley!

though i'm going to NSGHS next year...a shocker..i finally think i can go to the top girl school..and they tell me they rank fifth..and not even surpass 50%....bad news...i hope they do better next year...*pumping self-confidence*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)