Dan Brown (1 Viewer)

rific

HSC
Well, the way I see it, any reference to Britney Spears is 'too funny' in its own right. But that aside, for all we knew/know, jim_green is the head of the Spears fan club and thinks she's the best thing since sliced bread, but then everyone gets all defensive and thinks it's immediately an insult - it could have been a compliment... :)

Time for honesty here folks - deep down you all know you love Britney Spears and have participated in singing and dancing along with her while out with friends, deny it all you want, but I know the truth. :)

As I said, too funny.

Enlightened yet? :p

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
no way i never ever have danced/sung along to one of her songs. ok i lie. Everytime is pretty catchy

tempco

HSC
Argonaut said:
DVC was shit.

Angels and Demons was too.

Likewise Decpetion Point.

And Digital Fortress.
you sure are a slow learner.

tempco

HSC
angels and demons was great. personally, i couldnt put it down. havent read deception point or digital fortress though.

btw, what did you find so sucky about A&D?

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
it's a good read for what it is- it's better than some of the other more popular crime/mystery shit thats out there.

Agnes2810

sUp ?
HSC
steph@nie said:
it's a good read for what it is- it's better than some of the other more popular crime/mystery shit thats out there.
exactly !

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
The Britney reference referred to in fact their similar mindless trashy entertainment value, but I will concede that as far as the overall package goes, Britney has Dan Brown beat hands down :p

walrusbear said:
two of my favs too. have you read the new murakami yet? (kafka on the shore)
i bought it a few weeks ago but i've been busy with uni stuff to get around to it yet
It's quintessential Murakami. I bought it the day I saw it out at my unishop. It's a good read, probably his least accessible since The Windup Bird Chronicle, but I think you mentioned that you liked that some time ago? Very trippy though, lots of talking to cats, and dreamscape pimps dressed as KFC's Colonel Sanders and whatnot. :)

Agnes2810 said:
well sorrEEEEEEEEEEEEEy
That's ok, it's not your fault.

Last edited:

Agnes2810

sUp ?
HSC
jim_green said:
The Britney reference referred to in fact their similar mindless trashy entertainment value, but I will concede that as far as the overall package goes, Britney has Dan Brown beat hands down :p

It's quintessential Murakami. I bought it the day I saw it out at my unishop. It's a good read, probably his least accessible since The Windup Bird Chronicle, but I think you mentioned that you liked that some time ago? Very trippy though, lots of talking to cats, and dreamscape pimps dressed as KFC's Colonel Sanders and whatnot. :)

thank god for that

walrusbear

HSC
jim_green said:

yeah windup bird is one of my favourites

do you rate his more personal and subtle stuff like Sputnik Sweetheart?

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
On the whole I'd say that I prefer his more subtle stuff, as I like them all, but my favourites are "Dance Dance Dance" followed by "Hardboiled Wonderland", which lean a bit more the other way. Ahhh.. it's all good :)

walrusbear

HSC
jim_green said:
On the whole I'd say that I prefer his more subtle stuff, as I like them all, but my favourites are "Dance Dance Dance" followed by "Hardboiled Wonderland", which lean a bit more the other way. Ahhh.. it's all good :)
those are both topnotch
i think dance dance dance is my overall favourite too

out of his smaller scale works i've only read sputnik sweetheart
haven't even read norwegian wood yet :p

have you read any kafka dude?
murakami is heavily influenced by him, it's easy to see.
i read the trial recently and it's an excellent book - highly recommend it.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
LOL.. embarrassing story. I borrowed The Trial ages ago from the library and was confused at the relative lack of paragraphs. Being the literary newb I was, I put it down, thinking that I had picked up some misprinted copy and switched to the Dostoevsky short story collection I had picked up around the same time (White Nights I think the first story was called, top stuff). I will get around to Kafka again though, he does come up a lot in conversation.

walrusbear

HSC
jim_green said:
LOL.. embarrassing story. I borrowed The Trial ages ago from the library and was confused at the relative lack of paragraphs. Being the literary newb I was, I put it down, thinking that I had picked up some misprinted copy and switched to the Dostoevsky short story collection I had picked up around the same time (White Nights I think the first story was called, top stuff). I will get around to Kafka again though, he does come up a lot in conversation.
did it include notes from underground?
that is a brilliant novella/story/novel

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Nah.. I'll give Dostoevsky a real go later as well. I've only read Crime and Punishment and some lesser known short stories so far. So much to read, so little time :)

Sphyx

Asphyxiated
HSC
does anyone know when the DVC film comes out? im looking forward to it. i personally found the books pretty exciting. admitedly, the language, characters, plot-development, etc were shithouse, but the ideas were brilliant. id be interested to see how the movie turns out.

walrusbear

HSC
isn't that movie 'national treasure' in a similar vein??

(i don't know i haven't read DVC or seen NT)

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Yeah, I heard that too walrus. Frankly I'm disappointed, Nicholas Cage so rarely puts a foot wrong in his choice of role that it's all the more disappointing when he goes for a stinker of a movie made to capitalise on a stinker of a book

Oh and the DVC movie is out next year according to IMDB.

walrusbear

HSC
jim_green said:
Yeah, I heard that too walrus. Frankly I'm disappointed, Nicholas Cage so rarely puts a foot wrong in his choice of role that it's all the more disappointing when he goes for a stinker of a movie made to capitalise on a stinker of a book

Oh and the DVC movie is out next year according to IMDB.
i'm not a giant nicholas cage fan
he's had his moments though
i've still not seen Leaving Las Vegas though

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Actually come to think of it he's made some pretty poor choices.. Windtalkers, Gone in 60 Seconds etc. I guess I only remember him for the good movies, like Bringing Out the Dead, Raising Arizona.. and yeah, Leaving Las Vegas is pretty powerful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)