• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Death Metal!!! (1 Viewer)

bludga59

HSC
Music = an art form

Now, try defining art...not going to happen because people have different views of what art is.

Charizard, why don't you think this music has much longevity? ANY music has longevity, it's not like only 13 year olds listen to this (actually I don't know anyone around that age that likes metal, they generally listen to whatever the radio/hitlists tell them to listen to). I don't think people mature out of metal, they seem to mature INTO it. Although some are life long fans (such as myself, been listening to metal since like 9-10, Fear Factory got me into it).

I don't think death metal does anything better than other genres, just differently.

Oh and Charizard, I may of missed it if you posted it but...what music do you like? :)

Mumma

HSC
Charizard said:
I can see we will never agree, but at least you didn't go down the "opinions can't be wrong doode" road.
Suggesting that music can be considered objectivity bad or not even music is ridiculous because you have no way to measure the quality of music.

There is music out there I don't like but I don't go and outright dismiss it and say its not music, or that its objectively shit like its some sort of scientific fact. Fair enough if you don't like it or say its shit, I don't think anyone here actually gives a shit and as fans we deal with it all the time. In the end its your loss, our gain, as its one more genre we can enjoy.

Also I'd call bullshit on the longevity argument, been into metal since I was 12 and here I am 8 years later nearly 20 and still loving every moment of it and expanding my tastes. I'm sure it's not going to stop any time soon, and if your going to explain that due to a lack of maturity then there's just no hope in continuing this discussion.

Charizard

HSC
bludga59 said:
Music = an art form

Now, try defining art...not going to happen because people have different views of what art is.

Charizard, why don't you think this music has much longevity? ANY music has longevity, it's not like only 13 year olds listen to this (actually I don't know anyone around that age that likes metal, they generally listen to whatever the radio/hitlists tell them to listen to). I don't think people mature out of metal, they seem to mature INTO it. Although some are life long fans (such as myself, been listening to metal since like 9-10, Fear Factory got me into it).

I don't think death metal does anything better than other genres, just differently.

Oh and Charizard, I may of missed it if you posted it but...what music do you like? :)
I'm sure some don't and maybe mature isn't the right word. Although in my experience this kind of music seems to be more popular in 14-18 year old teenagers then any other age bracket and seems to significantly decline as people age. There is always exceptions however. That's what i meant by longevity.

What music i like ? Well i like some sort of music from just about most genre's, until we start going into that death/grind/screamo/ kind of area in which i have always struggled to understand how that could sound pleasurable to someones ears.

Charizard

HSC
Mumma said:
Also I'd call bullshit on the longevity argument, been into metal since I was 12 and here I am 8 years later nearly 20 and still loving every moment of it and expanding my tastes. I'm sure it's not going to stop any time soon, and if your going to explain that due to a lack of maturity then there's just no hope in continuing this discussion.
If you still listen to this kind of music when you are 30, i would be surprised.

Mumma

HSC
Of course you'd be surprised, I don't expect anything else from you. I'll also still be listening to Iron Maiden, The Knife, Agalloch, The Who, Dead Can Dance, The Beatles, Jefferson Airplane, Pelican, Ef, Men At Work :D ... I can't even begin to imagine what else I'd listen to. My music (including but not limited to metal and all its forms) has shaped me and my play list hasn't dropped a song ever since I started backing it up in year 7.

BeyondDeath

HSC
Charizard said:
If you still listen to this kind of music when you are 30, i would be surprised.
Whoa dude, I know of a LOT of ppl who are over 30 that still listens to this and have been going at it for a long time, and I'm sure I'll be one of them.

As for your "some music are objectively bad" bullshit, some ppl are into stuff even less accessable (imo) than death metal like Noise and Drone. That music isn't stuff that you would put on the stereo while driving and sing alone to, you have to be in the right mood/ atmosphere to fully appreciate, and I think it applies for death metal. You cant just say its "objectively" bad music just because you dont understand it and cant find qualities that you enjoy.

neafoo

HSC
Charizard said:
Metal was pretty big in the 80's. As a result theres a SHITLOAD of 40 year olds who still turn up to all the gigs.

Pantera

HSC
Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet....

PSYCROPTIC!

Some of the best Tech. Death out there, they are Aussie's too.

Legham

HSC
Yo, Omie Jay get over this "death metal is angry music" business. I only listen to metal and i'm not an angry person. The real reason death metal is better than most other kinds of music is because the guitarists and drummers actually have talent in most cases and play far more technical music. Also there is a huge range of different vocals. And the music is way more powerful. It's not just some shitty beat with a faggot singing over the top of it.

Anyways, Omie. Here are some bands and their albums that you NEED to check out that haven't been mentioned as far as i could see in this thread:

Kalmah: The black waltz
Nomans Land: Raven Flight
Profugus Mortis: So It Begins
Abigail Williams: whatever their EP is called
Amon Amarth: Whatever albums you don't have
Cradle Of Filth: All albums. Particularly Bitter Suites to Succubi, Cruelty And The Beast and From The Cradle To Enslave.
Children Of Bodom: All Albums
Lost Eden: Cycle Repeats
Moonsorrow: All albums. particularly Kivenkantaja

Also you asked for some black metal so get these bands: \

Sterbend
Wedard
Nyktalgia
Anti
Niflheim
Burzum (already mentioned)
Wotanorden
Leviathan
Morgul
Cirith Gorgor

And eventually when you get around to looking for something a little more out there from your standard death metal get:

Finntroll (folk metal)
Arcturus (avant-garde black metal)
The Kovenant (avant-garde black metal)
Dungeon Elite (awesome nintendo style screamo or whatever. Cool no matter what you're into.)

definitely give those a listening.

lolokay

HSC
wtf guys this is death metal, not folk metal :(

i-r-nerd

HSC
i love death metal. geez like all my frineds listen to it too. wow another meatl head sweet!!!!!!!

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Legham said:
Yo, Omie Jay get over this "death metal is angry music" business. I only listen to metal and i'm not an angry person. The real reason death metal is better than most other kinds of music is because the guitarists and drummers actually have talent in most cases and play far more technical music. Also there is a huge range of different vocals. And the music is way more powerful. It's not just some shitty beat with a faggot singing over the top of it.
lol..im not an angry person, and i quite fully agree with you about how talented they are, its just that i like angry music, like slipknot's iowa and selftitled album, but when u get growls like deathmetal bands do, it makes it so much more awesome. Although i know that not all death metal is angry music, if anyone has listened to 'under the northern star' by amon amarth i know they would agree with me that it's quite a beautiful song.

Speaking of amon amarth, i got Versus the World, Fate of Norns, and With Oden On Our Side, but i only seem to like with oden on our side... maybe i just gotta listen to the other songs again, any good songs from those other 2 albums that ppl know about?

Also i seem to quite like In Flames, i got colony, and the jester race (which i love very much). Whats an in flames album that sounds similar to jester race?

Also big big thank'ee to everyone for suggestions, much much appreciated :D:D:D

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Aw man, thats sucky, yes it is sensational, the solos in that album are absolutely sensational.
Hm..looks like i need a bigger download limit..

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Who said anything about piracy! Download limit is passed, so it takes ages to access my uni website, and to answer online tests it takes even more ages!!!
;)

Legham

HSC
Omie Jay said:
lol..im not an angry person, and i quite fully agree with you about how talented they are, its just that i like angry music, like slipknot's iowa and selftitled album, but when u get growls like deathmetal bands do, it makes it so much more awesome. Although i know that not all death metal is angry music, if anyone has listened to 'under the northern star' by amon amarth i know they would agree with me that it's quite a beautiful song.

Speaking of amon amarth, i got Versus the World, Fate of Norns, and With Oden On Our Side, but i only seem to like with oden on our side... maybe i just gotta listen to the other songs again, any good songs from those other 2 albums that ppl know about?

Also i seem to quite like In Flames, i got colony, and the jester race (which i love very much). Whats an in flames album that sounds similar to jester race?

Also big big thank'ee to everyone for suggestions, much much appreciated :D:D:D
Yeah, Give Amon Amarth a bigger listen. I had only one song, North Sea Storm, for about 4 months and then suddenly in one car trip it became my favourite song, so i got the rest of the albums.

edit: thread lost all credibility when Exfail posted.

Legham

HSC
you already used that call on msn! get a new one noobert!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)