Decrypting my teacher's commnet? (1 Viewer)

trolface

HSC
I got my trial Hamlet essay back and surprisingly I quite underperformed, as I got 13/20, though I have achieved a better mark for Hamlet in the test we had before. In the teacher's comment the main critique was my hand writing as she mentions, "Your hand writing is extremely difficult to read, this impacts the flow and reader comprehension of your discussion"

And this leads on to my very first question:
How much do you think horrible hand writing affects your marks (mine were quite illegible)

And secondly she also mentioned, "Exam technique-timing-discussion seems to be be under developed"
Here I don't understand what she means by "exam technique"?

Thanks guys :)

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
- it doesn't/shouldn't. in the HSC they take some what care to read it but if it is truly shit like mine then move on

- you don't know how to do exams properly

Intrinsic

HSC
Well it's recommended to sacrifice quantity for clarity. I didn't get a a band 6 in trials due to horrible handwriting - to the point where some of my essays were illegible.

Your teacher is basically saying that you're not spending an adequate amount of time on each module/paragraphs in your essay, and that your discussion of texts is insufficient (may be due to weak textual evidence - you may want to ask your teacher to clarify what he/she meant by that comment).

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Just remember that if the HSC markers can't read the work they can't give it marks.

Every effort will be made to read it but...they are also expected to be marking at around 12 - 15 essays an hour so spending too long on one essay is frowned upon.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
13/20 is pretty good

(jokes that's the standard marks I got last yr)

Fiction

HSC
According to my english teacher, HSC markers only spend a few minutes on marking any one paper (like individual paper not paper as a whole obv) - they can't afford to give more time than that. So yes. Legibility does matter. If you have messy handwriting, you're putting yourself at a disadvantage. Try to improve your handwriting, but honestly if you've tried and can't/don't have the time for/cannot change bad habits, don't worry too much. Just space out your words more and signpost.

I'm not going to answer the second half of your question since IMO it's already been answered on this thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)