Depression and the HSC - how do you cope? (1 Viewer)

lsdpoon1337

HSC
Re: Leaving school depression?

Not finding HSC stressful lol, there's still more exams and assessments to do in Uni- FUCK!

lig3r

HSC
lol DON'T REJECT YOUR FRIENDS DONT BLOCK YOURSELF OUT <=== best advice !! but dont always go out, allocate time for study

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
Well there is no way to cope. All I say to myself is life goes on and one day there will be no existence of myself and neither is there today.

Astea

HSC
Well there is no way to cope. All I say to myself is life goes on and one day there will be no existence of myself and neither is there today.
Seek help. Resolve the problem, you still have time. You're lucky you're not knee-deep in your hsc and dealing with severe depression. But please seek help, because people make the same mistake over and over and that is keeping everything to yourself. Remember that your health is more important. I think I've already accepted the fact that I can't do anything about my hsc anymore.

DannyBoy33

HSC
N/A
Well, depression is pretty much an illusion, but that's not really helpfull.

Think about the stuff that makes you feel good to do. Spending your energy on daily basis will help. Eat proper and scream from time to time. Talk to someone, it'll make you feel like after happy pill you'd get at your doctor.

MissSquiggly

HSC
N/A
Well, firstly, they shouldn't try cramming things before the exam.
So if they study regularly, they will gradually build up more confidence about each subject right?
When the exam comes, they'll have a degree of certainty and they will do well enough :)

Regular exercise should help.

Sleeping more should help.

Eating properly would be good... Like, cut out the junk food and overly sugar-y things?

Umm.. And instead of trying to study 24'7 they should find some time to relax! :D

Lalah96

HSC
Uni Grad
I suffer from bipolar and my best advice is don't stress yourself out with studying not only would it make your depression worse you block yourself out of the world around you. The world stops for no one you'll just get left behind. Instead get out and interact with others, try to stay fit and no matter how you feel make sure you eat well :)

ShadowLighte

HSC
Depression + Social anxiety. Coping is pretty damned hard, I mean life with a mental illness is stressful enough as it is but yeah, pretty much everything that's being mentioned. Don't isolate yourself if you can, as much as you may want to -unless people are being assholes or you need quiet then okay because when you're alone, though it may feel nice and stuff, you're left alone with your thoughts and those thoughts can be pretty dangerous. Especially with depression.

Laughing is always good. For me, I don't like being around people and don't really have 'friends' so to speak but I have the internet which makes me pretty content. I know I have to get out more but my social anxiety is pretty extreme. Do things that make you happy. Food isn't a really good option if you're depressed for the long term. If you've just had a really stressful day or something then sure but not like, every day all the time. The risk of binge eating all the junk food is too high and then the guilt hits you afterwards and you feel worse.

I like to watch shows. And read. Escaping in a good book can do wonders. I usually read a couple of chapters before bed or after school if it was a crappy day or sometimes during lunch or something- actually whenever I feel things are pretty damn crap and I want to go away. I have a bunch of movies/ anime/ shows that I keep waiting for a rough day or something and that's always something to look forward to if you're in school and you just want it to end.

Of course, if your depression or mental illness is making it hard to live life as you want it, you should really go and seek help as the others have said. And I agree with whoever said to keep seeking help even if the first or second one is crappy, especially school counsellors. Mine only lasted a few sessions and did nothing. Talk to someone about it, vent. I'll be here if anyone needs to talk about anything.

ThatPoliticsKid

HSC
This thread is basically dead in the water, but I thought I'd post anyway.

I'm currently doing my HSC and it really does stress me out and make me depressed. You get the teachers (particularly the Principal and Deputy Principal) saying that if you don't do well in the HSC, you'll just have to settle with a low-income career. I've done some external research to debunk that expression. With this 'research', I now know the paths I can take to achieve my career goal, and honestly - the HSC just appears to be a rashvine-tangled, snake-infested shortcut. I've shaved down what I think the HSC means to me in the long-term and for the most part, it's pride. It's my pride that stresses me out and my desire to do well for whatever it's worth.

I've got my trials next week, but I really, REALLY can't build the motivation to study (despite wanting to). I feel that this is due to the anxiety and stress over-exerting my mind and ultimately numbing my brain. My head feels like a cognitive wall; nothing gets in or out. I wish I could just clear my brain and start the HSC all over again.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
Can I just encourage everyone in this thread or will read this thread to see their GP if they ever feel that you can't manage the stress in your life or feel consistently depressed. The HSC is a crappy period in your life, it's not the be all and end all (it's a shortcut like mentioned above) into getting into a career. Most folks who do study a subject at tertiary education don't wind up practicing in that field anyway. High school is a farce but unfortunately it's a hoop we all have to jump through. Everyone else around you, your mates and your colleagues will be feeling the same thing but no one talks about it and it isn't recognised as a widespread issue in modern education. I emphasise again, if this really is getting you down, please talk to your GP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)