Depression? (1 Viewer)

gigglinJess

Broken Inside
HSC
This is aimed at people that have battled/are battling depression, and also to people that have friends that have been/are depressed.

How did it affect your life?

How did you deal with it?

Did you seek help? Who?

Is it fair on friend/s if you lean on them during this time?

Please only serious posters

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
gigglinJess said:
This is aimed at people that have battled/are battling depression, and also to people that have friends that have been/are depressed.

Did you seek help? Who?

i think i was depressed in year 8 or 9. it was when the dynamics of groups changed and formed. i couldnt accept it at the time and i was too afraid to tell anyone. i just kept it to myself. well... it affected me as i didnt feel like doing anything at all: wake up, go to school, eat, shower. but over time i got to accept it and now the people that i didnt want my friends hanging around are now the people im closest to.
i didnt seek help, i just got over it through time.:)

shell.q

HSC
How did it affect your life? mine i am not to sure how it effected my life to be honest, i have had severe depressio since i can remeber, well wat felt like to be, i havent been the happiest since yr6 i would think in yr 11/12 now, but recently was cleared from it and it has been a huge impact just the recovery after 5yrs of trying to beat such a hideous disease. it was only diagnosed last yr but when it was it made such a larger impact on my life life, just knwoing yeah it is clinical depression made it worse becuase it made u think im a faliure all over again, but then it effected my life in pretty much eevry aspect, school, social and sport, i pretty much stopped it all. then social became drugs sport became an addiction and school became nothing. but now i think it had a positive impact, if i didnt go through all of tht i wouldnt be prepared for what lies ahead of me on this path.

How did you deal with it? i have prob already answered this but i did ask for help for the first four yrs i refused to believe it was depression and self harmed, did drugs blocked those who care out, became a turtle of my shell pretty much. then after i spoke up i became more open to my feelings and more aware of what was going on, i ended up talking to different peple and just distract myself in different ways weather this was by going for a walk or run or reading a book

Did you seek help? Who? i did i wrote a letter to my mum, but didnt do much then i was outside one night in tears and my mum asked what was up she ended up saying cmon we need to go see soeone, and we did we went to my doc then a counsellor she didnt help much she was one of those sterotypical counsellors, and how did tht make u feel? type things then went bak to my doctor and went to goverment funded place it was the best step i got a phsycoligist and physchiatirst they had me diagnosed within a few days on medication just mild does and also talking and working through the steps.
i then needed to seek the help through those closests to me so my friends. these kids were the ones tht made me feel like i did belong even through the worst times when i was someone totaly different.

Is it fair on friend/s if you lean on them during this time? if they are tuly your friends it wouldnt matter if it is a good or a bad time for them, they care and would rather it be let out then bottled up. just watch who u trust i say. but by all means go and talk to a friend thats what they are there for. i leant on friends and some days i would mope around going dont worry im fine becuase i felt so much guilt leaning on them but thing is it comes with the depression the guilt and sometimes ur instincs are the best to follow it is ur head. if they do have to much on their plate they would more then likley say hey look i cnt handle other peoples emotions atm lz just bak off for a while, n dont take tht personally it is just so they can get through their troubles, u may be able to offer, hey why dont we both sit down and talk about our problems together it may be helpfull to you both.

if u r asking this becuase u think u might be there dont hesitate to pm or ask for my email, i will be willing to help as much as i can if it means trying to find a counsellor near u or something alike.

take care =] xxx

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
Depression will become a very serious health problem in the near future (probably already is).

Depression turns me into a strange person. No one wants to hang around me, people think you have no sense of humor, it goes round and round in bad circles. Depression means you no longer enjoy the things that you used to love doing.

You can see a counsellor, you can take pills (although from my studies relapse can happen). Counsellors will talk to you and learn about your problems from your perspective. From there they can either challenge them if they appear unrealistic, or teach you ways of moving yourself over to a brighter side of life.

From a friends perspective, the best we can do is provide support, encourage them to take part in activities that will draw them away from depression and be there to help them see the better side of life. Of course friends need to have their own lives, which is why seeing a counsellor is the best thing to do. Real friends will take the time to help you as much as they reasonably can.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
in all seriousness, this is a spectrum disorder.. and its not like ... on or off.. u can have depression and not know it.. or be depressed and its not depressions per se.. it can be PMS, anxiety disorder or something else.. hypothyroidism is a well known cause

General rules:
seek help
-when its overwhelming
-when you cant find the 'cause' or ur behaviour is affecting ure personal relationships
-when you have suicidal thoughts or are in danger
-when you feel like utter crap..

help= GPs, psychologist, school counsellors, crisis lines ,etc

How to fix it:
-you have to find your own inner peace with ur demons... failure, substances, difficult partner.
-resolve all issues if possible
-learn stress management/.. as well as time management
-have a holiday or a distraction (i prefer reading about weird things)
-Medications are very useful and work very well if used properly under the supervision of a professional and with the above changes.. I have seen this and the research shows it is a safe option.

I have seen it.. dealt with it... treated it... personally, socially and professionally.. its hard but u need to hang in there and look for something that is secure and reliable. Avoid feeling down and learn to avoid ur triggers...

its like asthma .. its a disease with phases... but if u had asthma would u still run thru a field of dustmites and pollen? well probably not... dun do it if ur depressed by making or finding stress

keep smiling and find something that keeps you going when that fails.. see ur GP ASAP:read:

btw if its year 12.. remember it ends.. and it gets better :)

gigglinJess

Broken Inside
HSC
So if I went to see a school counsellor, they are not allowed to let anyone else know are they?

gigglinJess

Broken Inside
HSC
What is actually classed as self harming.... I tend to scratch at myself when I'm down... But thats it....

aussie-boy

HSC
I think these questions are dumb...

Firstly, "how did it affect your life." If you're depressed, it's generally because your life is shit. The question should be how did your shit life make you depressed.

For this very reason, it really annoys me when really social people with gf/bf+ lots of friends, and happy family get 'depressed,' as I just can't fathom a justifiable cause for it

And the last question, "is it fair if you lean on friends?" Personally, I was pretty depressed for a while because of lack of friends - I saw other people going out partying and dicking around while I was stuck at home playing computer games and shit. And I think social disconnection is probably the #1 cause of depression - if you have people to rely on for friendship, love, employment opportunities, fun, then what else do you need? So this question also, IMO, seems dumb

ambi89

HSC
its not fair im suffering now from it it has f*&^%$ up everthing for me i lost friends and family members and had to leave school last yr wen i was doing my hcs and had to start it all over again and now im 2 yr older then everyone and i hate it bacaues they all h8 me 4 my age
i hide away when it gets too tuff of i will end up hurting someone i care for of myself i have tryed to get help but nothing seems to work so i just have lernt to deal with it but its so hard sometimes i left my family out of it bacause i did not think it was fair on them but they no and are trying to help so everyone is effected diff by it :( :( :(

HSC
aussie-boy said:

Firstly, "how did it affect your life." If you're depressed, it's generally because your life is shit. The question should be how did your shit life make you depressed.

For this very reason, it really annoys me when really social people with gf/bf+ lots of friends, and happy family get 'depressed,' as I just can't fathom a justifiable cause for it

And the last question, "is it fair if you lean on friends?" Personally, I was pretty depressed for a while because of lack of friends - I saw other people going out partying and dicking around while I was stuck at home playing computer games and shit. And I think social disconnection is probably the #1 cause of depression - if you have people to rely on for friendship, love, employment opportunities, fun, then what else do you need? So this question also, IMO, seems dumb

..you're a fucking idiot.

Ria001

HSC

Did you seek help? Who?

I have a friend with depression.

How did it affect your life? Because we are friends... I feel like I have to do something. It makes me so sad a lot... She used to be this happy person and then she just went down... She started cutting and thinking about killing herself. I guess it made me a touchier person, and I freak out at the smallest self mutilation things on tv where i start balling and shaking... but it's also made me stronger.

How did you deal with it? The only way I know how... keeping it all in. lol. I still havent reallyy dealt with it, especially now she is back in a pyschiatric ward...

Did you seek help? Who? Not really. I can't. I wouldn't know what to say.I've only sort of discussed it with my other friends. It's hard to talk about it... You can't just go up to someone and say "My friend cuts herself and is in a psych unit. Help"

Is it fair on friend/s if you lean on them during this time? This is a hard one. Yes and no i guess. I know that friends are always there, but still. Sometimes they don't know what to do or say. When my friend tells me that she is about to commit suicide, or nearly did and wussed out, I am so scared that I will say the wrong thing! And sometimes I just wish she was a normal, happy go lucky sort of person that she used to be and immediately feel guilty! It's hard on the person with depression... but a lot of the time its just as hard, if not harder, on the friend.

georgia-ellen

HSC

yeah I agree, you're a fucking idiot.
Depression is a mental illness, it doesn't require a justifiable cause. Something shit can happen to you and it doesnt mean you will get depression, and vice versa. It can also be hereditary.
And besides that, who ever allowed you to judge what is a justifiable cause? It's not like you'd ever know. I had depression in year eight and I am pretty much certain only three people know about it, one being a psychologist.
And then you say that you had depression when you were younger because you stayed at home playing games when other people were out. That is a perfectly plausible catalyst for depression, as the disease alters perceptions on reality, but what makes that issue more relevant than really social people with lots of friends? We have our reasons too. There's alot more under the surface than the preface people show.
You really have no idea what goes on within other peoples' minds, so you should fuck off before you judge.

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC

Definately an idiot. Who the heck are you to decide what is or isn't a "justifiable cause" for someone to be depressed? You arrogant little shit.

Maybe people reading your post think you're just as dumb, if not more so, for sitting around on a computer and not going out and making friends- just getting on BOS and whining about how you didn't have any.

Not saying I neccessarily think that, but just think about what you're saying. Your situation might seem just as stupid to someone else, as someone else's does to you. So get a grip, and don't pass judgement, basically.

laniani

HSC
I suffered from it for roughly four year- 15-19. Bad bad bad times.

At the time, obviously it was absolutely horrible. I was ashamed by it and scared by it, I tried to hide it from as many people as I could. My family never knew, they thought I was going through 'normal teenage problems' and was disappointed in not being about to go on school tours, camps etc. Some days I would just burst into tears, even though nothing specific was bothering me, I just felt so so empty and so lost in who I was.
However, feeling a lot better now, and I believe it has made me a much stronger person, and more aware of others feelings, and more able to control how I feel, and deal with it.

badly- self harm, developed an ED. I THOUGHT it helped me through, but it didnt. It just gives you more things to battle, so please please please dont resort to this- you will make it so much harder on yourself.
I saw a school counsellor who was crap. I obviously couldnt tell her about what I was doing, as she would've had to tell someone. So she told me she thought I was ready to stop seeing her, and to remember that I have a 'sensitive soul'. pppht.
saw a uni counsellor last year, she was a bit better- but she was leaving on long service leave. gave me a letter to take to my GP to go see a psych but I never did.
Eventually, I just pulled myself out of it. Built a barrier, try not to care as much.
I dont like how i've dealt with it, I wish now that I'd seen someone professionally, wish I'd gone to that GP and been passed on to a psych, its such a healthy and successful was of dealing with it. I was scared of seeing one, as my mum is in the business..I was worried she would find out.

Did you seek help? Who?
As above.

Um. some. some cant handle it. I lost some friends, or a level of closeness I'd had with friends through it. But i'm glad I found out how much they could handle. I need people around me who I can talk to, who can understand how I feel- so I was able to move closer to those ones. There were a few that were absolutely amazing through it all. But I didnt want them to be burdened with my troubles as well as their own, which is why I saw the counsellor initially. One particular encouraged me to talk about everything with him. He was amazingly helpful and was able to give me spurts of happiness. So...just choose carefully which friends to lean on.

Ultimately, what I would say to anyone in this situation- is that it is too hard by yourself. Please talk to someone.

rachelaruggeri

HSC

Did you seek help? Who?

Hey. I have had depression 3 times.
oh btw what exphate said, ignore it. sorry to that person.
I think if you have some close friends or ones you know you can lean on for things it is ok because i know for a fact you cannot get out of depression by yourself and keep it away or at least i couldnt.

It has effected my life in a major way and still is, sometimes i couldnt function and i still get bouts at school and my friends some of them stayed away, it effected my school marks i didnt get as good as i could have because i just wouldn't stay in class.

saw that you scratched yourself, i did that too, its a form of self harming not as serious but still not good.

i delt with it by telling some...very close people around me, not my family but friends who can see when i am faking happiness, before i hurt myself or thought of it i told someone about it let them help talk to me i.. i am a christian so at my youth i started talking to a youth leader and slowly i got through it i made myself start to think of the good in other peoples lives and stiuations which help me see the good in mine.

i am currently in year 12 and i was going through depression from year 9 on and off i still get some bouts but i have those people even though one is in a different state and one i didnt even know well but said to talk to her if i needed it they help me to see the good in things and even the people that need me there for them it would be a better idea to see a counciler and if you are not comfortable with that mabey try writting and drawing and stuff it helps a bit, but it depends how healthy a state of mind you are in..

hope that did something. wanna talk im here even though i dont know you.

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC

Yea you're very dumb. The depression these people are talking about is an illness not an emotion that you feel when something bad happens. According to you - rich people with friends etc shouldn't get depressed and those in poverty should. 'can't fathom a justifiable reason for it' yea I still haven't figured out why bipolars are so moody...:confused: watz da reeson?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)