Depth perception (1 Viewer)

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
We have greater depth perception right? I vaguely remeber the teacher saying this but the textbook syas otherwise.

from hsc.csu: The images formed by each eye are superimposed by the brain, and because each view is slightly different, objects appear to have depth as well as height and breadth, that is we see in three dimensions. This is known as stereoscopic or binocular vision.

from textbook: they explain stereoscopic and binocular as two different sources of vision

can someone please clear this up ? this is dot point 3.2.6 btw :)

get.regime

Greater depth perception than... ?

My summary for this point is probably not as good as it should be, but I have in my notes:

* The production of two different images of a view can result in depth perception. Depth perception is created when an individual views an object with two eyes and both the eyes create two slightly different images. The brain interprets the two images and merges them in to one image, giving depth perception as well as height and breadth.
* Depth perception therefore, depends on binocular vision where the fields of vision overlap.
* Predators have eyes toward the front giving them greater distance or depth perception. Animals that are preyed upon have eyes on the sides, which give them a wider field of view but little depth perception.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
To the best of my understanding binocular vision may or may not have an overlapping field of view. Stereoscopic is a subset of binocular vision where the fields of view definately overlap and give you depth perception.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
cows and sheep have their eyes on the side of their head and hence don't have as great an overlap in the field of view between the two eyes, so they don't have as much depth perception.

kow_dude

HSC
So the terms 'stereoscopic vision' and 'binocular vision' are different?

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
kimmeh said:
We have greater depth perception right? I vaguely remeber the teacher saying this but the textbook syas otherwise.

from hsc.csu: The images formed by each eye are superimposed by the brain, and because each view is slightly different, objects appear to have depth as well as height and breadth, that is we see in three dimensions. This is known as stereoscopic or binocular vision.

from textbook: they explain stereoscopic and binocular as two different sources of vision

can someone please clear this up ? this is dot point 3.2.6 btw :)
we can see in three dimensions or have depth perception because we have two eyes/image (stereoscopic vision). we have greater depth perception than many animals because they need greater peripheral vision and they have their eyes on the sides of their heads. depth perception works most effectively from the front of the head. both definitions are correct. we need stereoscopic/ two images for depth perception

S

Shuter

Also we have the ability to reason and cross check against a mental list of known shapes and sizes in our head.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)