Desperatley Need Help! No Tax File Number! (1 Viewer)

letoatreides

HSC
Hey,
I'm trying to apply for my uni but the form says I need a Tax File Number to continue, this would be fine but unfortunately I don't have a Tax File Number(because I'm an idiot). I've ordered one online but knowing the speed at which bureaucracies operate I'm scared out of my mind that it wont arrive in time.
So when does the uni stop accepting applications, will I have enough time and what happens if the poop hits the fan and I don't get it in time? Is there any way out of this mess?
Any help greatly appreciated.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
You have until the census date to submit your TFN.

Are you sure that you can't continue enrolment? You may have to contact the university tomorrow in this case.

loaves

HSC
Depending on how long ago you applied, you could try calling the ATO... When I needed a TFN quickly for a job, they said that they would give it to me over the phone if it took too long to arrive.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I'm pretty sure that you just enrol as normal, but say that you'll be paying upfront instead of getting HECs/HELP. Once you get your TFN you just change this option online. As above, you must do this by the census date, which is usually a couple of weeks into semester, so you still have quite a bit of time. I would definitely contact your university about this to be sure though.

kcqn93

HSC
Call the ATO. I called them up during my enrolment at USyd last year because I forgot all about it. They gave it to me over the phone.

r1ckyla

HSC
I haven't got a TFN either. What you do is select upfront payment, then print the request for commonwealth support and HEC-HELP summarry page out (this is just for backup). Then go into your nearest ATO, fill/ lodge your TFN application. Whilst doing this, request for HECS certificate, i think its called 'Certificate of application for a TFN' they ll basically give that to you on the spot but you need to tell them which uni your going to, student no. etc. You should be secure for HECS by doing this because worst case scenario is that you don't receive your TFN by the census date, you can show the this certificate as proof you have appllied and just quote your TFN once you receive it.

itszen

HSC
what happens if we forgot it or we cant the number we were given out? My tax file number sheet is locked away in the safe and the key is with my mum whom is overseas.... >_<

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
what happens if we forgot it or we cant the number we were given out? My tax file number sheet is locked away in the safe and the key is with my mum whom is overseas.... >_<
Contact the ATO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)