Did you choose the High School you now attend or did your Parents force it on you? (1 Viewer)

Did you choose the High School you now go to?

• Yes it was my choice

Votes: 35 70.0%
  • No my parents forced me to go to a particular school

Votes: 15 30.0%

• Total voters

Supaweak

HSC
?

Springing off from another topic.

Were YOU, the student, the child, allowed to choose the High School you now attend or do you now go to a High School that your parents forced you to go?

This doesn't count selective high schools and/or if you didn't get your application accepted by your first choice high school. If you managed to get the second choice which you had to fallback on then it counts as your choice.

So, in my opnion, I reckon most kids get to choose their high schools, not the parents. I know I chose my high school and my friends chose theres (even though some didn't get their first choice) and I've never encountered a situation where someone said 'Yeah my mums making me go to -this- high school'.

Edit : If your parents gave you a select range of high schools in which you weren't interested in in the first place but you were forced to choose between them, then i think it still counts as your Parents choice.

Last edited:

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
Re: Did you choose the High School you now attend or did your Parents force it on you

i chose my first one but my parents made me move from there and gave me a choice of like two schools, but they knew i'd choose the one where all my friends were.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Re: Did you choose the High School you now attend or did your Parents force it on you

I resent the fact that there are only two choices for this poll.

I was enrolled into Brigidine, PLC and Abbotsleigh. I got to choose between the three.

Supaweak

HSC

what other options should there be? something like 'I was forced to pick between a group of schools that i didnt want/select'? ill fix it up if you give me some other options

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC

what other options should there be? something like 'I was forced to pick between a group of schools that i didnt want/select'? ill fix it up if you give me some other options
How about "I had a choice between schools of my parents' selection"

untouchablecuz

HSC

i went to my local school; didn't apply for anywhere else

no parental involvement

Supaweak

HSC

lol it doesnt look like i have the option to edit polls unless someone points it out to me. anyways the situation of choosing between a select range of schools should still count as your parents choice i guess, unless you alreadu wanted to be a part of one of those choices offered by your parents.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

Choose my high school. One of the lowest ranked schools in my area (the local public school). Why? Because I did not care whether my school affected my marks, and was the school of majority of my friends. People place far to much emphasis on school selection, and on the final high school marks.

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A

i didn't choose the first or second school i went to. i really had no choice, and nor did my parents.

pratick

HSC

Well, my primary school and the highschool are the same...
so, i chose to go the primary school,

but when i wanted out in yr.10 from this highschool my mum wouldn't allow me =(

it sucked.

ashllis92

HSC

I chose both high schools I went to but HUGELY regret the second choice... I shouldn't have moved...

spammy679

MLIA
HSC

i chose but to the great objection of my parents

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC

Well, my primary school and the highschool are the same...
so, i chose to go the primary school,

but when i wanted out in yr.10 from this highschool my mum wouldn't allow me =(

it sucked.
i didn't want out and i was forced to go. i feel your pain =[.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC

I chose my school, against the wishes of my parents who wanted me to go a host of other schools XD

Last edited:

lychnobity

HSC

I got in and wanted to go to a different school, but for my parents' sake, I went to the local one.

Indirect pressure - does that count?

Supaweak

HSC

well if it ultimately beared down as YOUR choice but you picked that particular high school to keep your parents happy its still your choice i guess. I mean if i made it to selective (i didnt) i would of still preferred to go to the high school i go to now instead of my selective high school choices. However, i would still pick the selective high school for the sake of keeping my parents happy. So it would of still been my choice. hope i made sense?

lychnobity

HSC

well if it ultimately beared down as YOUR choice but you picked that particular high school to keep your parents happy its still your choice i guess. I mean if i made it to selective (i didnt) i would of still preferred to go to the high school i go to now instead of my selective high school choices. However, i would still pick the selective high school for the sake of keeping my parents happy. So it would of still been my choice. hope i made sense?
So by your standards, was it my choice or not?

Supaweak

HSC

lol not really your preference then is it?
Preference - more associated with what you want
Choice - Not as affiliated with what you actually 'want' (i know this is horribly explained but i hope you understand)

The question is not a matter of 'did you get your preference?'. Nope, its 'did you get to choose?" Your choice could mean that it had to be an unhappy one, but you were the one who made it, not your parents.

Shit now im confused.

Last edited:

Supaweak

HSC

So by your standards, was it my choice or not?
were your parents forcing you or just encouraging you to go to that particular school. Did you still have enough power to be adamant and say 'No, im definitely not going to that school' if you really wanted to? IF you didnt have that, then you ultimately didnt get to to be the one who chose, your parents did. But it sounds like you did it for the sake of keeping them happy -> that was your choice to keep them happy. SO, i guess it was your choice, for me, others might think otherwise

hope i made sense

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC

My parents forced me to go to my school but then they wanted to force me to go to another but by that time I got used to my old school and I refused to leave.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)