• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Difference between asian imports and Australian born asians (1 Viewer)

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
Hm my mum speaks cantonese and her family in malaysia called it taro over there. I call it yam at home. She doesn't speak malay but she also speaks tamil and a bit of hindi.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
I also dislike how people talk Chinese amongst themselves (or any other language for that matter) as I can't understand it. English is the national language in Australia.
nice troll

I'd say the accent and lack of fashion sense. From what I can tell, australian born asians usually dress better than their foreign counterparts

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A
All their hair clips are bedazled

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
Now that i think about it my mum has a chinese friend who she used to spend ever minute of every waking day with when she was still new to this country. Her friend lived her a long time. Maybe she picked taro up from her?

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Maybe she picked taro up from her?
Maybe, maybe not. Since it is invariably labled as "iaro" here, most would have picked it up.

Very unusual for a female in M'sia to pick up Tamil & Hindi. I think I have a vocab of some 200 Tamil words myself.

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
Maybe, maybe not. Since it is invariably labled as "iaro" here, most would have picked it up.

Very unusual for a female in M'sia to pick up Tamil & Hindi. I think I have a vocab of some 200 Tamil words myself.
shes 3/4 indian, 1/4 chinese.

Also, i did refer to it as yam after i asked people and they still did not compute. Most pastries and baked goods here with yam in them are called taro something in english. Like taro buns etc.

Last edited:

twistedrebel

HSC
foreigner guys die their and have super sayian go co hair. The chicks wear heels and look like some prostitute.

The local born ones wear more western style clothing/style

katoji

HSC
Wow, some of the people are so ignorant. Stop telling them to 'learn english' or to 'get out of their little groups'. Has it ever occurred to you that society doesn't make it that easy? What about those migrants who spend so much time working that they don't have the resources or time to learn english? And in school, I know why the international students stick together. They try to make friends with the others, but often can't because of the cultural gap; not that both parties are not polite, but they just can't get along that well.
If I'm in a new country, stuck in place with a langauage I don't know well - obviously I'm going to seek out someone who is like me because it's human nature to stick to those we can relate to the most.
I even go to school with lots of asians, and they show this hypocritical attitude - they have this prejudice against international students. It's shame, because I'm asian and I don't have this attitude at all. I mean, nobody else even makes the effort to talk to them. They alienate those overseas students.
Maybe some of you need to lay off with the insults...'fucking useless fobs'? To think that people older than me think like this.

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
No such language as azn. If your mum comes from Malaysia/Singapore, "Taro" is never used - people from that area use the English term "yam"; if she uses "taro", it was acquired here). in Malay word "keladi" is used, no local Asian (if Cantonese speaking ones) store assistants will understand since they don't understand Malay. Also most of them don't have a very strong English vocab.

Also sago (pronounced "sagoo" in M'sia) is not tapioca. Sago comes from the sago palm which is very different from the tapioca plant (very easy to grow them in tropical Asia: just stck a 20 cm length of its stem in the ground and before long, voila, you have a new tapioca plant sprouting out. During the Japanese occupation of Malaya/Singapore, there was a serious shortage of rice and other food. People had to resort to eating tapioca mainly.
Yes but i was after the tapioca pearls or sago pearls to make a dessert. It didn't matter which one i used and I didn't say they were the same thing.

Interestingly on their packets they were called either one in english characters. So assuming that the shop i go to is in the middle of a white tourist area with staff that are either fobs or abc its a little weird that they couldnt understand me.

Even in malaysia people who spoke english had trouble understanding me like my british educated relatives.

Last edited:

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
I think its cool to be multicultural.

Best of both worlds..

sinophile

HSC
N/A
One method is to look at the colour of their skin. Australian born ones usually have Cantonese heritage or maybe they're Vietnamese. These areas are sunnier than the rest of china, so they'll be darker. Also you can see whether they talk in mandarin inside their huge groups (imports), some speak english to white people (australian born)

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
I hate every culture basically. I like technology and science and I think our life should be based on this plus morals we have built. Other cultures are just basically old and haven't advanced, are not necessary and just limit the communication between every human.

Countries should teach their children the main languages of the world and they should not be subjected to cultures from childhood but rather have all this available (i just hope it dies down) for these young people to discover and like if they appreciate it or dislike.

Taking advantage of a child's development and bombard it with info that is bias and nonsense (evident in religion) is a bad way to advance a society.

So strictly speaking, I hate anyone who shows their fucking pride of their own heritage/background.
I basically hate you because you sound like a basement nerd with no real world experience other than raging at people on world of war craft.

twistedrebel

HSC
I hate every culture basically. I like technology and science and I think our life should be based on this plus morals we have built. Other cultures are just basically old and haven't advanced, are not necessary and just limit the communication between every human.

Countries should teach their children the main languages of the world and they should not be subjected to cultures from childhood but rather have all this available (i just hope it dies down) for these young people to discover and like if they appreciate it or dislike.

Taking advantage of a child's development and bombard it with info that is bias and nonsense (evident in religion) is a bad way to advance a society.

So strictly speaking, I hate anyone who shows their fucking pride of their own heritage/background.
get out of your basement?

Love technology? Do you put your dick in the usb port?

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
also lol @ being insecure enough to list a shitload of excuses for the atar in sig.. who gives a shit what people think about it, you don't need to prove anything to anyone except yourself

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
also lol @ being insecure enough to list a shitload of excuses for the atar in sig.. who gives a shit what people think about it, you don't need to prove anything to anyone except yourself
Lol, I think there was an argument some time ago on this.

rhaikath

HSC
Wow, some of the people are so ignorant. Stop telling them to 'learn english' or to 'get out of their little groups'. Has it ever occurred to you that society doesn't make it that easy? What about those migrants who spend so much time working that they don't have the resources or time to learn english? And in school, I know why the international students stick together. They try to make friends with the others, but often can't because of the cultural gap; not that both parties are not polite, but they just can't get along that well.
If I'm in a new country, stuck in place with a langauage I don't know well - obviously I'm going to seek out someone who is like me because it's human nature to stick to those we can relate to the most.
I even go to school with lots of asians, and they show this hypocritical attitude - they have this prejudice against international students. It's shame, because I'm asian and I don't have this attitude at all. I mean, nobody else even makes the effort to talk to them. They alienate those overseas students.
Maybe some of you need to lay off with the insults...'fucking useless fobs'? To think that people older than me think like this.
Good point.

I understand that it's hard when overseas students hang in their own group and stuff, and i'm not saying its our duty to outreach or try to break in their circle - it's just we have to be aware that we're not discriminating them because of their culture or background, but rather their actions. Hence if they're willing to be friends, why not say hi and be nice just as you would to anyone else rather than turning away because they're 'fobs' and have an accent?

So the mindset should be 'we dislike people who stay in their groups, be rude and ignore others' rather than 'we hate fobs and are going to turn around once we hear an accent'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)