Difference between Med and Adv Science for Medicine? (1 Viewer)

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
What is the difference between doing Medical Science and Advanced Science in uni in preparation for GAMSAT?
I've heard that Advanced Science is more versatile. What do you think?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Versatile in the sense that you can choose from a whole variety of majors from various fields of science (Chem, Biology, mathematics, earth sciences & medical science majors inclusive), whereas for Medical Science, you're restricted to only Medical Science majors where there are fewer options.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Versatile in the sense that you can choose from a whole variety of majors from various fields of science (Chem, Biology, mathematics, earth sciences & medical science majors inclusive), whereas for Medical Science, you're restricted to only Medical Science majors where there are fewer options.
ohh ok, do they equally assist with gamsat?

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
What is the difference between doing Medical Science and Advanced Science in uni in preparation for GAMSAT?
I think Advanced Sci is good for a number of students because:
A) you have more scope to do courses in the three sciences that are tested in GAMSAT
B) You have more variety to hopefully chose what will grant you the highest WAM/GPA (including those nice elective spots for nice units from other faculties)
C) More choice of majors so you could have a nice secondary path to follow if you don't enter medicine (or discover you love this science thing more anyway). Although I've never wanted to do medicine, I am doing Adv Sci and completely changed what I majored in when I took an elective science unit-a tale in how it is sometimes good to be more broad in your undergraduate studies. Unless if you don't get into medicine, you definitely want to do like physiology research or something. Or Biochem honours.

I know a lot of people that are med aspirants that switched to Adv Sci because it better suited them.

Also a uni like UWS has the 5 or 6 transfer spots for top Adv Sci candidates.

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
Given that you want to get into med, do it at uws - if you rank well within the cohort plus a somewhat decent umat (80 ish if you live in the west) - you can get in pretty smoothly

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
I think Advanced Sci is good for a number of students because:
A) you have more scope to do courses in the three sciences that are tested in GAMSAT
B) You have more variety to hopefully chose what will grant you the highest WAM/GPA (including those nice elective spots for nice units from other faculties)
C) More choice of majors so you could have a nice secondary path to follow if you don't enter medicine (or discover you love this science thing more anyway). Although I've never wanted to do medicine, I am doing Adv Sci and completely changed what I majored in when I took an elective science unit-a tale in how it is sometimes good to be more broad in your undergraduate studies. Unless if you don't get into medicine, you definitely want to do like physiology research or something. Or Biochem honours.

I know a lot of people that are med aspirants that switched to Adv Sci because it better suited them.

Also a uni like UWS has the 5 or 6 transfer spots for top Adv Sci candidates.
Thanks :) For the transfer part, what requirements do you have to fulfil to transfer?

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
are you absolutely sure? It is better than med or what ever degree that is; more career opportunities ;)
ahaha yeah soz. You sure about that? I thought Med is better for that, since economic conditions do not affect career opportunities for doctors, as they would for other occupations (finance, mining)

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
ahaha yeah soz. You sure about that? I thought Med is better for that, since economic conditions do not affect career opportunities for doctors, as they would for other occupations (finance, mining)
maybe? but what is more interesting -> sick people coughing on you all day or little robots fighting each other? ;)

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
are you absolutely sure? It is better than med or what ever degree that is; more career opportunities ;)
Engineering was once the top choice for most bright students, it definitely isn't anymore (not even in some developing countries). Career opportunities and progression aren't that great. Med gives you more opportunities, job security and earning potential. But my mates that do engo love it. Not one complaint so far.

and lol little robots fighting each other. Not everyone on bos is a LoL/anime category kid.

In terms of requirements. Someone from bos got in with 80 umat and I think 6.75 gpa (98.95 atar) couple of years ago. It shouldn't be too hard pull a 6.5 plus gpa at uws, I recall him saying quite a few had 7/7.

Last edited:

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
maybe? but what is more interesting -> sick people coughing on you all day or little robots fighting each other? ;)
Robots?? Lolzz, I think what attracts me to the Medicine field is the satisfaction gained from the job. (Ok I know you're gonna oppose with your limited faith in doctors). Not saying Engineering's bad, it's just suited to different people, but yes I see where you're coming from.

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
Robots?? Lolzz, I think what attracts me to the Medicine field is the satisfaction gained from the job. (Ok I know you're gonna oppose with your limited faith in doctors). Not saying Engineering's bad, it's just suited to different people, but yes I see where you're coming from.
fair enough but need more ladiz in engo.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Engineering was once the top choice for most bright students, it definitely isn't anymore (not even in some developing countries). Career opportunities and progression aren't that great. Med gives you more opportunities, job security and earning potential. But my mates that do engo love it. Not one complaint so far.

and lol little robots fighting each other. Not everyone on bos is a LoL/anime category kid.

In terms of requirements. Someone from bos got in with 80 umat and I think 6.75 gpa (98.95 atar) couple of years ago. It shouldn't be too hard pull a 6.5 plus gpa at uws, I recall him saying quite a few had 7/7.
Is that what it equates to? shettttt I feel good now
fair enough but need more ladiz in engo.
lol stop trying to reel in vulnerable girls

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)