Differences in Rankings (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Hey, I just got my results back for mx1 and I am behind this person by under 0.1% overall. Would this be sent to the BOS as second or do they round it up if your within 0.1% of the next student?

iBibah

HSC
I've been told marks are sent to two decimal places, so it should show as second.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Marks are sent in as whole numbers only.

It is up to each school to decide whether or not to differentiate in ranks when two students are that close. Some will send the two marks in as the same while others will separate.

HSC
N/A
Marks are sent in as whole numbers only.

It is up to each school to decide whether or not to differentiate in ranks when two students are that close. Some will send the two marks in as the same while others will separate.
How did you find out about this?

NFmusic1995

HSC
they will round it up/down to the nearest number

i.e if you are on 91.2 you will be rounded down to 91, and if on 91.6 , rounded up to 92.

This issue happened with me. Im on 91.3 for business and the guy ahead is on 91.5

he gets rounded up and i get rounded down, so bullshit

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC

i.e if you are on 91.2 you will be rounded down to 91, and if on 91.6 , rounded up to 92.

This issue happened with me. Im on 91.3 for business and the guy ahead is on 91.5

srs

ocatal

HSC

Yep this is what I heard..

NFmusic1995

HSC
yep hes 2nd for business and im 3rd, i feel stupid i helped him with 1mark in the trials he asked after the exam, i could of been equal 2nd out of 79 students -.-

trying to get an extra mark though LOL to round up with him

Renegader

HSC
I'm on 91.45 for business and the guy is on 91.65. Does that mean both our marks get rounded up to 92? (assuming marks round up to 91.5 and 91.7 respectively, do we end up with the same mark of 92?)

Last edited:

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Usually if the marks are quite close, as in 0.1%, teachers may take place the person who did better (as in significant) in the trial, as the end hsc result will be more favourable.

I'm 0.08% ahead of 6th in mx1. I'm 0.1% behind of 3rd in mx2

HSC
N/A
Usually if the marks are quite close, as in 0.1%, teachers may take place the person who did better (as in significant) in the trial, as the end hsc result will be more favourable.

I'm 0.08% ahead of 6th in mx1. I'm 0.1% behind of 3rd in mx2
I beat him by .5/70 in the trial, so I dont think our trial mark would make that much of a difference as it is still very close

ResourcesHSC

HSC
The person behind me in English (I was first) was something ridiculously small like 0.3% but he was pushed to the lower mark due to decimal places!

Makematics

HSC
Lol thx guise this is very comforting knowledge :) apparently at my school they round off the mark, then halve it, round it off again, then double it again for 4u ppl. This supposedly makes it fairer for 2/3u students
This is hypothetical.
Example 1: Someone does 2/3u gets 78.76 course mark ---> rounds off to 79 ----> is halved to 39.5 ----> rounds off to 40. So school sends in a 40/50 for this person
Example 2: Someone does 3/4u gets 85.13 course mark ---> rounds off to 85 ---> is halved to 42.5 ---> rounds off to 43 ----> doubles to 86. So school sends in 86/100 for this person

I know, it is fked up. This is from what ive heard btw, not ENTIRELY sure it is true

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Its not entirely good, if your school sends in high school marks to the the BoS. Coz if u perform bad in the hsc, ur school mark will get scaled down.

iBibah

HSC
Its not entirely good, if your school sends in high school marks to the the BoS. Coz if u perform bad in the hsc, ur school mark will get scaled down.
It doesn't matter what the mark is (high or low) it will be adjusted accordingly. It's not worse to have it higher than lower.

ResourcesHSC

HSC
It doesn't matter what the mark is (high or low) it will be adjusted accordingly. It's not worse to have it higher than lower.
This is true. The "raw" mark is very insignificant to the Board of Studies in its value, but is only significant in the students ranking in their cohort. The final HSC exam equalises the state and marks get moderated on this basis. A 99 could be a 50 or a 90, moderation does anything.

Makematics

HSC
Does the internal difference in marks matter? I.e. if first is on 78,is there a difference if second is on 77 or 65??? As in does the board use jsmust the rankings or does it also take into account how much people beat each other by internally

D94

HSC
N/A
Does the internal difference in marks matter? I.e. if first is on 78,is there a difference if second is on 77 or 65??? As in does the board use jsmust the rankings or does it also take into account how much people beat each other by internally
Differences in school marks are very important. The relative gaps between students is one of the factors to determine the moderated assessment marks.

They never use rankings to determine your moderated assessment mark, except first and last, but one could argue they are merely looking at the highest and lowest marks, and ordering the rest, rather than ranking them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)