• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Difficulty in getting a High B5 - Low B6 In Advance? (1 Viewer)

cs01001

HSC
How hard is it?

How do you go about achieving it?

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Know your texts well, know how to write a good essay, know how to write different text types etc etc.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Learn a plethora of language and visual techniques, and know how to apply them to a wide variety of texts.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Advanced English is one of those subjects where you're able to bullshit your way through it if you know how to memorise a bunch of language techniques and somehow adapt them to the question.

Real English = Extension English.

cccclaire

HSC
Is it true that most people write and memorise their essays for the HSC tests and just go in there and write them out?

Telekinetik

ça m'a fait du bien
HSC
cccclaire said:
Is it true that most people write and memorise their essays for the HSC tests and just go in there and write them out?
I think people make generic essays, and then they mold the essay to suit the question posed in the HSC.

williamc

HSC
cccclaire said:
The BOS doesn't endorse pre written essays that dont answer the question directly.(generic essays) Although, adapting your pre written essay (generic) to the question, is what most peopel do.

ellen.louise

HSC
cccclaire said:
That will get you a band 4. If you want to high bands you need to learn the techniques and other information, then you need to develop a srong thesis based on the question you get in the exam, which you will support using your texts. To get a band 6 you develop a convincing, structured and sophisticated argument which you follow through to the conclusion.

cfair

Banned
HSC
ellen.louise said:
That will get you a band 4. If you want to high bands you need to learn the techniques and other information, then you need to develop a srong thesis based on the question you get in the exam, which you will support using your texts. To get a band 6 you develop a convincing, structured and sophisticated argument which you follow through to the conclusion.
It would probably get you a band 5 at least, but it depends on how well you adapt it.

Otherwise you hit the nail on the head.

cs01001

HSC
Techniques and flair/flaire as in ... ?

cccclaire

HSC
The thing is, i would prefer to write it before and memorise it because otherwise I don't write enough because I spend way too much time thinking of what to write.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
But who'd create an essay beforehand and re-write it entirely (without adapting it) if it doesnt even answer the exam question? :confused:

cccclaire

HSC
Kujah said:
But who'd create an essay beforehand and re-write it entirely (without adapting it) if it doesnt even answer the exam question? :confused:
well you wouldn't do that obviously.

but then, isn't it (relatively) easy to predict what the question will be?

cfair

Banned
HSC
I guess you'd write it about all the techniques it uses and what each of them conveys? That way you'd be able to mould those into your answer at least.

cs01001

HSC
Guess not, gotta practice a lot of to cover all the possibilities.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
cccclaire said:
Thats what i've heard. They memorise a set story, then adapt that story to the stimulus. Its a damn good idea, if i say so myself.

LottoX said:
You do realise that that's still possible with Ext. English
Its a lot harder though, and it requires a different approach to Advanced English.

Last edited by a moderator:

cfair

Banned
HSC
When you guys do essays, do you write up a plan?

I jot down little ideas and stuff I quickly memorised before I walked into the exam building before I forget, but that's about it.

cccclaire

HSC
cfair said:
When you guys do essays, do you write up a plan?

I jot down little ideas and stuff I quickly memorised before I walked into the exam building before I forget, but that's about it.
I always make plans.
Otherwise there's no structure to my essay and I just waffle on about anything.
I think it also helps you to get all your points down in time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)