Dip Ed (1 Viewer)

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Hi folks.

It's been a long time since I've posted here AND it feels like ages since I left high school. Eight years, yikes.

Some of you may remember me, some of you might not, but since I left school and these forums I've completed a Diploma of Journalism and Bachelor of Arts majoring in Communications through Macleay College and Southern Cross University. I've worked in the media industry but after two years realized I hated my job and wanted to do something more fulfilling. For the past two and a half years I've been working at a high school in Sydney's inner west as a teacher's aide, mainly in the areas of English and History. I took this on full-time this year as I no longer live at home and cannot be without a job to support myself.

However, I do not want to be a teacher's aide (as much as I love it) for the rest of my life and I do want to take up full-time high school teaching. I'm looking at returning to university to complete my Dip Ed but I have no idea where to start, which universities to consider, what I'll need to do etc...if anyone has done something similar (that is, gone back to university later in life), I'd be grateful for any advice and direction you can give me!

Loz :smile:

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
The first thing you need to work out is whether your majors from the B Journalism/B Arts qualify you to teach any high school subjects. The NSW Institute of Teachers has fairly strict requirements of what your major sequence must include to qualify you to teach any subject, e.g. certain number of "English" courses at 1st, 2nd, 3rd year level.

Read everything here: http://www.nswteachers.nsw.edu.au/Teaching-in-NSW/

Next, you might be looking at a 2 year "Master of Education/Teaching" these days as a lot of unis are phasing out DipEds.

Good luck! Also I thought I was the oldest here at 6 years out, lol.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
Bold is the stuff that applies to you

b) Qualifications to teach in a Secondary school (Years 7-12) - all subject areas

To be eligible for accreditation to teach in a NSW government or non-government secondary school you require:

EITHER a 4 year undergraduate integrated professional qualification incorporating discipline knowledge studies in a designated area related to a school subject, eg Bachelor of Education (Secondary), OR an undergraduate combined or double degree providing relevant discipline knowledge in a designated area related to a school subject, and professional studies, eg Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Education (Secondary).
Prerequisites for admission: Higher School Certificate English minimum Band 4 (Standard English, English as a Second Language or Advanced English).

OR a degree AND a graduate initial teacher education qualification of at least one year, eg Master of Teaching (Secondary), Bachelor of Teaching (Secondary), Graduate Diploma of Education (Secondary).
Prerequisites for admission: undergraduate (and appropriate postgraduate) studies must include study in a designated area related to a school subject, as follows:

- First teaching area requires a minimum of 6 sequential semester-long units of discipline knowledge in a designated area (equivalent to a minimum of three academic years of study in the designated area), and at least 4 of these units at level 2 (year 2) or above;

- Second teaching area, if studied, requires 4 units with 2 units at level 2 or above.

The first teaching area determines the first pedagogy/methodology study to be undertaken in the graduate entry initial teacher education program.

When seeking admission to a graduate entry initial teacher education program you must meet the NSW Institute of Teachers’ subject content requirements either prior to admission or before graduation.

You may complete a self assessment of relevant areas of academic study that meet subject content requirements. See Subject Content Requirements (abridged).

The University to which you seek admission has responsibility for determining whether you meet the Institute’s subject content requirements in your undergraduate and appropriate postgraduate degree/s.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)