Diploma in Law (1 Viewer)

Jonathan A

HSC
Just thought I would remind people that they can do the Diploma in Law from the Legal Practitioners Admission Board. Whilst there is speculation that its not good enough (i.e. just a Diploma), I believe its perhaps just as challenging.

My lecturers are law academics from a range of universities, from authors of prominent law books, through to practicing barristers who have attained qualifications from around the world.

The Diploma is difficult, with high failure rates. This is because assessment is based on a final exam, rather than part assessment with assignments as with universities. I have spoke to a wide range of people in the profession, many of the top-notch law graduates tend to have also cheated in their assessments. I have heard some even have the help from the lawyers they work for writing up assignments. You can't do this in the DipLaw.

santaslayer

HSC
Asquithian said:
1. Some of our courses are exam only...ie 10 % class participation...90% exam. Even if there is an assignment the exam is still worth 60%.

2. Law teachers are not stupid people. They have a bullshit detector plus many of the lawyers today would be out of touch with what is being tought in law schools at the moment.

3. Ive never encountered anyone who has cheated on an assessment mainly because you cant really cheat in a law assessment? Other than plagerise and well if you plagerise or copy someone else you wont know your stuff for the final exam and you will fail anyways...
Yeah actually I''ve never been able to cheat in a LLB exam. Cheating is more time consuming then actually knowing the material first hand. :p The best you could do is collaborate in an assessment task/take home exam I guess. :p

adamj does the LPAB course. :uhhuh:

EDIT:

Actually, you sound like adamj, are you adamJ. :confused:

Last edited:

Jonathan A

HSC
Who else would reply to this??? LOL

Look I will be first to admit that a great bulk of law students are smart people advancing through the hard work and commitment, and this goes toward people like Asquithian and santaslayer. Because the DipLaw course has many paralegals and clerks studying, I have been told that some LLB students do cheat in assignments and so do DipLaw students, but it doesn't mean anything in DipLaw. I am aware of assessment for LLB/Law subjects, as I am doing a series of Law subjects in SoSc degree, inlcuding Criminal Law and Commercial sub-majors.

yes it is Adamj.

Jonathan A

HSC
Hey mate.

It's been a while and I couldn't bother retrieving the password so I set another account up.

Good to be back!

Ribbon

Jonathan A said:
The Diploma is difficult, with high failure rates. This is because assessment is based on a final exam, rather than part assessment with assignments as with universities. I have spoke to a wide range of people in the profession, many of the top-notch law graduates tend to have also cheated in their assessments. I have heard some even have the help from the lawyers they work for writing up assignments. You can't do this in the DipLaw.
I think you'll find that at most unis even if the sum of all your marks equals a pass, you cannot pass unless you get 50%/whatever pass mark is on the final exam.

we have open book exams at anu so nobody needs to cheat :D

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Paralegal = a person who didn't get the marks for law and was lazy enough to do a 26 week course = toady for a real lawyer = poor

Learnt that at career search :D

addz

HSC
paralegal does all the secretarial things as well other legal roles such as legal research, litigation support, document management, trial preparation and support. prolly dont get paid as much...that's prolly the major difference as well as legal activities they can and cant do

santaslayer

HSC
A paralegal can essentially become richer than a normal solicoter if you work for a sooper dooper QC. :uhhuh:...:uhhuh:...

theone123

blue essence
HSC
Jonathon is a very smart dude, his in my tute, answers all q's from tutor exceptionally well, i do support his motive :p

PS. Jon, how come u dont do B Laws?

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Thanks to those people who answered my question:). I have one more though. What is the difference between a Lawyer, Solicitor and Barrister and what extra qualifications do you need to become a Queens Council:confused:? Thanks:).

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
A lawyer is like a common name for both solicitors and barristers... solicitors dun usually do work in court and do areas like property, contracts etc... they also have not taken the bar exam... solicitors work in firms and r partners...however barristers work in court...have taken the bar exam and have done special pratica; legal training...i think u need to be a barrister to b part of the QC which is now known as the SC (senoir council)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
melsc said:
A lawyer is like a common name for both solicitors and barristers... solicitors dun usually do work in court and do areas like property, contracts etc... they also have not taken the bar exam... solicitors work in firms and r partners...however barristers work in court...have taken the bar exam and have done special pratica; legal training...i think u need to be a barrister to b part of the QC which is now known as the SC (senoir council)
Thanks, and by the way, what is the BAR exam:)?

santaslayer

HSC
Merethrond said:
Thanks, and by the way, what is the BAR exam:)?
Advocacy/Court procedure exam. Barristers work for themselves. It is intended that you seek solicoter advice in the first instance, if you need further help, the solicoter will usually hook you up with the appropriate barrister. :)

Ribbon

It depends on which state your in. There are two types of structures of the legal profession - IN NSW< QLD & VIC it is a divided structure - where there are seperate roles for solicitors and barristers, as someone said above a solicitor mainly deals with the client and then hires/breifs the barrister to appear in court. Barristers have to take a special exam, and after being a barister for 7 or 8 years they can apply to become a queens council or a senior counsel ( as somebody already said - same thing, but different title because we are moving away from the whole monarchy thing). Baristers are supposed to be independant with thier highest duty to the court so they are only allowed to operate in sole practice. You can be a solicitor or a barrister but not both.

The other type of structure is fused, where you can be both a solicitor and barrister (ACT, WA) or where the distinction has been thrown out the window and everybody is just a legal practitioner (SA, Tas, NT).

Can you tell I did a lecture on this 3 weeks ago?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)