Discipline and abuse... (1 Viewer)

Miz Janani

HSC
To what extent do YOU think (and what is it actually) discipline is allowed in regards to parents anc children?

From memory, i think parents are allowed to slap their child anywhere below the waist. Is this correct?

Discuss.

lychnobity

HSC
It's anywhere below the shoulder actually.

Discipline becomes abuse when it is uncalled for and excessive.

Excessive in this instance being a force that can cause bruising (or more) or permanent damage. I don't support parents using sharp objects, or throwing things either.

likingtherain

HSC
N/A
Dad used to use the belt on us, but I think it was more a treat than carrying through with it.

louy

HSC
N/A
when I was growing up, I regularly got the chop stick, belt, a feather duster, and flip flop across my hand or bum.

what doesnt kill me only makes me stronger I guess

klaris

HSC
^^ Ouch. Well I rarely got smacked when I was a kid, because the threat was enough. I was never smacked with anything because I never did anything bad enough. Even now I'm not rebellious in anyway. If in the rare occurance that I did get smacked it was a quick slap on the butt.

louy

HSC
N/A
^^ Ouch. Well I rarely got smacked when I was a kid, because the threat was enough. I was never smacked with anything because I never did anything bad enough. Even now I'm not rebellious in anyway. If in the rare occurance that I did get smacked it was a quick slap on the butt.
I must of been a very very bad and rebellious kid then

Marmalade.

HSC
N/A
Violence against children is wrong. Only weak, stupid parents discipline their children with violence.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
save your kids the pain and kill them if you hit them for any reason
because you dont deserve to have a child

you hit your children when they are naughty and you feel like they deserve it.
when someone hits your child when he has done nothing you should feel like they deserve it.

Violence against children is wrong. Only weak, stupid parents discipline their children with violence.
Exactly,
How about instead of smacking my nephews and nieces,
How about:
I point my loaded Remington M870 shotgun to their head and pull the trigger?

Children should not be abused in any way, not even for discipline, no smacking no hitting.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
I got the good old hand slap on the leg, the wooden spoon, the occasional beltstrap. I turned out just fine.

You shouldn't rely on physical discipline IMO but if nothing else is working, sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.

Edit: also if the kid is in immediate danger it can be ok, I remember mum yanking me away from one of those red glowing heaters when I was about a cm from sticking my hands in it, and smacking me so hard I never forgot it and never went near one again. (I was one of those kids that just kept on trying to do shit until my fatal curiosity was satisfied so yeah)

Uncle

Banned
HSC
You do not hit your child.
Only stupid parents do this.

Your child stole dozens of biscuits from the pantry,
you make your child admit it.
What the fuck does a retarded parent do?
Smack them.

That sends a message to the child to lie more often and never admit their wrongdoings.
What a fucktard of a parent.

The smarter parent would at least advise them not to do it, or outwit the child.
Steal what they have, or otherwise track them down and catch them red handed using clues such as crumbs and so on, and NOT hit them.

Andrei01

HSC
stealing back from the child is far worse. Sends the message thats this is the right thing to do.

In regards to the OP, im unsure. I can see why i child might need a smack if they put themselves in physical danger. But at the same time it can encourage violence. hmmm

gcchick

Come at me bro
HSC
Uni Grad
I was a smartarse when I was a kid (only got worse, methinks) and was frequently punished with the rolled-up newspaper across the backside.

I don't support smacking unless it is completely necessary and nothing else has worked.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
I was a smartarse when I was a kid (only got worse, methinks) and was frequently punished with the rolled-up newspaper across the backside.

I don't support smacking unless it is completely necessary and nothing else has worked.
Exactly, it isn't the best way to get a message across but if you have to, then you have to. Like with my heater example. Would I rather have been smacked away, or had the skin on both my hands burnt off, hmm, I wonder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)