'DISCOVERY' related texts (1 Viewer)

jazzyjay_97

HSC
N/A
Oh! and the author of 'Narrow Road to the Deep North' (cant remember his name...) just won the Man Booker Prize 2014 so I might check that out. I saw a free sample of the text somewhere online... Will have a look and post it later! :read:

CanU_Not

HSC
Look at the RUBRIC for Discovery (After the 24th I'll be looking at the discovery rubric/perscribed texts and offering my suggestions for related texts)

You should be able to draw links between perscribed, and related text
You should have different forms of discovery, i.e self, world etc (Whatever it says in the RUBRIC)

The related text doesn't have to win any prizes, you can do movies, picture etc..
Woah thanks Blitz :)
Whats the significance of the 24th? I thought the syllabus was already out lol

conorrr

HSC
I'm thinking of doing Silver Linings Playbook.
Has anyone seen the movie? If so, do you think it would be a strong text for discovery, specifically self discovery?

Aziizaa

HSC
hey,

does anyone have any novels, ads, newspaper articles, poems etc. about discovery. Any type of discovery (personal,spiritual etc.)

thanks
Maybe you can try the movie or book Divergent?
also, a good poem might be 'The Road Not Taken' by Robert Frost.
I always avoided using poetry as a related text, because it's a very simple text type and ... well I don't know, but my advanced English teacher told me to avoid them :p But if you're comfortable with them then by all means try it out!

Discovery sounds interesting. :) You guys can do so much with that AOS!

Aziizaa

HSC
ALSO

A movie I once watched that might be awesome as a related text ...

It's called "A Beautiful Mind" (starring Russell Crowe). I think it's very fitting to the AOS. :)

Then again I haven't checked out the rubric - so you guys should be the judge.

essayqueen

HSC
N/A
ALSO

A movie I once watched that might be awesome as a related text ...

It's called "A Beautiful Mind" (starring Russell Crowe). I think it's very fitting to the AOS. :)

Then again I haven't checked out the rubric - so you guys should be the judge.

Unfortunately you CANNOT use 'A Beautiful Mind' [film directed by Ron Howard] as a related text as it is a prescribed text for Standard English Module B 'Close Study of Text' :(

Aziizaa

HSC
Unfortunately you CANNOT use 'A Beautiful Mind' [film directed by Ron Howard] as a related text as it is a prescribed text for Standard English Module B 'Close Study of Text' :(
Oh no way! Well at least it's being used somewhere, it definitely deserves recognition.

breitil

HSC
Maybe take a look at the related texts for the Journey AOS and change the text to fit with your thesis and ideas on Discovery. In any case, all the AOS for the past years have been exactly the same, but with different words. Belonging, Change, Journey. They're all connected.

http://www.e-rudite.net/aosresources.htm

^ this one has a lot of related texts for Journeys and you'll notice they have aspects of Discovery

Jae_bacon

HSC
Can someone help me suggest a related text that i can use for both advanced and extension?
For extension we're doing romanticism so some discovery text around that time would be great.
Thinking of doing maybe a poem by coleridge or wordsworth

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Can someone help me suggest a related text that i can use for both advanced and extension?
For extension we're doing romanticism so some discovery text around that time would be great.
Thinking of doing maybe a poem by coleridge or wordsworth

* The Rime of the Ancient Mariner Samuel Taylor Coleridge ?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
but considering we will be the first to be tested without any prior resources or essays to look at, BOS might marks a bit easier.
BOS doesn't mark easier for a new AOS, as a previous poster has said, the question will be easier, the marking standards will be still high because there is a marking criteria to adhere to, fundamentally, it is always going to be about whether and how closely you have answered the given question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)