Distinction Courses~?? (1 Viewer)

imnotwallace

HSC
Hey, anyone know the skinny on Distinction Courses?

I heard at one point they were going to axe the entire scheme but if its still on then does anyone know anything about Philosophy? If I get an opportunity to get into a Distinction Course then does anyone know what Philosophy is like?

Tangent

HSC
Yeah, i have been trying to look into this too. Its a one year course, and you have to have completed an accelerated course before hand. You marks have to be in tip top shape etc. The courses are run outtt new england uni......

I have no idea what i just say means, but thats what the guide says.

If noone knows by tomorrow arvo, hopefully my physics teacher will know more about it. I post what he says here.

BUMPS

Tangent

HSC
Nup, doesnt seem anyone knows anything about this. I read the booklet online, and i seem to know more about it than any of the teachers at my school. Y-Y

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
It's very likely that the course will be cancelled.

However, don't give ur hopes up!

BTW, I am doing Cosmology and I reckon it is incredibly incredibly time-consuming and hard (sometimes). I reckon same story for Philosophy :S

Don't do it if ur are a weak person. Out of 34 people who initially started, 11-12 people already dropped.

jet

Banned
HSC
Well, I can tell you that at the second Cosmology residential, our Coordinator had no idea either. He only said that they are planning on axing, but the Board of Studies was going to propose something to replace it (This is the ACTUAL board of studies, not the office of the board which does all admin etc.).

So right now, you are exactly correct in what you're saying.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Well, I can tell you that at the second Cosmology residential, our Coordinator had no idea either. He only said that they are planning on axing, but the Board of Studies was going to propose something to replace it (This is the ACTUAL board of studies, not the office of the board which does all admin etc.).

So right now, you are exactly correct in what you're saying.
Welll if I were the Board, I would seriously amend the program so that less people drop it. At this rate seriously...

jet

Banned
HSC
Yeah, have you heard if anyone else has dropped? I still haven't started my major project... Music practicals are on wednesday.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Keep your ears + eyes open. You never know whether they decide to continue the distinction courses. From my own experience, it's absolutely fantastic! You make many friends and some of them do become pretty good friends. Oh that's the best thing...>.<

Tangent

HSC
Contacted the board of studies, they will be out in the next week or so, if not now. Have to have done an accelerated course, and the distinction course can be taken in the HSC.

jet

Banned
HSC
Lol - the hardest thing about cosmology is finding the motivation. I just started the major project today!!!
Due in a week from tomorrow.

iMAN2

HSC
N/A
Hi,

I did the Philosophy Distinction Course in 2009. I can still remember we were having a presentation assembly and I recieved a call on my mobile phone. A lady asked, would you like to accept an offer and I was like......YESSS!!! LOL Of course id accept!

The experience was amazing. We made heaps of friends (and we're still in contact with each other over msn, coming from schools all over NSW). The residentials were great: table tennis, an awsome poker game [which I nearlyy won! came second =) ] and decent food. But the different learning style was surely a breath of fresh air with lectures and tutorials, much different from the style of the typical HSC subjects.

Philosophy is not about sitting amongst nature and just pondering about... stuff... lol its about using pre-existing and your own insights to formulate an arguement for or against a question. It's about technique and not contradicting yourself and having a logical arguement which furthers your point and highlights flaws in the oppositions.

If you want more information regarding Philosophy, how it works, main subjects, course, work load etc feel free to give me an email and I'll love to explain it all to you ^^

Last edited:

heirware

HSC
Yeah they've removed Cosmology from 2010 distinction course lineup..
Garh. Which means they probably won't run for my (2011) year =(.

Residentials sure sounded fun

stefgi32

Meh
HSC
N/A
Yeah, i have been trying to look into this too. Its a one year course, and you have to have completed an accelerated course before hand. You marks have to be in tip top shape etc. The courses are run outtt new england uni......

I have no idea what i just say means, but thats what the guide says.

If noone knows by tomorrow arvo, hopefully my physics teacher will know more about it. I post what he says here.

BUMPS
What is an accelerated course?

jet

Banned
HSC
One which you complete faster than the rest of your year. Generally gifted and talented students complete a course a year ahead of everyone else by accelerating.

derrida

Old Hack
HSC
BTW, I am a university student who is in 3rd year going into 4th year philosophy and I have received several HDs in philosophy, (max. allowed to receive HDs is 5%). If anyone is after help with essays, or has any questions I am willing to help out for $30/hour. I will not write your essays, just point out what can be improved, etc in your argument.

Take this offer while you can, cause post-honours students generally tutor undergraduate students.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)