Do I Pursue Vietnamese In Year 11? Help (1 Viewer)

okamipurru

HSC
Here's my context:
Next year I'm studying: Exten math, physic, chem, adv eng, sor 1 (catholic school), and legal. But I intend on dropping legal and replacing it with Vietnamese Saturday School.

I've already overcome all the problems surrounding the Viet occupying my Saturdays for year 11 and 12 etc. My problem is that If I do do Vietnamese, it'll be continuers. There is no beginners course. And, while I am native, I can't read and write to a moderate extent. I can read basic things, and am comfortable with the alphabet but am still kind-of lacking. I can understand and speak well but it's broken. My vocabulary is lacking in some areas too but I overall can hold a stable conversation. Both of my parents are fluent as well.

Would I be competent enough for the course? I know I have the resources to guide me, but I'm just worried that right away the course would be overwhelming.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Can you do a competency test somewhere? Might have to pay for it. Universities or language schools may possibly offer it.

MONONYMOUS

HSC
Here's my context:
Next year I'm studying: Exten math, physic, chem, adv eng, sor 1 (catholic school), and legal. But I intend on dropping legal and replacing it with Vietnamese Saturday School.

I've already overcome all the problems surrounding the Viet occupying my Saturdays for year 11 and 12 etc. My problem is that If I do do Vietnamese, it'll be continuers. There is no beginners course. And, while I am native, I can't read and write to a moderate extent. I can read basic things, and am comfortable with the alphabet but am still kind-of lacking. I can understand and speak well but it's broken. My vocabulary is lacking in some areas too but I overall can hold a stable conversation. Both of my parents are fluent as well.

Would I be competent enough for the course? I know I have the resources to guide me, but I'm just worried that right away the course would be overwhelming.
Try doing one of the Vietnamese Continuers HSC exams. I did Croatian Continuers and it wasn't too advanced.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)