do i understand scaling? (1 Viewer)

HSC
this is to do with scaling. i'm gonna explain everything i know of scaling n i want u guys to check if i know everything.

i sit for the hsc exams. i've topped every subject in my school. i get the top mark in all my HSC exams. the exam marks get marked. i score 85 in one of my exams but the cut off for 90 in that subject is 85 so its aligned to 90. my internal marks get moderated. i got 95 in a subject but only get 85 in that suubject in the external so that my internal mark is bought down. my hsc mark is then calculated for each subject. the hsc mark is then scaled n then my aggregate is calculated. then my uai is made.

k so is that riught or am i missing something? does standard deviation have something to do with scaling ur hsc mark?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
digimonstudent said:
this is to do with scaling. i'm gonna explain everything i know of scaling n i want u guys to check if i know everything.

i sit for the hsc exams. i've topped every subject in my school. i get the top mark in all my HSC exams. the exam marks get marked. i score 85 in one of my exams but the cut off for 90 in that subject is 85 so its aligned to 90. my internal marks get moderated. i got 95 in a subject but only get 85 in that suubject in the external so that my internal mark is bought down. my hsc mark is then calculated for each subject. the hsc mark is then scaled n then my aggregate is calculated. then my uai is made.

k so is that riught or am i missing something? does standard deviation have something to do with scaling ur hsc mark?
Um, no.

Your understanding is flawed.

You do HSC, then markers come together and determine the aligning procedure for the raw marks.

So if they determine 86-88 raw to be 94 aligned, and if you actually get 86-88 raw, you will get 94 aligned mark.

BTW, that's not scaling at all...that's aligning.

Then for scaling, they look at the overall calibre of the students doing the course then they determine the scaling.

HSC
lyounamu said:
Um, no.

You do HSC, then markers come together and determine the aligning procedure for the raw marks.

So if they determine 86-88 raw to be 94 aligned, and if you actually get 86-88 raw, you will get 94 aligned mark.

Then for scaling, they look at the overall calibre of the students doing the course then they determine the scaling.
i feel like leaving this site now.

HSC
lyounamu said:
Um, no.

so do they determine a raw number for evey aligned mark?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
digimonstudent said:
so do they determine a raw number for evey aligned mark?
I don't know. I think it depends on the difficulty of the paper, number of people sitting on similar results (raw results, that is), general performance of students, standard deviation and etc.

Ask the professionals.

dp624

HSC
lol fail @ understanding.
But yea, each raw mark has a corresponding aligned mark. Some raw marks can align to the same aligned mark.
Like 109 and 110 /120 in 2u might both go to, say 97.

But they're scaled differently. Scaling determines your performance on an even scale to all other candiatures of each course.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
dp624 said:
lol fail @ understanding.
But yea, each raw mark has a corresponding aligned mark. Some raw marks can align to the same aligned mark.
Like 109 and 110 /120 in 2u might both go to, say 97.

But they're scaled differently. Scaling determines your performance on an even scale to all other candiatures of each course.
is ur hsc mark made out of ur raw exam marks n moderated marks/ or is it the other way around?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Dragonmaster262 said:
is ur hsc mark made out of ur raw exam marks n moderated marks/ or is it the other way around?
Your "HSC mark" is a moderated mark.

dp624

HSC
Your external mark is aligned
Your internal mark is moderated with respect to the external marks of the cohort
Your HSC mark is the average of those two, rounded up (though I think the 0.5s might matter somehow)

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
dp624 said:
Your external mark is aligned
Your internal mark is moderated with respect to the external marks of the cohort
Your HSC mark is the average of those two, rounded up (though I think the 0.5s might matter somehow)
the BOS does reveal raw band cut offs doesn't it?

dp624

HSC
Dragonmaster262 said:
the BOS does reveal raw band cut offs doesn't it?
Not for the past few years it hasnt

dp624

HSC
Dragonmaster262 said:
Well do we get any clue to what the cut offs are now? Or do we all have to guess it?
Must guess lawl

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Dragonmaster262 said:
Well do we get any clue to what the cut offs are now? Or do we all have to guess it?
Well you can make some educated guesses, I reckon.

I mean, my mate reckons he got 70% in 3 unit and he got 45 or thereaout in 3 unit.

dp624

HSC
I find that I can't rely on "mate" guesses haha unless they are actually good at guessing. I'd never try to fathom the mind of examiners haha. Like there might be marks which are simply silly mistakes and you can't account for that. or maybe you feel you didnt do so good and underestimate yourself

That's why, request scripts and self mark ftw

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
I find that I can't rely on "mate" guesses haha unless they are actually good at guessing. I'd never try to fathom the mind of examiners haha. Like there might be marks which are simply silly mistakes and you can't account for that. or maybe you feel you didnt do so good and underestimate yourself

That's why, request scripts and self mark ftw
Yeah, but self-mark should really only work for subjects like sciecnces and maths really. Even for science, self-mark can be extremely inaccurate, haha.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
dp624 said:
Must guess lawl
By lawl do u mean lol?

I've been reading a couple of other threads you seem to know a lot about which raw mark corresponds to an aligned mark. If you don't mind me asking: how do you know?

dp624

HSC
lawl = lol

and i 'guess' stuff. i think there's a lot of inherent accuracy, but hey, a guess is better than no info so yea

dp624

HSC
I can't write, but i can guess?
3u math; 60~
2u i don;t know, maybe 100?
phys and chem about 83
adv eng about 84

i guess, no guarantess there

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)