Do Med students do practicals on corpses? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

69^boi

HSC
N/A
juz wondering since med students learn about the human body & so forth, do
university use corpses donated from hospitals as praticals and educational aids?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
yes, they are called cadavers (not sure about spelling sorry).... not just med students use them..... occ therapy, physio, speech pathology, health science blah blah blah..... heaps of those sorts of degrees use cadavers.

69^boi

HSC
N/A
give me the chills man, do students feel like sick or sumfin after using it?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hee cadavers! Yes, but some med schools use them more than others. At Newcastle for example you don't get full cadavers, just bits in big jars.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
69^boi said:
you get use to it after awhile.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Cool. I'm gonna donate my corpse to the university I go to.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
They don't. They merely pay for your cremation fees. The funeral is a formal event in which people gather to remember the deceased.

I could post cadaveric pictures from my textbook here...but I think Robert (Lexicographer) would go the way of political correctness and pull it off straight away. If you really wanna see then I can send to you via e-mail. But yeah first time I put the scalpel to the flesh, I seriously felt like vomiting and crying at the same time. Now nobody gives and we can crack jokes whilst dissecting and still go out after a session to enjoy a nice hearty lunch.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
By the way I feel kinda bad saying this but the bodies look like chunks of meat after a while. Hope I haven't put anybody off dinner :D

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hmm if you add a link to cadaver photos that should be fine. It's not me that'd take the photos down, it's Laz. Some people would be seriously offended (and remember the story of the student who found his own grandma on the slab).

I know what you mean about the meat though. No difference between bovine muscle tissue and simian, just size. It all looks the same.

By the way, you don't need to go very far to see photos of cadavers. They put worse up on www.rotten.com and www.ogrish.org anyway.

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
69^boi said:
Rather, I find that the formalin makes me feel really hungry.

But anyway, at UNSW we use already dissected sections of cadavers.

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
Lexicographer said:
Hmm if you add a link to cadaver photos that should be fine. It's not me that'd take the photos down, it's Laz. Some people would be seriously offended (and remember the story of the student who found his own grandma on the slab).

I know what you mean about the meat though. No difference between bovine muscle tissue and simian, just size. It all looks the same.

By the way, you don't need to go very far to see photos of cadavers. They put worse up on www.rotten.com and www.ogrish.org anyway.
someone on BoS saw his grandma???????

inasero

Reborn
HSC
But anyway, at UNSW we use already dissected sections of cadavers.
Is that so? Do you guys use pots as well? In Monash we get whole cadavers 'fresh' off the slab.
how bout necrophilia? :p
don't go there girlfriend...

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
inasero said:
Is that so? Do you guys use pots as well? In Monash we get whole cadavers 'fresh' off the slab.
There's the Anatomy Museum and the Pathology Museum with pots.
don't go there girlfriend...
Yeah. Don't change the topic to something sick. That wasn't intended to be taken like that...

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
fosweb said:
Rather, I find that the formalin makes me feel really hungry.
OMG cos lik i dun hav breakfast before anymore.. and im starving after..!!! umm personalli i think it looks lik beef jerky.. well the muscle..

i kno my use can kick u out if u do stuff to the cadavar tat is deemed inappropriate.. necrophilia wasnt spelt out.. but i assume.. altho hey nothin beats rigor mortis :D..

umm we get ..
anatomy museam
path pots
limb dissection (later in Med 2)
presented limbs

note i abhor anatomy.. and no longer want to aspire to ever do surgery..

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Everyone finds it somewhat amusing that I want to do OT, and therefore will have anatomy labs, but yet chucked my guts up whilst dissecting a rat in the bio lab this year (actually, everyone found the entire event somewhat amusing, but thats another story)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
Everyone finds it somewhat amusing that I want to do OT, and therefore will have anatomy labs, but yet chucked my guts up whilst dissecting a rat in the bio lab this year (actually, everyone found the entire event somewhat amusing, but thats another story)
hehe hipsta_jess, if you vomit during a rat dissection, what chance do you have in human dissection. :D

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
rats smell lik worse..
OH WARNING DO NO CUT a human large bowel.. unless its been cleared.. OMG in a dead guy,, Its soo awfully potent..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)