Do my ranks really affect my ATAR ??? (1 Viewer)

ayesharivera

HSC
i did pretty crap in my trials (cause i didnt bother studying) resulting in my ranks dropping. I heard somewhere that whatever you get in the HSC exam the person ranked in line with that mark gets that mark...
E.g. currently coming 15th in 'said subject' but I do really well in the HSC and get the top mark in the school for that subject. But whoever is currently ranked 1st will recieve my HSC mark, and whoever came 15th in that exam I will recieve their HSC mark...
Is this true, cause if it is it's unfair and Im not going to bother trying in the HSC if I dont get to receive my actual mark

Last edited:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
i did pretty crap in my trials (cause i didnt bother studying) resulting in my ranks dropping. I heard somewhere that whatever you get in the HSC exam the person ranked in line with that mark gets that mark...
E.g. currently coming 15th in 'said subject' but I do really well in the HSC and get the top mark in the school for that subject. But whoever is currently ranked 1st will recieve my HSC mark, and whoever came 15th in that exam I will recieve their HSC mark...
Is this true, cause if it is it's unfair and Im not going to bother trying in the HSC if I dont get to receive my actual mark

Yes and No and Not Quite.

First off - you always keep your own HSC External mark as your external mark - so 50% of your final result is totally in your hands.

Secondly - the top ranked student internally has their internal mark moderated to the top exam mark - so the top ranked student in your class would get your exam mark as their internal mark, if you topped the external exam. You would get a separate assessment mark.

Thirdly - the 15th ranked exam mark is NOT automatically given to the 15th ranked student - as that could be unfair for a number of reasons - what happens is that the top ranked student gets the external mark as their internal mark and the bottom ranked student usually gets the bottom exam mark as their internal mark. That means that the only common task done by everyone - the external exam - is used to moderate the school tasks that are set and marked by the schools - getting them to the same standard - having used the top and bottom exam marks to set the top and bottom assessment marks the rest of the internal marks are moderating using the same total number of marks gained in the exam, the same mean earned in the exam by the cohort and also keeping the ranks and relative gaps.

It is fair as it allows for students who work their butts off during the year to be rewarded for that effort but also for those who really work hard at the end to also get their reward.

You get three marks - your own exam mark worth 50%, a moderated assessment mark worth 50% and the average of these two marks - the final HSC mark.

enoilgam

HSC
Yes and No and Not Quite.

First off - you always keep your own HSC External mark as your external mark - so 50% of your final result is totally in your hands.

Secondly - the top ranked student internally has their internal mark moderated to the top exam mark - so the top ranked student in your class would get your exam mark as their internal mark, if you topped the external exam. You would get a separate assessment mark.

Thirdly - the 15th ranked exam mark is NOT automatically given to the 15th ranked student - as that could be unfair for a number of reasons - what happens is that the top ranked student gets the external mark as their internal mark and the bottom ranked student usually gets the bottom exam mark as their internal mark. That means that the only common task done by everyone - the external exam - is used to moderate the school tasks that are set and marked by the schools - getting them to the same standard - having used the top and bottom exam marks to set the top and bottom assessment marks the rest of the internal marks are moderating using the same total number of marks gained in the exam, the same mean earned in the exam by the cohort and also keeping the ranks and relative gaps.

It is fair as it allows for students who work their butts off during the year to be rewarded for that effort but also for those who really work hard at the end to also get their reward.

You get three marks - your own exam mark worth 50%, a moderated assessment mark worth 50% and the average of these two marks - the final HSC mark.
This.

ayesharivera

HSC
Ohokay I understand now, thanks! But what happens to the person ranked 1st's original internal marks if they are now going to get the first external mark as their internal mark?

t00l

HSC
i dont really understand this... what do they use to figure out how to moderate the assessment mark? does it depend on the better an external mark u get? e.g a 99 external would moderate the assessment mark higher than a 90?.

taeyang

HSC
The marks from assignments and exams from throughout the year don't matter anymore, they are only there to get you the ranks, so yes ranks are very important, for example:

Students are, A B C and D and their ranks are respectively 1 2 3 and 4, therefore
Name Rank Internal External Final

A 1 90% 30% 60%
B 2 70% 50% 60%
C 3 50% 70% 60%
D 4 30% 90% 60%

So, as you can see, the internal mark is, as you said, the person who is aligned with it in the ranks, hence, since person A got 30%, but they were ranked 1st, their external mark is 30% and their internal mark is now the top mark from your COHORT, so it is 90% as person D got 90%.

So really it is all up to you and your cohort now, if your ranked bad and your cohort sucks... well... sorry buddy... but vice versa, if you are coming 1st and your cohort does bad, it doesn't really matter, you just do what you do and get your mark and they will make up the other half (who knows you might get the top mark and determine your entire mark)

well anyway, hope this clears things up

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Someone post that moderation page on the BOS website...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)