Do people exaggerate the difficulty of the HSC? (1 Viewer)

Schoey93

HSC
I'm not saying it's easy, because it's not. But do you think the HSC will be super-hard like people make it seem? I'm aiming for an ATAR of 87 for Occupational Therapy and whilst I don't think getting that ATAR will be a breeze; people exaggerate...

What do you think, '11ers?

After completing the School Certificate, I know now that my suspicions about it were correct: people have been exaggerating it's difficulty all along and it's worth is minuscule. I know people who got apprenticeships at the end of Year 10 and didn't even show their employer the School Cert, didn't need to.

I know SC and HSC are quite different. But my medical practitioner (she's not a doctor, she hasn't got a doctorate...:eek:) agreed that I "might find the HSC very easy too"

Your thoughts? Do you think the HSC will be easy/hard/in between for you?

Last edited:

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
If you learn your work, it won't be that hard. It'll still be difficult and you'll have to put work in, but it's not impossible.

Schoey93

HSC
Agreed. And that externals are state-wide tests, so they have to have "questions that cater for all levels of ability" which means quite a few simple ones, mainly moderate ones and only a few difficult ones! :)

jet

Banned
HSC
The HSC results you get, I've found, are often proportional to the amount of work you do.

An ATAR of 87 corresponds approximately to straight Band 5's, so they do require some work, though obviously not as much as what you would need to do to get a band 6.

(I'm not trying to say you shouldn't aim for 6's, I'm just saying you should look at how much work it is, not how hard it is. Obviously other subjects (4 unit maths etc etc) are more difficult than others, though the same rule applies).

laila09

HSC
It all depends on who you are.
I will tell you one thing for sure though do not compare it to the school certificate!
The school certificate was rubbish and was sooooooooooo much easier then the HSC !!!
The HSC is full of much harder tests. Particularly english. ( In year 10 it is super easy.)
There are alot more assignments that count to your final grade and there is alot more pressure considering it will score you university entry.

Schoey93

HSC
I could get 87 for OT with straight-85s in all my subjects (but a lower mark in maths, about 80-82).

But I'm not set on Occupational Therapy at USYD yet, I actually would like to be a General Practitioner one day, so I will put three medicine courses at the top of my preferences, do the UMAT and see if I can gun for the ATAR of 95+ (93+ for UWS, 95+ for UNCLE & UNSW).

I think I only have this idea that "HSC requires a lot of work" because all my cousins went really well, Tamara got 94.65 (she may or may not be on BoS), Kurt got about 75 and then Troy worked very hard and ranked 98.65 in '08. When you have cousins who all got decent marks (except maybe Kurt, but in my view 75 is still good - don't ask his mum about it though!) ... Tamara and Troy put in a lot of work... esp. Troy.

I'm aiming for a similar rank on the off-chance that I'm smarter than I think (my IQ is only about 135) and get into medicine, so I will definitely be doing my best ... but sacrifycing things I love like hospitality and occasional sport for the sake of a number (ATAR) ... not gunna do it

Schoey93

HSC
This is probably a question best asked in the Medicine/Medical Sciences tertiary study thread... or not.

How much work does it take to get into medicine? I want to go to UWS for it, because it's a good course despite the stupid lies people spout off about UWS: "It stands for U Went Shit", "only low-ATAR recipients go there", etc. I think medicine at UWS has a better reputation than plain science (sorry to use the word 'plain', couldn't think of a better adjective)...

So MBBS at University of Western Sydney requires only a minimum ATAR of 93.00 and in their course brochure for "Medicine 2010" there's a student who got in (was from greater western Sydney probably) with an ATAR of ~ 94.65. Now USYD Physio is probably an easier, less demanding course than MBBS at any uni in Australia. But the ATAR cut-off is 97.00. I understand that undergraduate medicine/surgery requires a high UMAT score and a successful interview (basically, the university has to see you, and their staff have to agree that you are a kind, well-rounded person who is ready for an MBBS)...but I think that if I worked smart I could get in without much worry?

Anyway, it all depends on personal ability, motivation and determination I have heard. I guess one could say, "if I decide I really want to be a GP, I will be a GP" because saying that I mean that I'm willing to work

adriano_negr0

HSC
I think with the hsc u just have to work afew hours every day, and more for upcoming tests.
Its probs the stress that detrimental to many people

Schoey93

HSC
YES agreed. People stress too much - even me probably! I say to people, "it's just as assignment, don't worry about it so much!" and they bite my head off

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I'm not saying it's easy, because it's not. But do you think the HSC will be super-hard like people make it seem? I'm aiming for an ATAR of 87 for Occupational Therapy and whilst I don't think getting that ATAR will be a breeze; people exaggerate...

What do you think, '11ers?

After completing the School Certificate, I know now that my suspicions about it were correct: people have been exaggerating it's difficulty all along and it's worth is minuscule. I know people who got apprenticeships at the end of Year 10 and didn't even show their employer the School Cert, didn't need to.

I know SC and HSC are quite different. But my medical practitioner (she's not a doctor, she hasn't got a doctorate...:eek:) agreed that I "might find the HSC very easy too"

Your thoughts? Do you think the HSC will be easy/hard/in between for you?
Who the hell in their right minds would exaggerate the difficulty of the SC? It's just like the easiest test ever =='

occer

HSC
N/A
Who the hell in their right minds would exaggerate the difficulty of the SC? It's just like the easiest test ever =='
Yeah I've never ever heard anyone say the SC is a difficult exam.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
It was probably one of the easiest things I've ever done. So yes, dumbasses exagerrate the HSC.

inb4OMGNOTEVERY1ISASSMARTASU

philphie

Banned
HSC
no, people exaggerate the importance of the hsc.

and i still think the year 6 selective test is the hardest test ever, lol

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
If you want Medicine - you have to put work in, because to get a guaranteed place - you need 99.95.

Me? I just want 99.95 for the free lunch =P

Oh yeah, and the Medicine as well.

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Idk. I have a sneaking suspicion that they do that to get those who are "extremely lower than mediocre" to go into tafe before the government changes the law about the leaving age.

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
If you want Medicine - you have to put work in, because to get a guaranteed place - you need 99.95.

Me? I just want 99.95 for the free lunch =P

Oh yeah, and the Medicine as well.
LOL. :)

Free lunch with a 99.95 ATAR

OR

Free drink with an <30 ATAR

Such a difficult choice :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Lunch includes a drink... or at least, I hope it does!

proringz

HSC
no its not that hard, but get some sort of study routine because uni will bite you in the ass if you dont

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)